What's new

India expanding military nuclear site: US think tank

Haanzo

Reaction score
A Washington-based think-tank has claimed that India is expanding its military nuclear site near Mysore.

In a statement released on the eve of crucial Indo-US Strategic Dialogue the Institute for Science and International Security said on Thursday that Google Earth imagery showed initial excavations and construction of a large building or buildings at the Rare Materials Plant site in Karnataka.

"While the construction is in its early stages in this image, the size of the building or buildings to be constructed indicates that these will be large industrial buildings," it said as it released a satellite picture of the site taken on March 30.

"A DigitalGlobe satellite image from 2005 shows the same area as undeveloped with several adjacent ponds," it said referring to the older picture of the same site.

"Based on procurement data and public advertisements for bidding requests, ISIS concluded in 2006 that India was on the verge of adding at least 3,000 centrifuges to the RMP," it claimed.

"If the construction seen in the March 3, 2010 imagery is for a new gas centrifuge hall, India's uranium enrichment capacity at RMP will be greatly expanded," ISIS claimed.

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::
:cheers:

MORE ABOUT THE RARE MATERIALS PLANT

The Rattehalli Rare Materials Plant (RMP) is located near Mysore in Karnataka state. This pilot-scale gas centrifuge uranium enrichment plant, with several hundred centrifuges, is generally believed to be capable of producing several kilograms of HEU each year. The two US-built light water reactors at Tarapur are the only civil reactors in India that require low-enriched uranium fuel. All other Indian power reactors use natural uranium fuel and heavy water as a moderator. Consequently, India does not have large-scale uranium enrichment facilities. The unsafeguarded facility, which was built in the late 1980s, is reported to be intended to enrich uranium for future use in fuelling nuclear-powered submarines.

It is reported that indigenously enriched uranium was used in the two low-yield weapons tested in 1998, leading to speculation that the material may have been obtained Rare Materials Plant in Mysore, site of BARC’s uranium enrichment plant, or possibly from the Fast Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR) project at the Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) in Kalpakkam. However, most of the fissile material used in the tests probably came from BARC in Trombay.

Google Image Result for http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/india/images/n13e76.gif

PEOPLE THINKING THAT INDIA WILL BE SQUATTING AND WILL DO NOTHING WHILE PAKISTAN INCREASES ITS NEUCLEAR ARSENAL ARE PLAIN FOOLISH AT BEST :azn:

:cheers:

IMO India has a strategy of working secretly on nukes as they understand if world knows about it they get paranoid result will be banning nuclear supplies for power plant which impacts growth.

But I feel making more nukes is insane, both India and Pakistan should talk and get this thing worked. Enough is enough time to develop good relationship.

IMO India has a strategy of working secretly on nukes as they understand if world knows about it they get paranoid result will be banning nuclear supplies for power plant which impacts growth.

But I feel making more nukes is insane, both India and Pakistan should talk and get this thing worked. Enough is enough time to develop good relationship.

Well the more nukes are not for Pakistan.

To completely destroy Pakistan, 10-20 are more then enough, the rest are for China or may be as India wants to become a super power, it may face more enemies at that stage or just for safe side, it wants to increase its nuke numbers.

To completely destroy Pakistan, 10-20 are more then enough, the rest are for China or may be as India wants to become a super power, it may face more enemies at that stage or just for safe side, it wants to increase its nuke numbers.

That is insanity IMO, I am not fan of Nukes.

Yep...on the spot.:tup:

That is insanity IMO, I am not fan of Nukes.

well looking at the death and destruction and long term affects of nukes, no one in its sane mind would use it or keep it.

But our world has changes so much that they damn care if they make humans extinct.

Power & power & power is the only motto of countries now.

Everyone thinks about race, nationality, tribe or whatever, no one thinks like a human being.

These same nukes which the world is getting to defend itself, one day would lead to their own destruction.

BLAH BLAH..to destroy Pak we need only 4 or 5 to target major cities..its a waste to bomb deserts... and the superpower India may become a superpauper in future if the amount spend on possessing these weapons, arrogant way a power projection...aren't a poor monsoon enough to destroy a super power like INDIA ?

Last edited:
BLAH BLAH..to destroy Pak we need only 4 or 5 to target major cities..its a waste to bomb deserts...can't imagine the amount spend on possessing these weapons....

The Nuclear Bombs are an integral part of national security. Without it China would have been all over us. So the amount spent is justified and we should to develop more in the future. Current no i think is between 70-80 and we should at least target 100.

Current no i think is between 70-80 and we should at least target 100.
I would like to disagree here. 70-80 nukes are enough for us.We must concentrate more on energy from nuclear fuel and development.

:lol::lol: the same Indians were angry over information about Pakistani nukes by another think tank while the same are advocating expansion of Indian nuclear sites.

What a world. And isnt it funny that one think tank is scaring India by spreading disinformation that Pakistan is increasing nukes to take over or over take :P India while the other think tank is coming up with news of expansion by India.

Good psyops by zionists

may be as India wants to become a super power, it may face more enemies at that stage or just for safe side, it wants to increase its nuke numbers.

I always wondered that would US allow India to undermine US power status ??

My answer = No.

But that said, what gives you and idea that India allows US to dictate its policy? Do you forget why NSG was formed? Afterall it was only in the recent past that the first ever waiver was given to India, a non NPT signatory. But did the forming of NSG in 1975 change anything for India?

Further, it is pedestarian vision to think that India is seeking global dominance. NO. That is not the stated objective and will be in fact foolish for India to aspire to with our current state of economy and technology.

India's power projection aspirations are limited to ensuring that there is enough deterrence and any trigger happy administration who may be dreaming of routing India and stopping its progress, thinks several times about a "chilly mushroom" scenario before embarking up on the adventurism. Afterall we live in a dangerous neighbourhood!!

What would US do to stop India, or any other country (Read China, Brazil, etc)? Besides, in a few decades if not years, it will have its hands full with China..

Is it right to assume that India is increasing its arsenal with development of just one enrichment plant, when we have so many nuke plants (some compact, for ships and subs) to build? So many plans for future nuclear energy harvesting. And its still a assumption that this plant is for U-enrichment and has nothing to do with thorium.

Back
Top Bottom