What's new

India building biggest Nuclear Plant of 10,000 MW with France US$ 20 billion project

Problem is I heard the french nuke plant has japanese technology inside them and Japan has no nuclear deal in place with India as of yet so not sure how things will work out in the future.

Given India's history on major foreign purchases, I'd think that India would be just as susceptible to the kind of corruption I was talking about.

That was a time when we had to rely on one or two traditional suppliers for all our needs.

"Beggars cannot be choosers"

Now the situation is completely different --- If "A" is not willing to comply,Goodbye there is always a "B" waiting.

That was a time when we had to rely on one or two traditional suppliers for all our needs.

"Beggars cannot be choosers"

Now the situation is completely different --- If "A" is not willing to comply,Goodbye there is always a "B" waiting.

But what happens if "A" bribes 0.0001% of your population to accept a deal that will be worse for 99.9999% of your population than what "B" has offered?

CS the concerns you've put forth are indeed real. Bribery is as prevalent in India (if not more) as in China. It remains to be seen how GOI and other govt. bodies handle the french.
There is no concrete way to answer the questions you're asking, we can only wait and hope for positive results.

Last edited:
CS the concerns you've put forth are indeed real. Bribery is as prevalent in India (if not more) as in China. It remains to be seen how GOI and other govt. bodies handle the french.
There is no concrete way to answer the questions you're asking, we can only wait and hope for positive results.

All I was trying to say. India should be aware of the French track record.

But what happens if "A" bribes 0.0001% of your population to accept a deal that will be worse for 99.9999% of your population than what "B" has offered?

Then there is an ever prying,sensationalist media,Acts like RTI (Right to Info) etc which can expose you and expose you badly.

Especially companies like L&T which are already unhappy at Govt policies will not mind going public with allegations of corruption which in turn will force the Govt to come clean.

The unearthing of many scams and the Supreme Court's active participation recently has made sure that corruption does not always go un-noticed.

Problem is I heard the french nuke plant has japanese technology inside them and Japan has no nuclear deal in place with India as of yet so not sure how things will work out in the future.

dint we sign nuclear energy pact during recent visit of MMS?

All I was trying to say. India should be aware of the French track record.

Like in most cases, we are on the same page :tup:

I personally think that french becoming the sole supplier (as in case of china) is quite difficult since many nations have already signed contracts with India. But the danger of crushing indigenous nuclear industry still stands.

I wish India all the luck in the world dealing with the French. They just about ruined China's civilian nuclear program, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to do the same thing with India.

The French systemically bribed their way into being China's sole suppliers of reactor technology and it's only in recent years that China has moved away from their product. China just gave a life sentence to the former head of the China nuclear power generation corporation for taking bribes from the French.

Thanks for ur concern if it is.

We are independent in nuclear energy we can build nuke plant, machinery and equipments everything in India.

Even our private sector companies can to it for example L&T, Bharat Forge etc.

What we requires currently is:

1.) Latest technology transfer

2.) Supply of uranium

We are not dependent on any one and we have different sources like Russia, Canada, USA, France etc.

We are giving order to France, USA, Russia etc. because at present we don't have that large manufacturing capacity.

As we are building and enhancing our manufacturing capabilities daily it will take 7-8 years after that we don't need any international supply of machines and equipments.

And in the last our uranium dependence will be taken care by our international purchases and thorium as fuel.

We are working on a well thought plan for future. :wave:

@yeti
i believe we reachd an agrement with d japs with some strings attached
i am almost sure i heard it in news

As a member said earlier wouldn't it be more safe to build it in southindia if we consider a possible war with pak.

@yeti
i believe we reachd an agrement with d japs with some strings attached
i am almost sure i heard it in news

Fraid not sir we still in talks with them because they suffered a nuclear bomb attack so that they have to change local Japanese laws to accom India but dont worry they will soon reach a agreement they wont miss out on $$

Will pampering India’s nuclear ego work anyway?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom