What's new

India presents China a two-front problem, says US navy chief

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
TOKYO -- India will be a crucial partner for the U.S. in the future, playing a key role in countering China, America's highest-ranking Navy officer has said.

"I've spent more time on a trip to India than I have with any other country, because I consider them to be a strategic partner for us in the future," Adm. Mike Gilday, chief of naval operations, told an in-person seminar hosted by the Heritage Foundation in Washington on Thursday. He was referring to a five-day visit to India last October.

"The Indian Ocean battlespace is becoming increasingly more important for us," Gilday said. "The fact that India and China currently have a bit of a skirmish along their border ... it's strategically important."

"They now force China to not only look east, toward the South China Sea and the Taiwan Strait, but they now have to be looking over their shoulder at India," he said.

The idea that the border clashes between India and China in the Himalayas pose a two-front problem for Beijing has been gaining traction among U.S. strategists.

(placeholder image)
U.S. Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday, left, speaks with his Indian counterpart Adm. Karambir Singh after inspecting the guard of honor in New Delhi on Oct. 12, 2021. © Reuters
In June, as the leaders of the Quad -- the U.S., Japan, India and Australia -- were meeting in Japan, former Pentagon official Elbridge Colby told Nikkei Asia that while India would not directly contribute in a local battle over Taiwan, it could draw China's attention to the Himalayan border.

"What the United States and Japan need India to do is to be as strong as possible in South Asia and effectively draw Chinese attention so that they have a major second-front problem," said Colby, the principal author of the 2018 National Defense Strategy under former President Donald Trump. India, in the meantime, draws the same benefit from China's difficulties in facing a strong U.S.-Japan alliance around Taiwan, he said.

A planned joint mountaintop exercise between the U.S. and India in October is seen as underscoring the potential second front for China.

The annual joint exercise Yudh Abhyas, which translates to "War Practice," will be held in the South Asian nation's Uttarakhand state from Oct. 18 to 31.

While India has hosted the Yudh Abhyas exercise in Uttarakhand before, including in 2014, 2016 and 2018, those drills were all held in the foothills, over 300 km from the China boundary.

Local Indian media reports have said that this year's drills would take place at an altitude of over 3,000 meters in Uttarakhand's Auli region, less than 100 km from the Line of Actual Control -- the de facto border between India and China.

In an opinion piece titled "India has a stake in Taiwan's defense," columnist Brahma Chellaney wrote in Nikkei Asia that Indian activities in the Himalayas could help Taiwan's defense. It would be "tying down a complete Chinese theater force, which could otherwise be employed against the island," he wrote.

But such a two-front strategy must be coordinated with the U.S., he added.

In Thursday's seminar, Gilday said that a potential fight against China will likely be trans-regional. "You just can't think of China through the lens of the Indo-Pacific. You have to look at the Indian Ocean, you have to look at their Belt and Road, their economic connective tissue, which is now global," he said. "You have to take a look at their vulnerabilities."

Urgh the nationalists are out in force again.

Why war? Look what that's done to the US.

Maybe you should focus on internal development rather than nationalism to distract you.

I mean you dont think its a problem when 65% of the population in India don't have access to basic sanitation ?

Pushing sanctions from halfway across the globe is not considered as two front

What we need is to offer bases to American military in India just like Saudis do..... Nobody will dare to attack India after that..... We are QUAD partners and we should really explore this possibility....
I don't know why you are lack of confidence. Do you feel it in your personal life too?
BTW may i know your age?

Urgh the nationalists are out in force again.

Why war? Look what that's done to the US.

Maybe you should focus on internal development rather than nationalism to distract you.

I mean you dont think its a problem when 65% of the population in India don't have access to basic sanitation ?
Its better pakistanis should start reading rational books and do some basics research. Otherwise you people will sunk your own country bcz of lack of education.
You see India like you are still living in 80s. Visit once atleast.

How many fronts India is fighting? US is just trying to find some cannon fodder for it to counter China, India happen to fit the bill.

How many fronts India is fighting? US is just trying to find some cannon fodder for it to counter China, India happen to fit the bill.
When a chinese comment like this on the relation between India and China, I doubt about his/her nationality.
Bcz everyone in China and India knows the history between both countries.
India and China dispute far older than China and US rivalry.
Both countries fought real wars when US and China relation were good, was no real threat for US.
So who is using whom as cannon fodder you can easily calculate.

TOKYO -- India will be a crucial partner for the U.S. in the future, playing a key role in countering China, America's highest-ranking Navy officer has said.

