What's new

India, Maldives intensify defence, counter-terror cooperation

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India%20and%20Maldives%20Flag.jpg

Steeping up their defence ties, India and the Maldives Sunday agreed on an array of steps to step up their cooperation in areas of counter-terrorism, anti-piracy operations and maritime security in the Indian Ocean.

Defence Minister A.K. Antony held talks with his Maldivian counterpart, Col. (retd) Mohamed Nazim, in the capital Male and discussed a host of security-related issues, including counter-terror cooperation.

Amid China’s increasing foray into the strategically located island nation, the Maldivian minister assured that his country will “stand side by side with India” to ensure that maritime security of Indian Ocean is ensured.

He stressed that the two sides will work together to ensure that “the stability in the region is maintained; and above all, that the threats that our two countries face, particularly from terrorist groups and other non-state actors are eliminated”.

Counter-terror cooperation has acquired an added urgency in view of reports of the rise of Islamic redicalism in the Indian Ocean island nation, better known for coral beaches and exotic holiday islands.

In the morning, Antony formally inaugurated a military hospital called “Senahiya” in Male (Maldives), which has been built with the assistance of the Indian government.

He described the hospital as “a shining model of collaboration and cooperation between two friendly neighbouring countries and a milestone symbolising the bonds of close friendship between the two nations between the two Armed forces”.

India has also provided a highly qualified medical team for establishing and running of the 25-bedded military hospital.

Antony stressed on closer cooperation between the two countries in combating terrorism, drug-trafficking and piracy.

Nazim thanked India for assistance and underlined that the “enduring friendship between the two countries will continue to improve and expand irrespective of the political changes”.

Antony will call on Maldives President Mohamed Waheed before returning to India Monday. India hosted the new Maldives president in May this year and has consistently pushed for an inclusive political reconciliation after the Feb 7 transfer of power in the Indian Ocean atoll nation.

Antony also conveyed India’s readiness to position the Indian Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv helicopter, operating in Maldives since 2010, for another two years.

There were also proposals in the area of training. India will be sending a team of qualified flying instructors to train Maldivian Air Wing personnel and provide simulator training to Maldivian helicopter pilots at Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd., Bangalore.

The two sides will also hold the next joint army exercise, Ekuverin, in November 2012.

Antony’s three-day visit to the Maldives acquires an added significance in view of China’s enhanced forays into the strategically-located island nation.

In November last year, China opened a grand embassy in Male, signalling Beijing’s strategic intent to intensify relations with the Maldives.

India, Maldives intensify defence, counter-terror cooperation | idrw.org

maldives have a IN base IMO.. seychelles have, madagascar have, oman have, Andamans have.. IN has placed it's listening posts everywhere across IOR. Also, IN has the most experience of doing hydrographic surveys in the entire IOR. We have deep sea listening pods and submarine hiding spots ready to gobble up any uppity across scs ;)

Looking at the kind of new threats coming, we still have a long way to go.

I saw Maldives pictures on Google images... its looks very beautiful.
I wish to go there one day.

Bo disrespect or anything.
Do you think, i need Visa to go there as German? or its visa free for us?
I couldn't find embassy website online. And when is the best time to go?

I saw Maldives pictures on Google images... its looks very beautiful.
I wish to go there one day.

Bo disrespect or anything.
Do you think, i need Visa to go there as German? or its visa free for us?
I couldn't find embassy website online. And when is the best time to go?

As far as I know Maldives has visa on arrival facility for all nationalities.

Antony Lays Foundation Stone Of Maritime Training Academy Of Maldives

7995713723_888576c25f.jpg

India Maldives Agree To Boost Defence Cooperation, Military Hospital Built With Indian Assistance Opened

7995488242_f02fba8ed2.jpg

7995487540_e926f18d17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom