What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

Don't derail this thread by your shitty comparison and fake images :(....this is not 1-2 days old troll thread, this thread is 6 year old and best thread for me and many other in this forum.It has 20L + views :smitten:

Looks like another brain fart from good "old" @patentneer.

Metro rail in India

0yRy2DG.png

Metro rail in India

0yRy2DG.png
I think Vijaywada & Vishakhapatnam are going to be next as CBN has good intentions...
Kanpur may start in Jan'16 as UP will have election soon, Agra may get after Kanpur, plan for Varanasi may be announced as Japanese PM will visit city.
There is too much talk going on Kozhikode & TVM but not on ground, I think these cities can start construction as Kerala is near election.
Indore & Bhopal not before 2018 elections.
We may see Guwahati Metro & Ludhiana metros in menifestos, Chandigarh is moving slowly towards implementation. Patna may get one.

Pune & Surat left behind.

Some pictures from Kochi

cc Malayaali on SSC
Updates from Aluva

12346393_1041724979182349_4432407695916459880_n.jpg

12316179_1041725149182332_249690838565531925_n.jpg

12313721_1041724962515684_5914851972978939642_n.jpg

12316451_1041724939182353_6762118648175736292_n.jpg

12311143_1041725175848996_1238216529446223321_n.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the cities can massively overhaul their bus network in the same cost that is being spent on short stretches of metro. Jaipur Metro is a glaring example which sees very low ridership and hasn't contributed to the reduction in traffic or eased commute of the city folks.

Our state govts. have takes it as a status symbol to construct metro systems, while they comfortably ignore a much more cheaper alternate of modernizing their bus/tram network.

Ultimately, the objective is to make commute easier n faster for the people. For Tier 2 cities, bus networks require a massive overhaul and funding. But there is little work on them, except in a few cities.

Metro rail in India

0yRy2DG.png

It is unfortunate that such beautiful trains are not successful in India however fare is not high.
Out of ten started Bhopal-Indore & Howrah-Dhanbad has been closed & most of the trains runs unoccupied(most of these has occupancy just 20%) except successful Delhi-Jaipur & Kacheguda-Tirupati DD.
At present the HWH-DHN double-decker train is laying unmaintained in Howrah station. This train is considered as one of the most unsuccessful train in this route.

Recently inaugurated Mumbai-Goa Double Decker Express
CV4tIuyU8AEwDS9.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the cities can massively overhaul their bus network in the same cost that is being spent on short stretches of metro. Jaipur Metro is a glaring example which sees very low ridership and hasn't contributed to the reduction in traffic or eased commute of the city folks.

Our state govts. have takes it as a status symbol to construct metro systems, while they comfortably ignore a much more cheaper alternate of modernizing their bus/tram network.

Ultimately, the objective is to make commute easier n faster for the people. For Tier 2 cities, bus networks require a massive overhaul and funding. But there is little work on them, except in a few cities.

I agree...and I have to add one more point ..., ever since the metro started , I have wondered the rationale of over-emphasis of metro for a city the size of Jaipur....was it an absolute necessity or merely a political gimmick...don't get me wrong ...I am happy for Jaipur and Rajasthan ...but I just feel it may have been a tad early for the city....Tier 2 cities of other states with a higher population, greater economic output and a far greater need have been left behind in the process ...

^^
Technically speaking, metro game is a funding game.

Metro rolling equipment suppliers -OEM's in shop talk are rich, OECD countries who will give you as much funding money as possible to keep their Union shop boys and their rail factory jobs secure. Not so with bus manufacturers.

Politicians love to bring in metro because it's foreign funded and all the sub-contracts are very-very basic and local re: sand, stone, labour and steel and cement. Imagine the patronage and commissions. Japanese are the best, they don't even bring in terri labour, nor sub-sub contractors. Don't even show up for ribbon cutting, the local politicos hog all the limelight. Same thing with Germans.

Notice however, how all the hoopla flying in the initial Metro's was an all out 'gora' photo op!

r

A rail carriage is loaded into an Antonov 124 cargo aircraft in Parchim, February 25, 2009.
(c) REUTERS/TOBIAS SCHWARZ/FILES

Re: India, this stuff metro is fantastic for commuters but it's also substantially about 'project mgmt.', 'financial engg.' and PESTLE analysis application then just simple public service exclusively. Massive pent-up demand makes up for project success, the poor man's metro, the BRT systems came later and are neither well funded nor present the much juicier patronage-commision opportunities that the well oiled (greased) metro funding game presents. Thus metro!

A synchronised Metro-BRT-Auto is the ideal Long haul-Regional -Last Mile intra city solution for India. A double redundant role can be played by sparse local buses, mini-buses, and even pedal rickshaws. Taxis of course, and bicycles are tertiary connectors. Pedestrian walk is actually a very real last mile alternative in India if done right like in Singapore, given the weather.

Last edited:
Guys there was one post was were China mentioned 340 $ million goes out from India under of miss billing and other stuff. can anyone find that thread ?

Metro rail in India

Hi, thank you for sharing the graph I recently made and posted to my twitter account. It helps set the record and answer a lot of questions that people have. As some of you know, I write daily curated metro progress updates and share progress details & images on twitter. A great chunk of these are not covered in the local print or electronic media. If you guys have any questions, then please don't hesitate to ask. Like you guys, I take pride in chronicling the development of India!

Whenever I get a chance, I'll post a gist of updates here so as to not clutter the thread. I cannot do that right now since the threshold to post links is 30 posts, so please feel free to share my updates here.

Hi, thank you for sharing the graph I recently made and posted to my twitter account. It helps set the record and answer a lot of questions that people have. As some of you know, I write daily curated metro progress updates and share progress details & images on twitter. A great chunk of these are not covered in the local print or electronic media. If you guys have any questions, then please don't hesitate to ask. Like you guys, I take pride in chronicling the development of India!

Whenever I get a chance, I'll post a gist of updates here so as to not clutter the thread. I cannot do that right now since the threshold to post links is 30 posts, so please feel free to share my updates here.

I follow your twitter regularly :cheers:

Your updates are one of the best thing for me on internet.. :-) thanx TMRG for giving valuable updates and knowledge in best way :cheers: _/\_

I follow your twitter regularly :cheers:

That's really good to know! Say Hi to me sometime :cheers:

Your updates are one of the best thing for me on internet.. :-) thanx TMRG for giving valuable updates and knowledge in best way :cheers: _/\_

Wow - that's quite a compliment. I'm glad you like my posts :-)

Last edited:
Today's updates from my end. Can't post links or even images until I reach the threshold, so here's a gist. Please google my name and see the posts for more details and images!

1st Pier Cap Erected for NC01 Section of Noida – Gr.Noida Metro at Sector 51-72
Just 6 days after the first pier cap was erected on a pier of the NC03 section of the 30.016 km Noida – Greater Noida metro line, the first pier cap has now been erected on the NC01 section as well! This feat was achieved on the night of December 10 (Thursday) on Pier# 37 which is located between Sector 51 and Sector 72.

DMRC Starts Recruiting for Visakhapatnam & Mumbai Metro Projects
After the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation was recently appointed to execute the construction of Visakhapatnam’s 42.54 km metro system and Mumbai’s 18.6 km Dahisar – D.N. Nagar metro line, they have gotten down to work already! Recently they updated the career page of their website with new job postings to staff the projects and execute it as per the deadlines agreed upon with the state governments of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra.

21 New Images from Inside Hyderabad Metro’s Nagole Station & Trial Runs
The title of this post is pretty clear. Here’s a post which shows 21 images from inside the completed Nagole station on the ~29 km Nagole – Raidurg metro line. While the section from Nagole to Mettuguda is ready, the Mettuguda – Secunderabad section over the Indian Railways’ lines is still under construction and will take some additional time to get ready.

I could not disagree more. Buses are *not* the way forward, but a way backward. What cities need is an alternative mass transport system that bypasses the roads entirely. Buses will make an already out of control traffic problem worse. Sure, you can have dedicated BRT corridors like Ahmedabad but they are nowhere near the capacity of an equivalent metro system. Plus, what about the fact that they only contribute to vehicular pollution and are not even half as comfortable? Jaipur is not a small city by any measure, with a population touching 4 million, it is a fairly large city.

Besides, why build a metro only after cities become huge and road congestion becomes an unmanageable problem? Why not be proactive and build infrastructure so that bottlenecks are never allowed to spiral out of control?

I agree...and I have to add one more point ..., ever since the metro started , I have wondered the rationale of over-emphasis of metro for a city the size of Jaipur....was it an absolute necessity or merely a political gimmick...don't get me wrong ...I am happy for Jaipur and Rajasthan ...but I just feel it may have been a tad early for the city....Tier 2 cities of other states with a higher population, greater economic output and a far greater need have been left behind in the process ...

Every state and city explores different transport options & opportunities for itself - that's not for the central government to decide or push. It's the local development body's job to hire a planning company to prepare the project's Detailed Project Report and then have it travel up the approval chain. If they want financial assistance, then they can reach out to the central government for their approval (equity funding or foreign loan).

Those cities/state which are proactive (Eg. Lucknow, Kochi) will & have moved ahead and the ones which are stuck due to different reasons which are a creation of their own (Eg. Mumbai, Pune) will be left behind despite the importance of these cities. Quite unfortunate, but they have only themselves to blame.

Back
Top Bottom