What's new

INDIA OPPOSE UN RESOLUTION AGAINST CHILD MARRIAGE

Agnostic_Indian

Reaction score
Country
India
Another feather on UPA' govt's cap..biggest democracy in the world..my country just refused to support UN Resolution against child marriages...reasons are anybody's guess..
*apart from India Bangladesh is the only asian country which is on board with India in this ridiculous decision.
total 107 nations supported the resolution..and we are not among them..what a shame!

I disagree. This objection by India is valid against a world order based on Abrahamic value systems, being imposed by UN.

On one is interested in knowing the Hindu way of life and just want to impose their social order on us.

India has a tradition where child marriage were conducted but these marriages are consumed only when the girl reaches an age of legal consent. Till then the 'marriage' is nothing more than an engagement.

Even then the girl or boy could legally walk away from that marriage without too much adverse effect.

Sri. Narendra Modi is one such victim of child marriage and he walked away from that institution on reaching maturity and gave freedom to his child bride to marry anyone else and build her own life.

I strongly disagree with outsiders tell us how to run our life or teach us human rights or morality.

I am in no way condoning child marriage, but I will not let outsiders decide what is best for us.

Social emancipation happens with economic emancipation and the govt. should focus on that instead of wasting time and resource trying to address a social problems with its own history and reasons with elitist laws that have nothing to do with grass root Indian thought and realities.

Another feather on UPA' govt's cap..biggest democracy in the world..my country just refused to support UN Resolution against child marriages...reasons are anybody's guess..
*apart from India Bangladesh is the only asian country which is on board with India in this ridiculous decision.
total 107 nations supported the resolution..and we are not among them..what a shame!

What has being the largest democracy to do with Govt stand on such issues ?

What has being the largest democracy to do with Govt stand on such issues ?

Dammit these idiots
& Why is Bangladesh Not supporting it

I disagree. This objection by India is valid against a world order based on Abrahamic value systems, being imposed by UN.

On one is interested in knowing the Hindu way of life and just want to impose their social order on us.

India has a tradition where child marriage were conducted but these marriages are consumed only when the girl reaches an age of legal consent. Till then the 'marriage' is nothing more than an engagement.

Even then the girl or boy could legally walk away from that marriage without too much adverse effect.

Sri. Narendra Modi is one such victim of child marriage and he walked away from that institution on reaching maturity and gave freedom to his child bride to marry anyone else and build her own life.

I strongly disagree with outsiders tell us how to run our life or teach us human rights or morality.

I am in no way condoning child marriage, but I will not let outsiders decide what is best for us.

Social emancipation happens with economic emancipation and the govt. should focus on that instead of wasting time and resource trying to address a social problems with its own history and reasons with elitist laws that have nothing to do with grass root Indian thought and realities.

No, that is not the reason behind the opposition. The reason comes from the Islamic laws in India that allow marriage of girls at the age of 15. To oppose this resolution, India would have to prohibit these marriages by law.

The contention given by you - seeing child marriages as mere engagements as they are not consummated till gauna, is a highly flawed one on two grounds:

1. Child marriages that you refer to, are unconstitutional and illegal and warrant immediate arrest. When they are already illegal in India, why would the nation abstain from voting in favor of a similar resolution on global level?

2. Such child marriages are not part of any Hindu tradition. Their main source is poverty, and complete authority of parents on their children. How do you suppose a girl can ever say no if the groom side wants to consummate the marriage at an early age?

Prohibition of child marriages does not mean adherence to Abrahmic values. It simply means giving greater rights to those children who never had any. In fact, Hindu Dharm, or Sanatan Dharm, too states the same, that no one shall be forced on to anything against the will, and that children are the souls that have no Dharm or caste and are free to live their life till they are of age.

This move by the government is merely to appease the Indian Muslim community, whose strange laws if tinkered with may result in the Political party losing its seat of power. In simple terms, vote bank politics.

The answer is simple - U.P.A.
theek-hai1.jpg

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/On-world-stage-India-lets-down-its-child-brides/articleshow/24108817.cms

India opposed the some select text from the resolution... and not the entire resolution... its being hyper played in Media ... nothing else.

India opposed the some select text from the resolution... and not the entire resolution... its being hyper played in Media ... nothing else.

Source? Or is this a dumb troll thread?

India lets down its child brides

LONDON: India, the world's child marriage capital, has once again failed its under-age brides.

The country has refused to sign the first-ever global resolution on early and forced marriage of children led by the UN.

The resolution was supported by a cross-regional group of over 107 countries, including almost all countries with high rates of child marriage—Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sierra Leone, Chad, Guatemala, Honduras and Yemen.

The resolution floated by the UN Human Rights Council stressed the need to include child, early and forced marriage in post-2015 international development agenda and acknowledged the multi-faceted impact of early marriage on the "economic, legal, health and social status of women and girls" as well as "the development of the community as a whole".

India has the record of having the highest absolute number of child brides: about 24 million. This represents 40% of the 60 million world's child marriages.

You may check the link to read further.

No, that is not the reason behind the opposition. The reason comes from the Islamic laws in India that allow marriage of girls at the age of 15. To oppose this resolution, India would have to prohibit these marriages by law.

The contention given by you - seeing child marriages as mere engagements as they are not consummated till gauna, is a highly flawed one on two grounds:

1. Child marriages that you refer to, are unconstitutional and illegal and warrant immediate arrest. When they are already illegal in India, why would the nation abstain from voting in favor of a similar resolution on global level?

2. Such child marriages are not part of any Hindu tradition. Their main source is poverty, and complete authority of parents on their children. How do you suppose a girl can ever say no if the groom side wants to consummate the marriage at an early age?

Prohibition of child marriages does not mean adherence to Abrahmic values. It simply means giving greater rights to those children who never had any. In fact, Hindu Dharm, or Sanatan Dharm, too states the same, that no one shall be forced on to anything against the will, and that children are the souls that have no Dharm or caste and are free to live their life till they are of age.

This move by the government is merely to appease the Indian Muslim community, whose strange laws if tinkered with may result in the Political party losing its seat of power. In simple terms, vote bank politics.

You may very well be right about the congress reason for doing it.

1. The elitist law by Rajiv gandhi that was passed to prevent child marriages only made the practice go underground and made criminals of ordinary decent Indians. It did nothing else.

2. Practices by Hindus become tradition, what their reasons may be. At least in Hindu society there is not much chance of the girl's family allowing the girl into the boys house before gauna. In fact in 99% of the cases, even the boy's family will not allow such a practice. In worst case scenario,

What needs to be done is have laws defining statutory rape.

A child marriage does not deny the children any of their fundamental rights nor their religious rights. So as such it cannot be considered force, unless you consider sending an unwilling child to school also as forcing him against his will.

Opposing selective text? What utter B.S. is that? You can't be partially correct while supporting a stance of this nature. You must go the whole way. That's like saying - hey I am opposed to slavery but let's not give the freed slaves voting rights. Child marriage - whether consummated or not is reprehensible.

You may very well be right about the congress reason for doing it.

1. The elitist law by Rajiv gandhi that was passed to prevent child marriages only made the practice go underground and made criminals of ordinary decent Indians. It did nothing else.

2. Practices by Hindus become tradition, what their reasons may be. At least in Hindu society there is not much chance of the girl's family allowing the girl into the boys house before gauna. In fact in 99% of the cases, even the boy's family will not allow such a practice. In worst case scenario,

What needs to be done is have laws defining statutory rape.

A child marriage does not deny the children any of their fundamental rights nor their religious rights. So as such it cannot be considered force, unless you consider sending an unwilling child to school also as forcing him against his will.

How can you equate sending a kid to school with getting the kid married? A parent does not even have any moral right to force a friendship on the kid, marriage is too big a deal. Even more so in this society where women are known by their husband's worth.

I am at complete loss in trying to settle with what you have written about child marriage being harmless. Don't even know what to say here.

Mere the word marriage means a couple who is ought to have sex, then or later, but they do. Do you think the kids won't think about it when they are told whom they are getting married to? Do you think there will be absolutely no one to tease them about it and feed it further in their mind what sexual fun is all about? It would take a very strong exception for any child bride/groom to escape that, in any society.

And then comes the indoctrination part - any child bride will feel forced to think of her child groom as her husband. It is a love forced by the parents upon both the kids. How is she, or he, expected to come out of this indoctrination and change her/his mind when they grow up and see there are better matches available out there in the world? Leave alone kids, an indoctrination in childhood is so tough to get rid of that even intellectuals of the world have a hard time discarding it.

My grandfather's older sister was a child widow. Never consummated. I have seen how hard she had to fight for her rights throughout her life. And she did not represent mere 1% of the child brides.

Child marriage is nothing more than an adult matter forced upon children. While you equate it with education, I find it in line with indoctrination of young suicide bombers.

Opposing selective text? What utter B.S. is that? You can't be partially correct while supporting a stance of this nature. You must go the whole way. That's like saying - hey I am opposed to slavery but let's not give the freed slaves voting rights. Child marriage - whether consummated or not is reprehensible.

It is reprehensible as it prevents the child from reaching their full potential. But Laws are not the way to reform society. They just make criminals of ordinary citizens.

Provide greater opportunities for children that the parents find it more satisfying to allowing their kids grow up and make good money. Child marriage will then disappear.

Ensure quality schools so that kids enjoy learning and find the voice to protest against their marriage. That is the way to go. There are no short cuts like passing laws and bills like right to education, right to food etc. like what the congress is doing.

How can you equate sending a kid to school with getting the kid married? A parent does not even have any moral right to force a friendship on the kid, marriage is too big a deal. Even more so in this society where women are known by their husband's worth.

I am at complete loss in trying to settle with what you have written about child marriage being harmless. Don't even know what to say here.

Mere the word marriage means a couple who is ought to have sex, then or later, but they do. Do you think the kids won't think about it when they are told whom they are getting married to? Do you think there will be absolutely no one to tease them about it and feed it further in their mind what sexual fun is all about? It would take a very strong exception for any child bride/groom to escape that, in any society.

And then comes the indoctrination part - any child bride will feel forced to think of her child groom as her husband. It is a love forced by the parents upon both the kids. How is she, or he, expected to come out of this indoctrination and change her/his mind when they grow up and see there are better matches available out there in the world? Leave alone kids, an indoctrination in childhood is so tough to get rid of that even intellectuals of the world have a hard time discarding it.

My grandfather's older sister was a child widow. Never consummated. I have seen how hard she had to fight for her rights throughout her life. And she did not represent mere 1% of the child brides.

Child marriage is nothing more than an adult matter forced upon children. While you equate it with education, I find it in line with indoctrination of young suicide bombers.

Parents do not have any right to beat their kids too. But it happens all the time.

Real world is a bit different from the ideal world you are imagining. Real world needs practical solutions, not more laws.

If the children themselves go for sex, then all we need to provide is sex education. Not more laws to prevent force of nature.

Provide quality education and opeertunties for career and social growth. Child marriage will disappear by itself.

This is not 1940 anymore.

To implement Social change one needs social action, not laws.

I will assume the Congress did this to protect their rural vote bank ? There can be no other reason. They know the educated middle and upper class won't be voting for them this time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom