What's new

India not granted MFN status, says Gilani

Another case of Gilani proposes Kyani disposes !!

PA didn't give permission to the PM of Pakistan to grant india MFN status.:tdown:

Everything is not over, in a few weeks time there will be an announcement on MFN status to India, otherwise it will be a highly embarrassing.

Anybody wanna bet ???

Everything is not over, in a few weeks time there will be an announcement on MFN status to India, otherwise it will be a highly embarrassing.

Anybody wanna bet ???

If you have money to waste ,give me instead...

I have some information, and I can categorically state, that is not the type of relationship we have with the PRC.

Do you agree that in Geo-politics there are no saints??? Everybody look after their interests??? If you do then read the rest of the post otherwise just simply ignore...

Unless and until you have a relationship of equals there will always be dictation from the stronger ally...Now if you think you are as strong as china then we have nothing to debate about but in case you agree otherwise you can join the dots...China like Pakistan will go after her interests and in case there is a conflict of interest i don't see any reason of China using her influence to change course of Pakistan...We have seen this in case of relations with US and can happen the same with China should there be any conflict of interests...

Why are you crying, we are sovereign nation, and can grant whatever we want, to who ever we want.
Your sovereignty is a little questionable at the moment but lets talk from the India's perspective...We gave you MFN way back in mid 90's...we have lived and progressed well without it for so long...and will continue to do so....No one is complaining about this aspect but flip flop on this issue certainly makes you a bit anxious on what the heck is going on there???

This is what happens when you do not consult the seniors... I hope the seniors also will realise that its in everybody's interest.

Awesome news. So looks like this government does have some sense after all.

If you have money to waste ,give me instead...

I think Spark will win the bet.

I agree Pakistan cannot back track now. They have made euphoric statements and if they back track they will be looked at as a bunch of jokers.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Awesome news. So looks like this government does have some sense after all.

Oh yes. This is the most sensible thing a Government can do. Well done Zardari and Co.

Next time before GoP make announcements "in principle" talk to your army.

Why are you crying, we are sovereign nation, and can grant whatever we want, to who ever we want.

Not really, your statement would be valid only if Pakistan wants to withdraw from the WTO. It is mandatory for countries who signed that treaty to give equal access to all members which contrary to most opinions here, is what MFN is. There are two ways to deal with any unfair trade practices; levy anti dumping duty and take the case to arbitration under WTO rules. Anti dumping duties will be challenged & one must be able to justify them. No arbitrary tariffs can be directed against products of a single country without being able to prove unfairness in that trade. One can have general tariffs applying to all countries which is what India does (& what Pakistani exporters protest & deliberately portray it as something that is directed against Pakistan alone). If Pakistani industries cannot handle Indian competition, they can ask for higher tariffs but which must be applicable to all countries. Any India specific tariff will be challenged & Pakistan will face sanctions against its products in return.

Not really, your statement would be valid only if Pakistan wants to withdraw from the WTO. It is mandatory for countries who signed that treaty to give equal access to all members which contrary to most opinions here, is what MFN is. There are two ways to deal with any unfair trade practices; levy anti dumping duty and take the case to arbitration under WTO rules. Anti dumping duties will be challenged & one must be able to justify them. No arbitrary tariffs can be directed against products of a single country without bring able to prove unfairness in that trade. One can have general tariffs applying to all countries which is what India does (& what Pakistani exporters protest & deliberately portray it as something that is directed against Pakistan alone). If Pakistani industries cannot handle Indian competition, they can ask for higher tariffs but which must be applicable to all countries. Any India specific tariff will be challenged & Pakistan will face sanctions against its products in return.

Pakistan is also a member of SAFTA. They signed it long back but no action.

The SAFTA agreement was introduced with a view of levying zero customs duty for trading any product by the year 2012. The SAFTA agreement was implemented only after confirmation of compliance by the governments of the seven member nations. If the SAFTA agreement is religiously and judiciously followed, the agreement is likely to bring about economic stability in the member nations. The agreement may also facilitate healthy trade as well as investment relationship across borders thereby bringing about many structural reforms in the economy of the seven countries. However, there are certain obstacles, which hinders trade across South Asian countries as a result of, which trade across borders of the South Asian countries account for only 5% of the total trade. The reason can be attributed to two prominent factors. They are political reasons and too much protectionism.

I am just a member like you are; many of my posts are deleted too! :)

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Well, to be fair, crooks come in both uniformed and non-uniformed varieties. Which ones do you have in mind?

I didnt say there are no crooks in army. There are good and bad in army. However the likes of you use that to smear our armed forces who are ready to die to protect us. But political leaders are 100% crooks. See some of us know the difference.

Anybody wanna bet ???
Gilani hasn't outright rejected granting MFN status to India either - he merely clarified that the initial announcement was related to cabinet approval in principle, with the matter going to the Commerce secretary to hash out the details and implementation.

Read the details rather than the headlines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom