What's new

India enters UN Security Council after 19 years

Sonic The Best

New Recruit

Reaction score
India enters UN Security Council after 19 years

After a gap of 19 years, India today formally took its place in the UN Security Council as a new non-permanent member for a two-year term, a position from which it is expected to push its agenda for UN reform .

Along with India, Germany, South Africa, Columbia and Portugal too took their places at the powerful 15-member body of the United Nations.

Regarded as a key emerging political and economic power, India would be the president of the powerful Security Council in August and again later next year, most likely in November 2012, during its two-year term.

India is also likely to be given a key responsibility of heading one of the two key counter-terrorism committees of the Council during its term.

Diplomatic sources privy to the discussions at the United Nations headquarters in New York told PTI that talks are in advance stage to request India to head one of its two key counter-terrorism committees.

India, along with other emerging countries, has been pushing for a reform of the United Nations to reflect the realities of the present day world.

It has also sought an expansion of the UN Security Council to include new permanent members, and has joined hands with the G4 countries (Germany, Japan, South Africa and India) to push for the expansion.

Excluding Japan, all the three countries now find themselves in the Security Council as non-permanent members and are expected to push their agenda jointly.

The five existing non-permanent members are Bosnia, Brazil, Gabon, Lebanon and Nigeria, while India along with Germany, Portugal, South Africa and Columbia joined the Security Council as its new non-permanent members on January 1. India so far has been elected to the Security Council for seven times including the current 2010-2012 term.

Issues related to counter-terrorism, UN peacekeeping operations and human rights would be the top priorities of India as it joins the powerful Security Council after a gap of 19 years, New Delhi's top diplomat to the world body said.

"One of our major pre-occupation is the issue of terrorism. I expect that in the coming months we would have to address that issue through the work of the Council," Hardeep Singh Puri, India's Permanent Representative to the United Nations, told PTI in an interview.

As such India will prepare for a key role in the two committees of the Security Council - the 1267 and 1373 committee, Puri said.

1267 is the Security Council Sanctions Committee concerning al-Qaida and the Taliban and individuals and entities associated with those organisations.

India enters UN Security Council after 19 years - The Economic Times

My country Yugoslavia deserves a seat more than India. And I guess the condition of that two year term is: you don't push.

India to be UNSC president twice; first in Aug, 2011

India, regarded as a key emerging political and economic power, would be the president of the powerful United Nations Security Council in August and again later next year, most likely in November 2012, during its two-year term.

According to the list of its monthly-rotating presidency released by Security Council, India would preside over the meetings of this 15-membered body in the month of August.

The presidency of the Security Council is held in turn by its members in the English alphabetic order of their names.

India's presidency would be preceded by its key European ally Germany in July. Lebanon would take over from India the Security Council presidency in September 2011.

Bosnia Herzegovina is the Security Council president for the current month. Brazil is scheduled to take over the presidency in the month of February.

Officials at the UN said India would again get a chance next year, most probably in November, a month before its term expires in December 2012.

It was in June 1950 when India for the first time ever presided over the presidency of the Security Council.

Sir Benegal Narsing Rau was the Indian Ambassador to the United Nations then; who again presided over the Security Council meetings in the month of March 1951.

The Security Council has 15 members, five of which are veto wielding permanent members, while the rest 10 are non-permanent members; half of which are elected every alternate years for a two-year term.

The five existing non-permanent members are Bosnia, Brazil, Gabon, Lebanon and Nigeria; while India along with Germany, Portugal, South Africa and Columbia joined the Security Council as its new non-permanent members on January 1. India so far has been elected to the Security Council for seven times including the current 2010-2012 term.

India was elected to this prestigious body soon after its independence 1950-1951; thereafter it was elected in 1967-68; 1972-73; 1977-78; 1984-85 and 1991-92.

During its 1967-67 term, India presided over the Security Council only once in the month of September 1967 with Gopalaswami Parthasarathi being its Ambassador.

The then Indian Ambassador to the US, Samar Sen, was the president of the Security Council for the month of December 1972 during India's two-year term of 1972-73; while Rikhi Jaipal presided over its meetings in the month of October 1977 during its two-year term of 1977-78.

Similarly during its 1984-85 term, India got only one chance to preside over the Security Council meetings in February 1985 when Natarajan Krishnan was the Indian Ambassador to the UN. However, the then Indian Ambassador to the UN, Chinmaya R Gharekhan, presided over the Security Council meeting twice in October 1991 and December 1992, during India's last two-year term in the apex body of the United Nations.

India to be UNSC president twice; first in Aug, 2011

My country Yugoslavia deserves a seat more than India. And I guess the condition of that two year term is: you don't push.
then ask your country to increase her share to UN, may be thats best you can do to push India out of it, incase thats your hidden intention;)..

then ask your country to increase her share to UN, may be thats best you can do to push India out of it, incase thats your hidden intention;)..

I get it. Many people in this weird time in history are shameless all across the global. I understand.

But I argue that my country deserves more than India to be in the security council. What have you done in the past to contribute world peace? Military might and economic output will never be *only* judgement of that. Though I am from a small country than India, but we are always at the for-front fighting fascism, being them Germans or American(1 million+ of my brothers died to fight the Nazi Germany, but for you, I guess you would just simply give up, you do have a track record). What have you done to deserve the seat?
Or maybe take on an army of "United Nations" make a draw, afterwards maybe in order to save "UN"'s credibility Chinese got a seat later on? Can you do that? Can you imagine you can deal with a "united nations" army with different colors?

The last time I checked Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore. Its was broken into Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo (although disputed), Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia. So would you care to explain which of the countries deserve the UNSC seat more than India? :undecided:

The last time I checked Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore. Its was broken into Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo (although disputed), Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia. So would you care to explain which of the countries deserve the UNSC seat more than India? :undecided:

There is something in the world called change.
Anything can change for the better, or for the worse.

YES WE CAN!

There is something in the world called change.
Anything can change for the better, or for the worse.

YES WE CAN!

Sure but in that case you should've used either a past tense or a future tense in your initial statement. That way there might had been some scope for arguments and counter arguments. But using a present tense made the whole scenario fictional, don't you think?

First of all know something there is no Yugoslavia anymore.. when you chose the flag, you got lucky because the forum is not updated on it.. Now yugoslavia is Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia.

Break up of Yugoslavia

685px-Breakup_of_Yugoslavia.gif

next time choose a better flag!

Back
Top Bottom