What's new

India-Pakistan: military angle -Farrukh Saleem

amarnath

BANNED
Reaction score
India-Pakistan: military angle

Friday, January 01, 2010
By Dr Farrukh Saleem
The Himalayan ranges have shaped the culture, politics, religion, mythology, climate and military doctrines of all six countries -- Afghanistan, Bhutan, China, India, Nepal and Pakistan -- that the ranges stretch across. The Great Mountain covers an area of about 650,000 square-kilometres and the width varies from 180 kilometres to 350 kilometres with a total glaciation area of over 33,000 square-kilometres. The Great Mountain Arc, from the Indus River all the way to the Brahmaputra River, encircles five countries -- India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan -- and a landmass of a little more than four million square-kilometres. This landmass has 1.5 billion inhabitants; around 22 per cent of the world population in an area about half the size of the US.

Environmental determinism is the view that Indian and Pakistani military strategists "build up knowledge by encountering the world through their senses, and are unable to transcend their responses to the environment; they are at the mercy of environmental stimuli." The Great Himalayan Arc, the inescapable environmental stimuli in the Indo-Pak region, has been -- and continues to be -- the densest and the most impenetrable natural barrier between the Subcontinent and whatever lies north, east or west of the Arc.

Genghis Khan founded the 'largest contiguous empire in history' but failed to circumvent the Himalayas into India. The Himalayas have always -- and continue to -- shield India from invaders in the north (read: China). To be certain, other than Sino-Indian border skirmishes of 1962 history has never witnessed any major invasion across the Himalayas.

As a consequence, based on environmental determinism, Indian military strategists in the post-Independence period laid out an Order of Battle whereby at least half of all Indian army corps were stationed within a striking distance from the Pakistan-India border. These corps include XV Corps with two infantry divisions in Srinagar, XIV Corps in Leh, XVI Corps with three infantry divisions, an artillery brigade and an armoured brigade in Nagrota, X Corps in Bhatinda, XI Corps in Jalandhar and IX Corps in Yol (then there's II Corps in Ambala).

According to The Geographical Dictionary, "Human activities are governed by the environment, primarily the physical environment." Pakistani military strategists, with little or no threat from the west, also laid out an Order of Battle whereby six of the nine Pakistan army corps -- both holding and strike corps -- were stationed within a striking distance from the Pakistan-India border. These corps include I Corps in Mangla, X Corp with infantry divisions in Murree, Mangla and Jhelum, IV Corps in Lahore, II Corps in Multan, XXX Corps with two infantry divisions in Sialkot and XXXI Corps in Bahawalpur.

India and Pakistan are in a state of active hostility. For FY 2009, India's defence spending, according to Jane's Information Group, will rise by close to 50 per cent to a colossal $32.7 billion. India is planning its biggest-ever arms purchases; $11 billion fighter jets, T-90S tanks, Scorpion submarines, Phalcon airborne warning and control system, multi-barrel rocket-launchers and an aircraft-carrier. At $32.7 billion India's defence spending translates into 2.7 per cent of GDP.

For FY 2009, Pakistan's official defence spending is set at $4.3 billion (some unofficial estimates go as high as $7.8 billion). If Pakistan were to match India's rise we would have to spend more than five per cent of our GDP on defence. For the record, Iraq, Somalia and Sudan spend an overwhelmingly large percentage of their GDP on defence. Iraq, Somalia and Sudan are all -- or have been -- in a state of civil war. For the record, the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia used to spend an overwhelmingly large percentage of their GDP on defence. Soviet Union is no more. Czechoslovakia is no more.

The Pakistan army looks at the Indian army and sees its inventory of 6,384 tanks as a threat (none of those Indian tanks can cross the Himalayas into China so Arjun MBTs must all be for Pakistan). The Pakistan army looks at the Indian air force and sees its inventory of 672 combat aircraft as a threat. The Pakistan army looks at the Indian army and finds that 15, 9, 16, 14, 11, 10 and 2 corps are all pointing their guns at Pakistan. The Pakistan army looks at the Indian army and discovers that the 4th Armoured Division, 12th Infantry Division, 340th Mechanised Brigade and 4th Armoured Brigade have been deployed to cut Pakistan into two halves.

Roti or killing machines? As per World Bank data, 74 per cent of Pakistanis earn $2 a day or less and 75 per cent of Indians earn $2 a day or less. Imagine; one out of every two Pakistanis is short on food. One out of every two Pakistanis is food-insecure. One out of every two Pakistanis is managing to subsist on less than 2,350 calories per day. Last year, there were 60 million Pakistanis short on food. That number now stands at 77 million; a 28 per cent increase.

Over the past century, economic development has been all about trans- and cross-border trading. Pakistan has two population centres; central Punjab and Karachi. Central Punjab is a thousand kilometres from the nearest port. Between Karachi and central Punjab is a desert in the east and on the west is an area that does not -- and cannot -- support population concentrations. To develop economically, we must trade. Trade we must. And, the only population concentration to trade with is on our east.

