What's new

India releases Mehbooba Mufti

Aspen

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Former chief minister of Indian-administered Kashmir, Mehbooba Mufti, has been freed by Indian authorities, more than a year after her detention.
She was detained on 5 August last year, when the Indian government stripped the region of its partial autonomy.
Under a controversial law, she was allowed to be kept in detention without charge for up to two years.
Her daughter had filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging her mother's detention.
She tweeted from her mother's account late on Tuesday , saying: "As Ms Mufti's illegal detention finally comes to an end, I'd like to thank everybody who supported me in these tough times."
The Indian government is believed to have detained thousands of other people last year - including activists, local politicians and businessmen, after it moved to revoke the special status of Indian-administered Kashmir in August.
In an audio message posted on Twitter after her release, Ms Mufti asked for the release of all those in jail.
She also said that the people of the region could not forget the insult they were made to face on 5 August and would have to continue to struggle.

Top Kashmir leaders hit with 'draconian' law

What happened in Kashmir and why it matters

The region had enjoyed a special status which allowed it to make its own rules about permanent residency, property ownership and fundamental rights.
The decision to strip the region of this special status and instead split it into two federally-administered territories had sparked widespread protests.
The government had deployed tens of thousands of troops to quell the unrest and enforced a crackdown on communication - although phone connections and internet access have since been partially restored.

Former chief minister of Indian-administered Kashmir, Mehbooba Mufti, has been freed by Indian authorities, more than a year after her detention.
She was detained on 5 August last year, when the Indian government stripped the region of its partial autonomy.
Under a controversial law, she was allowed to be kept in detention without charge for up to two years.
Her daughter had filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging her mother's detention.
She tweeted from her mother's account late on Tuesday , saying: "As Ms Mufti's illegal detention finally comes to an end, I'd like to thank everybody who supported me in these tough times."
The Indian government is believed to have detained thousands of other people last year - including activists, local politicians and businessmen, after it moved to revoke the special status of Indian-administered Kashmir in August.
In an audio message posted on Twitter after her release, Ms Mufti asked for the release of all those in jail.
She also said that the people of the region could not forget the insult they were made to face on 5 August and would have to continue to struggle.

Top Kashmir leaders hit with 'draconian' law

What happened in Kashmir and why it matters

The region had enjoyed a special status which allowed it to make its own rules about permanent residency, property ownership and fundamental rights.
The decision to strip the region of this special status and instead split it into two federally-administered territories had sparked widespread protests.
The government had deployed tens of thousands of troops to quell the unrest and enforced a crackdown on communication - although phone connections and internet access have since been partially restored.

Must have been pressured into becoming their puppet again. Let's see how they use her now.

After Pakistan's recent surgical Strikes and clear & strong demand of preconditions in response to Indian begging for Talks....India started to comply.

ofcourse Modi Terrorist Govt will deny like always,

Must have been pressured into becoming their puppet again. Let's see how they use her now.

They released her prior to an upcoming hearing in the Supreme Court. Hearing would bring up uncomfortable questions on the government's legal basis to detain her. Govt. thought it best to release her for now.

For Kashmiris opposing India, she will emerge as their voice (and a martyr) within the Indian political framework. But don't expect any politics in Kashmir for a long time.

They released her prior to an upcoming hearing in the Supreme Court. Hearing would bring up uncomfortable questions on the government's legal basis to detain her. Govt. thought it best to release her for now.

For Kashmiris opposing India, she will emerge as their voice (and a martyr) within the Indian political framework. But don't expect any politics in Kashmir for a long time.
Not because of Supreme Court. This court is also Indian, remember? The real reason was that Pakistan's intelligence warned India of Dalits, Muslims and Sikhs combined uprising against the Indian state. Didn't expect Pakistan could strike back in 2020. I also didn't expect RAW to be so careless that it couldn't pay attention to this detail. @I S I

- PRTP GWD

Not because of Supreme Court. This court is also Indian, remember? The real reason was that Pakistan's intelligence warned India of Dalits, Muslims and Sikhs combined uprising against the Indian state. Didn't expect Pakistan could strike back in 2020. I also didn't expect RAW to be so careless that it couldn't pay attention to this detail. @I S I

- PRTP GWD
very well put & informative post.

- Tldr IDGAF

Both Abdullah and Mufti are being released after software updates.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom