What's new

India, Japan to finalise aircraft pact during Shinzo Abe's India visit

Rangila

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Japan_U2_Shin_Maywa.jpg

The ShinMaywa US-2 is a Japanese large STOL amphibious aircraft designed for air-sea rescue (SAR) work. The US-2 is scheduled to replace the older ShinMaywa US-1A

NEW DELHI: India and Japan are set to firm up an agreement to jointly produce amphibious military aircraft during the upcoming visit of Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, in what could be the first defence deal between the two countries.

The US 2 amphibious aircraft, that has applications for search and rescue, surveillance as well as intelligence gathering, will be produced in India not only for domestic orders but will also be pitched jointly for exports in the region and beyond.

The two sides are also expected to firm up a larger umbrella pact to promote the joint development and production of military systems in line with Make in India initiative.

Japan_U2_Shin_Maywa.jpg

The ShinMaywa US-2 is a Japanese large STOL amphibious aircraft designed for air-sea rescue (SAR) work. The US-2 is scheduled to replace the older ShinMaywa US-1A

NEW DELHI: India and Japan are set to firm up an agreement to jointly produce amphibious military aircraft during the upcoming visit of Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, in what could be the first defence deal between the two countries.

The US 2 amphibious aircraft, that has applications for search and rescue, surveillance as well as intelligence gathering, will be produced in India not only for domestic orders but will also be pitched jointly for exports in the region and beyond.

The two sides are also expected to firm up a larger umbrella pact to promote the joint development and production of military systems in line with Make in India initiative.

Who will be the customer IN or Cost Guard ?

Personally . I think it ll b waste of money ! m aware of its merits bt dere r other important acquisitions waiting in da pipe line ...My 2 cents !

Personally . I think it ll b waste of money ! m aware of its merits bt dere r other important acquisitions waiting in da pipe line ...My 2 cents !

I think its more of a Political purchase to form a strong tie and to piss off the Chinese.. but in future i'll not rule out a torpedo falling out of this planes..

I think its more of a Political purchase to form a strong tie and to piss off the Chinese.. but in future i'll not rule out a torpedo falling out of this planes..
Yeah evn i had this thought in my mind........its more of SIGNAL to chinkaas.....But an Expensive 1 Lol

Hey guys . Any news about the soryu class subs for indian navy? I know there is little chance of that happening , but would love to see soryus in the IN . As they say, the heart wants what the heart wants . Cheers

Yup, a Torpedo or a Brahmos is a certainly down the line.

Hey guys . Any news about the soryu class subs for indian navy? I know there is little chance of that happening , but would love to see soryus in the IN . As they say, the heart wants what the heart wants . Cheers

Japan has done ToT for Australia, so its very much in the realms of possibilities.

[QUOTE="Japan has done ToT for Australia, so its very much in the realms of possibilities.[/QUOTE]

last i heard aussies were having hard time asking for soryuz class subs.. when did the deal finalised ?

upload_2015-11-26_14-46-8.png

capability_img02.gif

capability_img02_02.gif

capability_ttl05.gif

The world's only amphibian equipped with a BLC (Boundary Layer Control) powered high-lift device, the US-2 can cruise at extremely low speeds (approx. 90 km/h) and take off and land on water within a very short distance.

capability_img05_02.gif

capability_img05_03.gif

capability_img05.gif

Last edited:
capability_ttl06.gif

ShinMaywa's original spray suppressor and spray strip realize excellent seaworthiness, thereby preventing damage to airframes when landing on water. Together with its capability to cruise at extremely low speeds, the US-2 can take off and land on water with waves up to three meters high.

capability_img06.jpg

capability_img07.gif

upload_2015-11-26_15-14-29.png

Performance of the State-of-the-Art US-2 | Aircraft | ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd.

rescue_titleimg.jpg

Capable of taking off and landing on the ocean, the US-2 can quickly reach remote islands without an airport or sites of maritime accidents, efficiently transporting the wounded and urgent patients in emergencies.

rescue_ttl01.gif

Flow of rescue operations at sea or a remote island

rescue_img01.jpg

View attachment 274945
Amphibians around the World | Aircraft | ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd.

purpose_titleimg.jpg

The US-2 can take off and land on rough seas, as well as on the ground. Originally developed for the Ministry of Defense of Japan, some of its equipment has the potential for diverse applications other than rescue work and transport of emergency patients, if converted for usage by the private sector or other ministries and agencies.

Last edited:
passenger_ttl01.gif

Thanks to its extremely short distance for takeoff and landing on water, the US-2 can function without a land runway if it is used as a passenger transport amphibian. This makes it possible to open air routes to remote islands in an environmentally friendly manner.

passenger_kousou_ttl.gif

passenger_kousou_img01.gif

Connecting a distance of approx. 1,000 km in about 150 minutes (one way)
Reducing travel time to approx. 1/10 (takes an entire day by ship)

passenger_kousou_img02.jpg

passenger_image_ttl.gif

The US-2 requires minimal landing facilities for operation.

passenger_image_img01.gif

Passenger Transport Amphibians | Aircraft | ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd.

multi_ttl01.gif

In addition to the current principal service of transporting urgent patients from remote islands, the US-2 offers a wide variety of applications that serve to implement the basic plan laid out in the Basic Act on Ocean Policy, including providing remote islands with healthcare support, transporting relief supplies, and preservation of national land.

multi_ritou_ttl.gif

Quickly offering healthcare support to remote islands that cannot be covered by ships and helicopters

multi_ritou_img01.jpg

multi_kinkyu_ttl.gif

In the case of a disaster, the US-2 transports personnel, relief supplies, etc. to areas that cannot be accessed by land. Should the airport be damaged, the US-2 can land on a nearby sea, lake, river, etc.

multi_kinkyu_img01.gif

multi_hozen_ttl.gif

The US-2 boasts a long flight range of approx. 4,500 km, making it possible to perform prompt conservation (shore protection work, etc.) of islands far from the mainland, such as Okinotori Island.

multi_hozen_img02.jpg

multi_hozen_img02_02.jpg

Multipurpose Amphibians | Aircraft | ShinMaywa Industries, Ltd.

The US-2 buy is largely strategic in nature , i.e. to symbolise and cement the burgeoning Indo-Japanese relationship? As such it doesn't have to be an ideal match in terms of operational requirements and in the context of other fielded platforms, it just has to be useful in its chief task. Like the dedicated ASW role for P8I. The US-2 does not have the systems & weapons of P-8I. Integrating them would be a major & expensive task. Its chief role is search & rescue.

The two typres have different capabilities & roles. The P-8I can not do SAR, & the US-2 can not do ASW & MR without time & a lot of money being spent on it, & it's a lighter, slower aircraft.

My (limited) understanding of the current position is that Japan is not ready to sell India a US-2 which is either armed, or equipped (as in systems on board) to be armed. Whether India could buy bare aircraft & fit systems & weapons to them I do not know. The current policy seems vague. When it was first announced, Japanese manufacturers of weapons & dual-use equipment complained about the vagueness, but now I suspect it's deliberate. I think the government would like to open the door quite wide, but daren't say so. A vague policy allows it to be very gradually pushed open. But I can't prove it: this is an opinion based on nothing solid.

Back
Top Bottom