To be certain, time -- and money -- is on India's side. Composite dialogue among civilians means little -- if anything at all. What is needed is a strategic dialogue. How can India be persuaded to pull back its offensive formations? What would Pakistan give in return? Pakistan cannot continue to race a race that it cannot win.

The writer is the executive director of the Centre for Research and Security Studies (CRSS). Email: farrukh15@hotmail.com

India-Pakistan: military angle

Pakistan cannot continue to race a race that it cannot win.

This sentence has a very deep meaning.Because there is a harsh reality going on these days.INDIAN defence budget is increasing DAY by DAY and on the other hand Pakistani defence budget is also increasing.But this trend could end.Because after a decade there will come a time when INDIAN defence budget would increase so much that it would become unrealistic for Pakistan to match and Pakistan would be reduced to Bangladesh in terms of conventional arms.so the only way for Pakistan is try to develop economically to match INDIA.Because wars are not only fought on military front alone theses days.Look at China.It gives us the lesson that economic strength is directly proportional to military strength.

This sentence has a very deep meaning.Because there is a harsh reality going on these days.INDIAN defence budget is increasing DAY by DAY and on the other hand Pakistani defence budget is also increasing.But this trend could end.Because after a decade there will come a time when INDIAN defence budget would increase so much that it would become unrealistic for Pakistan to match and Pakistan would be reduced to Bangladesh in terms of conventional arms.so the only way for Pakistan is try to develop economically to match INDIA.Because wars are not only fought on military front alone theses days.Look at China.It gives us the lesson that economic strength is directly proportional to military strength.

My dear, india from ages has not been spending more than 3% of its GDP, we are showing good growth and hence that Percentage increases..... and where as pakistan, I do not know its growth is very little....

It is not budget allocation but the inefficient utilization of allocated fund is the problem-for both countries. If one country cant cover other sectors with 97% of budget what difference it will make with 98%.

I am absolutely agreed with the author- to match Indian defence expenditure is definately creating pressure on Pakistani economy. As Army is a dominant factor in Pakistan's politics the defence allocation can be assumed more than declared figures. And now provide for political embezzlement (true for India also) and misuse - the general public actually has very little. There is no doubt if Indian economy continues to expand it can raise its defence expenditure being limited at 3 % of GDP. So catch up with that Pakistan need to do well in economic front also.

Concentrating on economic front will have an extra benefit. Better employment situation will definately prevent youths from shifting towards radical Islamist groups which has become a headache for Pakistan. In simple words in better economic conditions and prosperity can ease the hostality among the population of both countries. If people take prosperity of their own nations as their dreams they will have less time to bother about other nation.

Last edited:
Stay trigger happy on the nukes, cut down on handouts to officers(already in progress). And just hope a miracle happens.. That is the only option for Pakistan.

Stay trigger happy on the nukes, cut down on handouts to officers(already in progress). And just hope a miracle happens.. That is the only option for Pakistan.

Actually a real miracle is not required at all. If both India and Pakistan start focussing internally instead of externally, its a cake walk..

1. Maintain status quo on Kashmir. Pakistan stops supporting terrorists/freedom fighters..
2. India gets the hell out of Afghanistan.. I mean convinces Pakistan of its designs in Afghanistan. Maintains only economic and cultural relationship
3. Pakistan punishes 26/11 ASAP (good progress happening so far)
4. India enables quick resolution of Indus rivers dispute and Siachen

It may seem like 4 miracles, but all it takes is a firm resolve on both sides..

Yesterday I saw the movie "the book of eli". it is set in an post apocalyptic world devastated by N-war. Air which is not fit to breathe, water not fit for drinking, no amenities, no food, nothing. People will kill each other for things which are worthless today.
Whether humans will survive a N-war or not is debatable, but one thing is for sure, the civilization will be lost. I recommend you to see the Movie to better understand what I want to say. If there happen to be a N-war, i would like to die rather than to survive and see the hell alive. I have read somewhere - Openheimer (father of N-bomb) after the successful first test of N-bomb,and seeing its devastating power (during Manhattan project days) said "from now on, we (he and the team of scientists involved in developing the bomb) will be remembered as sons of a bit#h."
This is not a toy buddy, Its pleasing to know that so far, good sense have prevailed and there has not been any N-war.Nukes are only for deterrence, not for using, in any situation.

Can't win? Just focusing on nuclear warheads and economic. That is what Deng did in 1980s.

In addition to Dr. Farrukh Saleem's realistic Article here is another Article asking Pakistan & Pakistanis to be realistic in their quests vis-à-vis India :

Words we may never hear —Dr Syed Mansoor Hussain

We in Pakistan cannot, under any acceptable scenario, either conquer Kashmir or wave the Pakistani flag on the Red Fort in Delhi. If once we accept these facts, then we can perhaps divert some of our limited national resources towards national development

Here is a speech I would like to hear from my next Prime Minister.

‘My dear countrymen, I come to you as a candidate for Prime Minister. My political party will contest these elections on a platform of truth. I promise you that under no circumstances will I lie to the people of Pakistan.

