What's new

India block Pakistan-born Khawaja's visa

linkinpark

Reaction score
India block Pakistan-born Khawaja's visa

SYDNEY (AFP), Tue, Aug 09 2011

Pakistan-born Australian batsman Usman Khawaja on Tuesday said he was being refused a visa into India for next month's Champions League Twenty20 tournament because of his country of birth.

Khawaja vented his anger on social media site Twitter, saying India's visa department "need to sort their issues out".

"Refusing to let me travel to India as an Australian, because I wasn't born here. Wow," wrote the 24-year-old.

In an exchange with his Portuguese-born New South Wales team-mate Moises Henriques, Khawaja said it "wasn't that I wasn't born here but where I was, brother".

Cricket Australia (CA) confirmed that Khawaja's visa had been held up by officials at the Indian High Commission (embassy) but said they were confident of resolving the issue before the tournament.

"There has been a stoppage in the system at the Indian High Commission in Australia with Usman's application," CA spokesman Philip Pope told AFP.

"Cricket NSW and Cricket Australia are seeking to understand the detail behind the stoppage with our colleagues at the Indian High Commission."

Pope said the cricketing body had a long-standing relationship with the Indian mission and "we generally find that we resolve our issues mutually, so we'll work through this once we've understood the detail".

"I can't give you a timeline of when it will be resolved, but I'm confident given our history and our relationship that we will resolve this as soon as possible," he said.

Khawaja, the first Muslim to wear the baggy green for Australia and also a qualified pilot, is on the 20-man long list for the NSW Twenty20 side, of which 15 will ultimately be sent.

The promising young left-hander made his Test debut for Australia in the fifth match of the Ashes series in Sydney in January, signing with Derbyshire later that month for the English domestic season.

David Headley and Tahawwur Rana's case has definitely weighed on in this decision. Since he is a sportsmen, I think he should have been given VISA without any suspicion.

Hold on. So India doesn't issue visa to any Pakistani player?

Hold on. So India doesn't issue visa to any Pakistani player?

I think VISA is only blocked in order to check on the antecedents of the player. I think he will be issued a VISA eventually once everything is right with the background checks.

It is certainly better to be careful than regret later. But important that undue delays should not occur. Good that they did not hold Moses's visa. He was good when he played for Dilliiiiiiiiii.

India needs to be extra careful while dealing with pakistanis. How can one forget David headley. All kind of verification and investigation should be done before providing visa. It is the issue of national security can't take it easy.

It works both ways. He should have know better and applied in advance.

Processing time for Indian visas for people of Pakistani origin is longer than usual.

Processing time for Pakistani visas for people of Indian origin is longer than usual.

India needs to be extra careful while dealing with pakistanis. How can one forget David headley. All kind of verification and investigation should be done before providing visa. It is the issue of national security can't take it easy.

Don't be extra pathetic Praful. The guy is an Australian national and is representing Australia and is their to play cricket. How can he possibly be a risk to your nation? I believe its unfair and unjust. I'm all for tighter controls at borders and being vigilant but Praful i respect you have patriotic views and being pro Indian but don't be so narrow minded and extra childish today.

Don't be extra pathetic Praful. The guy is an Australian national and is representing Australia and is their to play cricket. How can he possibly be a risk to your nation? I believe its unfair and unjust. I'm all for tighter controls at borders and being vigilant but Praful i respect you have patriotic views and being pro Indian but don't be so narrow minded and extra childish today.

A British national of Pakistani origin blew himself up in Kashmir few years back. Surely India has cause to be vigilant.

All thanks to david headley. Sorry mr khwaja hope this wont effect your game.

Superkaif, I advice you to stop your personal attack against me.
How can we forget the Headley incident ? It is better to be careful than sorry. What is wrong with that ? Even if you go to any international airport there is always a extra vigil on pakistani passenger. If world can do that becuase in their national interest why can't we ? We already victim of pakistan sponsored terrorism. And for your kind information the visa is only hold for further verifications and it is not rejected. I hope you understand.

A British national of Pakistani origin blew himself up in Kashmir few years back. Surely India has cause to be vigilant.

Good morning jdme. This is about Usman Khawaja and has nothing to do with British nationals blowing themselves up in Kashmir. Why do you specialize going off topic?

Listen guys why do you have to bring pakistan into everything. Its about an australian national. And Jdme why are you going off topic again and again and again. As a mate I will keep reminding you whenever I come accross your posts until you stop.

Back
Top Bottom