What's new

India Quietly Launches 3rd Arihant-class Nuclear-powered Submarine, Can Carry 8 Ballistic Missiles: Report

vishwambhar

Reaction score
Country
India
Now this is the perfect news to make year end happy...... ARIGHAT means GHAT (END) OF ENEMIES IF PROVOKED....

India has launched its third Arihant-class a nuclear powered Submarine in Visakhapatnam. The low-key launch was reported by UK-based Janes Defence Weekly through satellite imagery from the Vishakhapatnam Ship Building Center.

The first SSBN INS Arihant was commissioned in 2016, while the second, though initially launched in 2014, is awaiting commissioning into the Indian Navy.

The Arihant class of Submarines is being built with help from Russia. According to the Janes Defence Weekly, the new boat, referred to as the S4, is slightly bigger than INS Arihant and can carry at least 8 K-4 ballistic missiles.

The magazine’s December 29 report states that the S4 submersible ballistic nuclear submarine (SSBN) was launched on November 23 and had been ‘relocated’ to near the ‘fitting-out wharf’ that was currently occupied by INS Arighat, the second such nuclear-armed missile submarine. Arighat was launched in November 2014 and is currently awaiting commissioning, which has reportedly been delayed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, according to Janes. As a result, the launch of the S4 SSBN was not reported in the Indian press, the report said.

The British publication said the satellite imagery confirmed that the S4 SSBN, at 7,000 tonnes, was’slightly larger,’ with a load water line measurement of 125.4m compared to 111.6m for the 6,000-tonne INS Arihant, the lead boat in this class. The S4 – and subsequent boats – were labelled as ‘Arihant-stretch’ variants.

According to the magazine, the additional length of the newly launched boats ‘accommodates expansion of the submarine’s vertical launch system, which has doubled to support eight (missile) launch tubes.’ This, it said, would allow the SSBN to carry eight K-4 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) missiles or 24 K-15 SLBMs with strike ranges of 3,500 km and 750 km, respectively.

Now this is the perfect news to make year end happy...... ARIGHAT means GHAT (END) OF ENEMIES IF PROVOKED....

India has launched its third Arihant-class a nuclear powered Submarine in Visakhapatnam. The low-key launch was reported by UK-based Janes Defence Weekly through satellite imagery from the Vishakhapatnam Ship Building Center.

The first SSBN INS Arihant was commissioned in 2016, while the second, though initially launched in 2014, is awaiting commissioning into the Indian Navy.

The Arihant class of Submarines is being built with help from Russia. According to the Janes Defence Weekly, the new boat, referred to as the S4, is slightly bigger than INS Arihant and can carry at least 8 K-4 ballistic missiles.

The magazine’s December 29 report states that the S4 submersible ballistic nuclear submarine (SSBN) was launched on November 23 and had been ‘relocated’ to near the ‘fitting-out wharf’ that was currently occupied by INS Arighat, the second such nuclear-armed missile submarine. Arighat was launched in November 2014 and is currently awaiting commissioning, which has reportedly been delayed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, according to Janes. As a result, the launch of the S4 SSBN was not reported in the Indian press, the report said.

The British publication said the satellite imagery confirmed that the S4 SSBN, at 7,000 tonnes, was’slightly larger,’ with a load water line measurement of 125.4m compared to 111.6m for the 6,000-tonne INS Arihant, the lead boat in this class. The S4 – and subsequent boats – were labelled as ‘Arihant-stretch’ variants.

According to the magazine, the additional length of the newly launched boats ‘accommodates expansion of the submarine’s vertical launch system, which has doubled to support eight (missile) launch tubes.’ This, it said, would allow the SSBN to carry eight K-4 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) missiles or 24 K-15 SLBMs with strike ranges of 3,500 km and 750 km, respectively.

Dehan krna. Phir na karachi kay pass jhatian marty pakry jana

This is a good development indeed. The nuclear submarine program is on track; though we seriously need to accelerate the conventional submarine program that is stuck between files and egos of admirals.

This is a good development indeed. The nuclear submarine program is on track; though we seriously need to accelerate the conventional submarine program that is stuck between files and egos of admirals.

Yes indeed I am too surprised to see such a faster induction of 3rd SSBN..... But you are right at the same time we need to fast track conventional submarine program......

Also something has to be done on the induction of SSNs ..... I'm actually of the view that in future India should only operate nuclear SSBN AND SSN and no conventional submarine..... Just like USA, UK and France....

Since this beast is a war (Yudh) Machine I'm playing below song as a welcome to this baby......

Yes indeed I am too surprised to see such a faster induction of 3rd SSBN..... But you are right at the same time we need to fast track conventional submarine program......

Also something has to be done on the induction of SSNs ..... I'm actually of the view that in the future India should only operate nuclear SSBN AND SSN and no conventional submarine..... Just like USA, UK and France....

It is not fast enough. We should have done this over a decade ago, but sadly, we had a useless regime back then. Well, better late than never. What you are speaking of is way into the future, when there are more efficient technologies. For now and the next 2-3 decades, we need a force of at least 25-30 conventional SSNs along with a dozen SSBNs.

It is not fast enough. We should have done this over a decade ago, but sadly, we had a useless regime back then. Well, better late than never. What you are speaking of is way into the future, when there are more efficient technologies. For now and the next 2-3 decades, we need a force of at least 25-30 conventional SSNs along with a dozen SSBNs.

100% agreed bro....

Also something has to be done on the induction of SSNs ..... I'm actually of the view that in future India should only operate nuclear SSBN AND SSN and no conventional submarine..... Just like USA, UK and France....

There is no induction of "3rd SSBN". Third one has just been launched. Only 2 has been inducted. It will take 3-4 years for this one to be commissioned as this is slightly bigger and would need more testing. The plan is to have 5 SSBNs anyway. I hope SSN reactor design has started.

There is no induction of "3rd SSBN". Third one has just been launched. Only 2 has been inducted. It will take 3-4 years for this one to be commissioned as this is slightly bigger and would need more testing. The plan is to have 5 SSBNs anyway. I hope SSN reactor design has started.

It is going good.... The next target should be within 10 years - 13000 ton with better nuclear engine.

Without a doubt - with k4 missiles (3500 km), India has achieved nuclear triad program

Congratulations....

Last edited:
Excellent news. K4 is a great missile weighs around 17 tons yet can carry a payload of 2 tons to 3500 km and 1.5 ton to about 5000 kms flies in depressed trajectory and delivers the payload with unparallel accuracy. This one is third of Arihant family. One more yet to come. However, I prefer diesel electric sub over nuclear in defensive role. Nuke boomers are better in long distance patroling and as a nuclear deterrence.

6 in Arihant class followed by 6 other in the new class that would be negotiated now with France (most likely). France and Russia both are competing for the new SSBN tech program but chances are that Paris might win this one. Arihant's base tech is already with Russian collaboration.

Since we have operational experience with them, I am wondering if they would be able to expedite the construction of the newer class upon formal selection. French nuclear submarines are really good and being a neutral player, it makes sense to collaborate with them in the future.

6 in Arihant class followed by 6 other in the new class that would be negotiated now with France (most likely). France and Russia both are competing for the new SSBN tech program but chances are that Paris might win this one. Arihant's base tech is already with Russian collaboration.

Since we have operational experience with them, I am wondering if they would be able to expedite the construction of the newer class upon formal selection. French nuclear submarines are really good and being a neutral player, it makes sense to collaborate with them in the future.

I think French technology will be better with very modern reactor and pumpjet propulsion state of art electronics.

I think French technology will be better with very modern reactor and pumpjet propulsion state of art electronics.

My only concern at this point is that it should not become a tendering cluster-fvck the way our bureaucrats usually do. Sometimes it gets me thinking to hope for more pressure in the sea from PLAN so that the MoD gets all the green lights required to speed up the damn process.

Despite the French defense minister's visit last month, Rajnath mentioned only one out of 3 critical projects where France is looking for a partnership with us:

1. Next-generation turboshaft engines for the Indian Multi-Role Helicopter (Mi-17 replacement).
  2. Next-generation jet engine for AMCA with Safran
  3. Next stage SSBN development as mentioned above
The SSBN and AMCA engine deals are likely going to be announced at the Defence Expo in March 2022.

Though our underwater fleet is upgraded and all, but there are only as many upgrades as what you can do beyond a certain point and hull replacement becomes a desperate necessity.

Back
Top Bottom