What's new

India confirms deal with Russia for T-90 tanks under a contract of $2 billion

Well those Chinese assisted and products are better than those so called indigenous tejas and Arjun which haven't even been properly inducted. Look at how much al Khalid tanks we have produced or jf 17. My point is you guys should stick to the local industry I know they have the capabilities to produce top tier equipment but I don't know who is to fault about the slow paced induction of home grown equipment.

I never questioned whats better and whats not, all I am trying to say is that the capability existed and was even proved in the 90's . The vision less and corrupt govt did not see personal growth in indigenous development. You don't get commissions out from indigenous products. OFB was not affected by the govt. decision either, they got their salary and appraisals on time. Competition did not exist, all of which has been uprooted by the Modi Govt and the system has been made to function the way it should.

make in india going good man

Even though it was intended to be sarcastic, it did not turn out that way, because Production of T-90's does come under Make in India category.

Well those Chinese assisted and products are better than those so called indigenous tejas and Arjun which haven't even been properly inducted. Look at how much al Khalid tanks we have produced or jf 17. My point is you guys should stick to the local industry I know they have the capabilities to produce top tier equipment but I don't know who is to fault about the slow paced induction of home grown equipment.

There is a problem in India .. Ministry of Defense and Ministry for Industry are not one. MOD says Defense forces have plenty of options to chose from across the globe that is best in the class for most of the cases. Unlike our adversaries who were shoved with indigenous production, low or mediocre products by the west.
Therefore MOD keep on raising the benchmark for indigenous products as defense forces have a high priority task in hand to defend the country rather than help creating an industrial base.
It is a hard reality. Having too many options across platforms do create issues for building industrial bases. And another factor is the cyclic demand in defense equipment.Therefore for continuous demand industry has to produce a world class product too so that export orders can be obtained.

I will not compare Al-Khalid and JF17 with Indian solutions as both countries had different set of choices in the market and resources to fulfill there operational needs.

india is massive country in size with huge econmy and huge military requirement, yet despite many TOT deals since the 1950s some how it doesnt convert them in home based technology
back in 1980s, 70s and 60s when Chinese economy was smaller than india they started developing home based indigenous equipment and were able to field them in late 80s and 90s

the problem is not the potential, india in 1960-80s have developed several different types of weapons(aircrafts, trainers), but of recent, it has a complete shift towards foreign weapons, its because the govtand amry lack will to induct these

navy of note is inducting many home based systems
It won't remain this way in after a decade more.

Defence laws have just been liberalized. Indian private sector companies have only just - like 1 year ago - started jumping in defense production.

The performance of our private sector companies compared to our public sector companies is like comparing Scandinavian countries to Somalia. After a decade, the situation would be very different.

It won't remain this way in after a decade more.

Defence laws have just been liberalized. Indian private sector companies have only just - like 1 year ago - started jumping in defense production.

The performance of our private sector companies compared to our public sector companies is like comparing Scandinavian countries to Somalia. After a decade, the situation would be very different.
nothing is going to change
the problem is not DRDO or production companies but indain army and airforce

IA & IAF have never been encouraging indigenous products, be it now or way back. From my experience as an intern at HAL and working for a couple of contract projects for DRDO & NSTL under a professor during my undergrad, I could say govt organizations do develop world class products, except the fact that most employees in these orgs are recruited through reservation and recommendations but they are definitely better than employees at HAL & OFBs. Arjun seems to be an awesome tank and has also proven its mettle when pitted against the T-90 and proved to be superior except for the weight. If only DRDO works effectively to reduce the weight by using more composites, it would definitely be one helluva tank and could be inducted in large numbers. But the problem with IA & IAF's top brass is, they've been accustomed to being bribed and accepting commissions and kickbacks and hence have an affinity towards foreign maal.

The current NDA govt should make sure IA & IAF follow IN when it comes to inducting indigenous products. Even the artillery guns, IFVs, howitzers, assault rifles that have been indigenously developed by public and private firms like Tata Kestrel, Bharat 52, MCIWS etc should be inducted. Instead of going with the expensive M777, the task can be given to private firms like Tata, Reliance, Kalyani Group etc as they already have the experience building artillery guns and could use that technical expertise to build other equipment that the armed forces are looking abroad. While DRDO handles R&D, full scale production should be given to private firms for better organizational productivity, higher quality products and increased production rate. Should follow suit of Israel, where the Merkava-Mk2 was an inferior tank but they stuck to it and were able to produce the Merkava Mk4 which is world class and also China in this regard as we have systems from different countries, DRDO should study them and possibly reverse engineer for the technical expertise and should integrate the best of all the systems available while developing indigenous tech as reinventing the wheel doesn't always work. For those who think acquiring more T90s is a dent in Make in India, these T90s are Made in India.

no! DRDO and its sisters are the sole owner of all shame.

and how will u send Arjun to the battle field not suitable to its weight category ?
How US brought all their heavy Abrams to Iraq all the way from different continet,that too two time?

How US brought all their heavy Abrams to Iraq all the way from different continet,that too two time?
Americans are rich and their heavy Abrams are lighter than Arjun.

Even if this is T90 MS how is it being chosen without any trials. I personally feel it is the same T90M what India has.

no! DRDO and its sisters are the sole owner of all shame.

and how will u send Arjun to the battle field not suitable to its weight category ?
T90 is junk and arjun was and will always been a capable but understated tank which for the starters is one of the better examples and weight distribution of arjun is better than t 90 if you know i think this was discussed during the user trials carried out in rajasthan t90 will not come don,t worry about it

Back
Top Bottom