"I've spent more time on a trip to India than I have with any other country, because I consider them to be a strategic partner for us in the future," Adm. Mike Gilday, chief of naval operations, told an in-person seminar hosted by the Heritage Foundation in Washington on Thursday. He was referring to a five-day visit to India last October.

"The Indian Ocean battlespace is becoming increasingly more important for us," Gilday said. "The fact that India and China currently have a bit of a skirmish along their border ... it's strategically important."

"They now force China to not only look east, toward the South China Sea and the Taiwan Strait, but they now have to be looking over their shoulder at India," he said.

The idea that the border clashes between India and China in the Himalayas pose a two-front problem for Beijing has been gaining traction among U.S. strategists.

(placeholder image)
U.S. Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday, left, speaks with his Indian counterpart Adm. Karambir Singh after inspecting the guard of honor in New Delhi on Oct. 12, 2021. © Reuters
In June, as the leaders of the Quad -- the U.S., Japan, India and Australia -- were meeting in Japan, former Pentagon official Elbridge Colby told Nikkei Asia that while India would not directly contribute in a local battle over Taiwan, it could draw China's attention to the Himalayan border.

"What the United States and Japan need India to do is to be as strong as possible in South Asia and effectively draw Chinese attention so that they have a major second-front problem," said Colby, the principal author of the 2018 National Defense Strategy under former President Donald Trump. India, in the meantime, draws the same benefit from China's difficulties in facing a strong U.S.-Japan alliance around Taiwan, he said.

A planned joint mountaintop exercise between the U.S. and India in October is seen as underscoring the potential second front for China.

The annual joint exercise Yudh Abhyas, which translates to "War Practice," will be held in the South Asian nation's Uttarakhand state from Oct. 18 to 31.

While India has hosted the Yudh Abhyas exercise in Uttarakhand before, including in 2014, 2016 and 2018, those drills were all held in the foothills, over 300 km from the China boundary.

Local Indian media reports have said that this year's drills would take place at an altitude of over 3,000 meters in Uttarakhand's Auli region, less than 100 km from the Line of Actual Control -- the de facto border between India and China.

In an opinion piece titled "India has a stake in Taiwan's defense," columnist Brahma Chellaney wrote in Nikkei Asia that Indian activities in the Himalayas could help Taiwan's defense. It would be "tying down a complete Chinese theater force, which could otherwise be employed against the island," he wrote.

But such a two-front strategy must be coordinated with the U.S., he added.

In Thursday's seminar, Gilday said that a potential fight against China will likely be trans-regional. "You just can't think of China through the lens of the Indo-Pacific. You have to look at the Indian Ocean, you have to look at their Belt and Road, their economic connective tissue, which is now global," he said. "You have to take a look at their vulnerabilities."

Now that the US navy chief has said this, india has become the greatest global super power the world has ever seen...........the moment all indians have been waiting for, for the last 3982 years has FINALLY arrived.............. :disagree:

INDIAN BE INDIAN, lesson from history usa will push india into the deep end against china and then it will flare up. USA will go home and china will breathe fire in to your gandhi a ss.

ukraine getting taste of it.

I don't know why you are lack of confidence. Do you feel it in your personal life too?
BTW may i know your age?

Its better pakistanis should start reading rational books and do some basics research. Otherwise you people will sunk your own country bcz of lack of education.

It's not a lack of confidence unfortunately we have 2 nuclear enemies on our east end west with huge armies..... imagine a two front attack??? Though India a big country Punjab and Himachal corridor is narrow its no joke 2 hold 2 powerful militaries for a long time.... USA military presence in India will simply deter such plans by enemies.....

BTW may i know your age?

What lack of education? indian education has resulted in over 1.5 billion indians having NEVER EVER invented ANY advanced sciences or technologies............. :lol:

What lack of education? indian education has resulted in over 1.5 billion indians having NEVER EVER invented ANY advanced sciences or technologies............. :lol:
are you living under a rock perhaps to not have noticed contribution by prominent Indians in sciences and other fields?

When a chinese comment like this on the relation between India and China, I doubt about his/her nationality.
Bcz everyone in China and India knows the history between both countries.
India and China dispute far older than China and US rivalry.
Both countries fought real wars when US and China relation were good, was no real threat for US.
So who is using whom as cannon fodder you can easily calculate.
China and US fought in 1951, india just became a country in 1947, what fought British over Tibet before, but there were British troops and were just some small battles. China's first war and only war with India was in 1962, no?

Back
Top Bottom