The first problem I wish to address is that of corruption. Corruption is now an integral part of our national fabric and afflicts all levels of our society and every branch of government. As such, I must admit that it is going to be impossible for me, even if I become the Prime Minister of Pakistan, to eradicate corruption.

An extension of this aspect of corruption is the unwillingness of most Pakistanis to pay taxes. The man who sells biryani from a hand-driven cart a hundred feet away from my office makes close to half a million rupees a month but not only is he not willing to pay any income tax, he, as a matter of fact, would find the very idea insulting.

I cannot imagine how I can force him and many others like him to pay their taxes. So, the national exchequer will never receive the taxes it needs to run the government. This will force my government, as all previous governments, to depend on foreign remittances, external loans and internal borrowing to keep the government solvent.

Unfortunately, we have never supported our local businessmen to develop an internal infrastructure that can pull Pakistan out of its poverty. As a country we will have to decide whether we support those who get rich by building things or if we are against anybody who seems to be acquiring wealth through business and industry.

Another important aspect of corruption is the recent Supreme Court decision about the NRO where the honourable court reiterated the following about members of parliament, according to the Constitution of Pakistan:

“He has adequate knowledge of Islamic teachings and practices obligatory duties prescribed by Islam as well as abstains from major sins.”

“He is sagacious, righteous and non-profligate and honest and ameen”.

I have searched far and wide for such people to represent my party and contest the elections. Sadly, I could not find many people who fit into those parameters. A few men and a dozen or so women of aforementioned qualities were indeed sighted. But, when approached, they all refused to contest the elections. Their point was simple; they were not thieves and women of questionable morals, so why should they debase themselves by becoming politicians?

So, my countrymen, in all truthfulness, I must admit that I will be forced to induct people as prospective parliamentarians, people who do not fulfil the constitutional requirements for members of parliament, not because I do not want to do so but because, among the people of Pakistan, such people either do not exist or else are well hidden.

Then my dear countrymen, I would like to remind you all that Pakistan is a poor country. The last major dam we built to harness our water resources was almost forty years ago. I do realise that Balochistan has more copper and Sindh more coal than many other countries, but I also realise that we as a country just do not have the money to exploit these natural resources without borrowing money from international aid agencies or other countries.

And this brings me to foreign aid and investment. The law and order situation in the country is so bad that no foreign country is willing to invest in Pakistan. Why are things so bad in Pakistan? We as Muslims are fighting with each other for reasons that, at least I find difficult to understand. So my dear countrymen, it is not possible for me to reconcile varying religious points of view even if I become the Prime Minister of Pakistan. Therefore, even if I run the government, such infighting will continue. And if the killing goes on, foreign investment will stay clear of the country.

Now about foreign affairs: as far as India is concerned, we have fought a couple of serious wars with India and have lost them badly. Clearly we in Pakistan cannot, under any acceptable scenario, either conquer Kashmir or wave the Pakistani flag on the Red Fort in Delhi. If once we accept these facts, then we can perhaps divert some of our limited national resources away from our army towards national development. I believe that our nuclear deterrent will keep us safe from any external aggression. As far as our relationship with the US is concerned, it is primarily about Afghanistan. We had a good innings in Afghanistan but now we are not unlike the Pakistan cricket team and its recent performance in Australia: spirited, but losing all the time. We have had considerable success fighting against the terrorists within Pakistan, and that is what our army should become the defender of our national integrity within our borders.

We are a nation of functionally illiterate people who are entirely beholden to archaic values. Our greatest challenge is education. Our schools, colleges and universities, with a few exceptions, are the worst in the world. We do not teach inquiry and rational thought but only pass on received wisdom, if it can be called wisdom anymore.

But even if I run the government I do not think that I can change our educational system. The madrassas are beyond reach and the formal schools and colleges are so overwrought by corruption that bringing back a semblance of proper education is going to be virtually impossible. Of course there are a few exceptions and perhaps we can try and emulate them for starters.

So then you ask, why do I want to contest this election? Perhaps because I still believe that Pakistan has a future. And even if those in government are not entirely honest, as long as they do their jobs honestly, we might as a country make progress.’

Syed Mansoor Hussain has practised and taught medicine in the US. He can be reached at smhmbbs70@yahoo.com

(1) Pakistan gives up on terrorism as a state weapon (i.e. Dismantle terror infrastructure and groups, hand over India's most wanted to India, take care of LeT, Jem.......etc)

(2) India agrees to a time bound (say 5-10 years) period to resolve the Kashmir issue which will be acceptable to all parties, even rope in a neutral mediator say Norway for the same

and Voila we all can live in peace and help and complement each other (also in screwing the goras) instead of trying to dominate each other

Actually.. That is the whole concept of Mutually assured destruction. Just the fear of knowing that one wrong move and all will be lost is enough to force governments and people to consider other alternatives.
But I like the 4 little miracles proposed by foxbat, but Even those 4, require a miracle in their own right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom