What's new

India ranks 111th out of 125 countries in Global Hunger Index 2023, below Pakistan, Sri Lanka

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

India ranks 111th out of 125 countries in Global Hunger Index 2023, below Pakistan, Sri Lanka​

Global Hunger Index (GHI) is a tool for comprehensively measuring and tracking hunger at global, regional, and national levels

India ranks below Pakistan, Sri Lanka in Global Hunger Index

Global Hunger Index India ranks below Pakistan

India ranked 111th out of 125 countries in the Global Hunger Index 2023. In the index, India has a score of 28.7, indicating a serious level of hunger, and stood lower than neighbouring countries including Pakistan (102nd), Bangladesh (81st), Nepal (69th) and Sri Lanka (60th).

While the rate of undernourishment in India stood at 16.6 percent and under-five mortality at 3.1 percent, the prevalence of anaemia in women aged between 15 and 24 years stood at 58.1 percent.

As per the index, India also has the highest child-wasting rate in the world at 18.7 percent, reflecting acute undernutrition. Wasting is measured based on children’s weight relative to their height.

Modi government termed it “erroneous and having malafide intent”.

What is the Global Hunger Index?

The Global Hunger Index (GHI) is a peer-reviewed report, published on an annual basis by Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe. The GHI is a tool designed to comprehensively measure and track hunger at global, regional, and national levels, reflecting multiple dimensions of hunger over time.

The report aims to raise awareness and understanding of the struggle against hunger, provide a way to compare levels of hunger between countries and regions, and call attention to those areas of the world where hunger levels are highest and where the need for additional efforts to eliminate hunger is greatest.

That's partly because of Indian culture. We eat food based on taste, and they are high on carbs.

Some educated people try to add protein by modifying the traditional diet, but it is not very common.

This is not due to widespread poverty. People do have food. It is just not good quality, nutritious stuff.

That's partly because of Indian culture. We eat food based on taste, and they are high on carbs.

Some educated people try to add protein by modifying the traditional diet, but it is not very common.

This is not due to widespread poverty. People do have food. It is just not good quality, nutritious stuff.

I find it odd the overloading with carbs. I’d thought they could bulk it more with Cheese, butter, milk and yogurt. It keeps you full and it’s better for you. Also there is no shortage of dairy in India.

I find it odd the overloading with carbs. I’d thought they could bulk it more with Cheese, butter, milk and yogurt. It keeps you full and it’s better for you. Also there is no shortage of dairy in India.
Paranthas, puris, rice, vegetables are the staple food. I would assume most of the meat eating population would be healthier, with some leaning on the overweight side.

Dairy is available to a good chunk of people. But for a poor family, it becomes a bit unaffordable on a regular basis. It is different for the poor folks with their own herd animals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom