What's new

India Quietly Launches 3rd Arihant-class Nuclear-powered Submarine, Can Carry 8 Ballistic Missiles: Report

I think French technology will be better with very modern reactor and pumpjet propulsion state of art electronics.
6 in Arihant class followed by 6 other in the new class that would be negotiated now with France (most likely). France and Russia both are competing for the new SSBN tech program but chances are that Paris might win this one. Arihant's base tech is already with Russian collaboration.

Since we have operational experience with them, I am wondering if they would be able to expedite the construction of the newer class upon formal selection. French nuclear submarines are really good and being a neutral player, it makes sense to collaborate with them in the future.

Discussion have already happened. And some in DAE circles have already pointed out, having 2 techs of different origins will make the programme too costly than already is.
Our doctrine follows Russian ones and we may already have made investments on an SSN reactor. The French are a cunning lot with eyes only on the money.
India has some sort of expertise and experience with Russian reactors that we can design our own Control and management systems for the reactor and it's integration with ship system.
Will the French it's bound to be different. Everything has to be started from scratch. While we can get tech for pumpjet propulsion, nuclear hull, sonars, EW system etc reactor wise we should follow existing tech to shorten dev timeframe.

Lets hope the Indians for their own sake dont also sink this one like they did with INS Arihant by letting water into the propulsion area : https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...er-accident-10-months-ago/article22392049.ece
I think Indian media won't be allowed to report such incidents anymore while the country is being ruled by the democratically elected Hindu extremist Government.

Just look at the Indian tamasha from 27 February 2019 and 15 June 2020 as examples.

Lets hope the Indians for their own sake dont also sink this one like they did with INS Arihant by letting water into the propulsion area : https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...er-accident-10-months-ago/article22392049.ece

INS Airihant already back into service..

Just wow- pak navy not had any nuclear submarine incident...

Ohh - they don't have.... Only 3-4 diesel submarines...

so why are throwing dust... Just one suggestion - check the other submarines incidents those have bigger submarines fleet... It happens when you have submarines to operate and mistakes happens as well..

Last edited:
That was a fake news, by the time they were peddling this fake news, INS Arihant was on a deterrece patrol. Lol.

There is no induction of "3rd SSBN". Third one has just been launched. Only 2 has been inducted. It will take 3-4 years for this one to be commissioned as this is slightly bigger and would need more testing. The plan is to have 5 SSBNs anyway. I hope SSN reactor design has started.

Sorry not induction but I'm happy to see the speed they have built this submarine..... Now we have 3 homemade SSBNs which is good now can't wait to see it's going out for sea trials....

Sorry not induction but I'm happy to see the speed they have built this submarine..... Now we have 3 homemade SSBNs which is good now can't wait to see it's going out for sea trials....

US think tank had praised Arighat as a fotmidable Nuke submarine in Asia. This one is a follow up of that and surrly be more potent than its predecessor. India's submarine fleet has grown well 8n last few years. 3 Scorpene and 2 nuke subs have been Inducted. 1 boomer on an average should be inducted every year from now onward.

Last edited:
US think tank had praised Arighat a fotmidable Nuke submarine in Asia. This one is a follow up of that and surrly be more potent than its predecessor. India's submarine fleet has grown well 8n last few years. 3 Scorpene and 2 nuke subs have been Inducted. 1 boomer on an average should be inducted every year from now onward.

Is there any plans by IN to have homemade SSNs? I also heard France might offer us their nuclear barracuda on lease.... Is it true?

Discussion have already happened. And some in DAE circles have already pointed out, having 2 techs of different origins will make the programme too costly than already is.
Our doctrine follows Russian ones and we may already have made investments on an SSN reactor. The French are a cunning lot with eyes only on the money.
India has some sort of expertise and experience with Russian reactors that we can design our own Control and management systems for the reactor and it's integration with ship system.
Will the French it's bound to be different. Everything has to be started from scratch. While we can get tech for pumpjet propulsion, nuclear hull, sonars, EW system etc reactor wise we should follow existing tech to shorten dev timeframe.

Everyone is after money these days. There is nothing wrong if we are getting a good tech. I am with you on the shorter development timeframe but we should also factor in the access to tech that we get. And that's good with the French. They had to learn it the hard way after the Brits and Americans rejected their request for tech cooperation and know the value of strategic cooperation.

France is the only western power that has been openly friendly and supportive to us (even if it is for market and business). They have gone to extra lengths compared to any other western power when push came to shove, to back us. The nuclear submarine collaboration, if initiated at this point, would yield a new era of ties between India and France.

Now how to merge the two tech bases into a single derived version, I don't know.

Everyone is after money these days. There is nothing wrong if we are getting a good tech. I am with you on the shorter development timeframe but we should also factor in the access to tech that we get. And that's good with the French. They had to learn it the hard way after the Brits and Americans rejected their request for tech cooperation and know the value of strategic cooperation.

France is the only western power that has been openly friendly and supportive to us (even if it is for market and business). They have gone to extra lengths compared to any other western power when push came to shove, to back us. The nuclear submarine collaboration, if initiated at this point, would yield a new era of ties between India and France.

Now how to merge the two tech bases into a single derived version, I don't know.

That is France decision to make. They have repeatedly spoke about being India's strategic partner in the west. Whether anyone likes it or not, Russia is our only strategic partner and Israel to an extent till now. If France rants to do that, it has to prove it can take a few "money" loss. Somehow it doesn't give me confidence. 90B on 12 diesel Aussie submarine deal nor Safran going back on engine investment is an example.

At the end of the day it's the French leadership what kinda relationship it wants with India. If France wants to be an strategic partner then it needs to part with a few tech. India on the other hand will use French components and avionics as part of the special strategic relationships.

That is France decision to make. They have repeatedly spoke about being India's strategic partner in the west. Whether anyone likes it or not, Russia is our only strategic partner and Israel to an extent till now. If France rants to do that, it has to prove it can take a few "money" loss. Somehow it doesn't give me confidence. 90B on 12 diesel Aussie submarine deal nor Safran going back on engine investment is an example.

At the end of the day it's the French leadership what kinda relationship it wants with India. If France wants to be an strategic partner then it needs to part with a few tech. India on the other hand will use French components and avionics as part of the special strategic relationships.

What are you trying to say here? France has been the friendliest defence partner of India for over 70 years. Please read up on the Indo-French cooperation and their political and diplomatic support in our case.

The French offer of nuclear submarine tech is exactly that. Remember, we approached them at the time when the Australian deal was still on. At that time they refused, because it is one of the most coveted technologies. Case and point, why the Americans won't give their tech to anyone.

After AUKUS deal, the situation has changed.

You need to understand that rather than assuming that everyone is offering us a free lunch.

France is not our girlfriend and diplomatic affairs are nothing like personal friendships. They have gone through the shit of self-reliance cycle themselves in the 60s when UK and USA refused to provide them with critical technologies. Naturally, they are looking for profits here. If they were not, that would be more concerning as they would want something much more important than money - our sovereignty.

The point is, how badly do we want that tech. And given our very late awakening on the defense front, I'd say we need the tech more than they need to give us. So let's do it.

Back
Top Bottom