What's new

India ignored my asylum plea, claims Julian Assange

omkar

Reaction score
LONDON: India should give political asylum to American whistleblower Edward Snowden for exposing the US cyber snooping programme that targeted India in a big way, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange told TOI on Wednesday.

Assange, who is holed up in the Ecuadorian embassy in London since June 19 last year, said in an exclusive interview that India was among the first countries he had approached for asylum. But he never heard back.

"I was disappointed and saddened that India, known for upholding human rights, never got back despite several requests by me for asylum. Indians are also great supporters of WikiLeaks. I therefore contacted the foreign office through the Indian high commissioner. I wrote to them but they never responded," Assange said over telephone.

When contacted, MEA officials in New Delhi said they had no record of Assange seeking asylum in India.

The WikiLeaks founder said that if a small nation like Ecuador could have the guts to provide him asylum, India which has considerable global standing with a billion-plus population should not be afraid of "standing up for human rights" and giving Snowden asylum. "Ecuadorians showed immense courage and granted me asylum," he added.

Assange called Snowden a hero for exposing "the most serious events of the decade" — how America was snooping into people's emails, phone calls, messages en masse and across the globe. "It was because of Snowden that India came to know how US was snooping on them. It is an obligation for India to protect Snowden. India is a super power and does not have to fear other nations. Now is the time for India to show it stands up for human rights," he said.

Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for CIA who later worked for the US National Security Agency through contractors, is believed to be still in Hong Kong, from where he leaked details of a top-secret US surveillance programme, Prism. Assange warned Snowden against serious witch-hunting by the US government and said he should look at getting political asylum in Latin American countries which have in the last decade been "champions of human rights".

The Australian information activist, who is trying to avoid extradition to face "trumped up" charges of sexual offences in Sweden, said he is still willing to take asylum in India if such an offer comes.

"I have never been to India. But I have lots of friends there. WikiLeaks has a big support base in India. But the government should show more courage," Assange said.

India ignored my asylum plea, claims Julian Assange - The Times of India

Its true, India does not have balls to have a showdown with sweden or US..

Dear Assange, since you were the whistle blower so u can't be given protection here. Had you been a politician, corrupt bureaucrat, murderer, Bollywood actor or cricketer, high profile businessmen, corrupt then even without your asking, asylum would have been provided to you and that with top level security. Since u are poor common honest fighter, so forget the protection. :omghaha:

I was disappointed and saddened that India, known for upholding human rights, never got back despite several requests by me for asylum. Indians are also great supporters of WikiLeaks. I therefore contacted the foreign office through the Indian high commissioner. I wrote to them but they never responded," Assange said over telephone.

India has no guts to face eye to eye with the US, again inferior complex in play....

I am in dilemma, my mind says no & my heart says we should grant asylum to Assange :undecided:

But in Edward Snowden , we should definitely give asylum to him.

Neither Pakistan has guts to face eye to eye with US, Again Inferior Complex in Play.......:omghaha: :laughcry:

Yet we never brag about being a Souppower in the forming....

We know our strength as well as weakness, not like you, the largest democrazr...

It would be wise on the part of Assange and Edward
Snowden if they stay away from India, since India can exchange them for Hadely.

Yet we never brag about being a Souppower in the forming....

We know our strength as well as weakness, not like you, the largest democrazr...

When did we brag that we are supa powa ?? And we are largest democracy by population whole world acknowledges this.

Julien Assange leaks until now only troubled USA's target countries, not USA. How can his leaks which are USA's diplomatic cables , not trouble USA??

USA which has done lot of wars for its Business interests and Oil interests is not getting troubled with these leaks.

If you look at the last two decades lot of activity happened in USA, which has fought lot of wars in Yugoslavia, Iraq war 1, 9/11 attacks, Iraq war 2.

Nothing comes in those cables related to Iraq war 2 which was waged based on lies and false propaganda.

similarly they are snatching oil from middle east and destabilizing Govts. there, why there are no cables regarding this in wikileaks??

If the leaks of Julian Assange are true then US Democracy would have been in crisis situation , But nothing happened like that.

But the countries which are targeted by USA is being destabilized with these dubious leaks.

These leaks are nothing but chatter in different contexts and they are like puzzle.

This guy works for CIA for sure.

If you look at the way he released the cables, USA which is the biggest hacker in the world helplessly watched which is absurd, considering what ever equipment they release into the market like micro processors, O.S they know them how to control.

These decisions are not taken emotionally. I am sure the Indian govt has taken the decision after carefully weighing the pros and cons if there was request from him.

Back
Top Bottom