What's new

India to arm 40 MKIs with BrahMos missiles

Haanzo

Reaction score
India to arm 40 Russian-built fighters with BrahMos missiles | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

The Indian Air Force will arm 40 Su-30MKI Flanker-H fighters with BrahMos missiles, the head of BrahMos Aerospace said on Wednesday.

In an interview with RIA Novosti at the Defense Services Asia (DSA)-2010 exhibition, Sivathanu Pillai said that would make India's fleet of Russian-built fighters "absolutely unique" in firepower.

He said the first tests of BrahMos air-launched missiles were set for 2011, while the first fighter test flights with missiles on board are scheduled for late 2012.

:cheers:

think these would be the additional 40\42 in negotiation with russia..makes sense as they said structural strengthening would be required ..so maybe these would be new build flankers from russia :agree:

only 40..? :cry::cry:

not to worry mate brahmos carrying capability is not a basic necessity those 40 will not form a separate squadron or anything like that few of these babies will be distributed to every forward based squadron :taz:

SU-30+Kh-100+ Brahmos== Deadly combination..

think these would be the additional 40\42 in negotiation with russia..makes sense as they said structural strengthening would be required ..so maybe these would be new build flankers from russia :agree:

Its opposite , old mki's will be retrofitted with BRAHMOS.
Already 2 are in russia for that job and further upgrades.
Just read the link below , it will be clearer.

Plans on to fit BRAHMOS missile on Su-30MKI aircraft :: BrahMos.com

India has ordered 40 more than 230 originally ordered :D

I think it was 50 more MKIs. So total is 280.

Su-30 MKI with Brahmos is deadly combination. Long range and invincible. 10/12 SU-30MKI with 2 Brahmos per ac can take care of a fleet.

can any body tell me, what is going at nasik based su-30 manufacturing facility? what about local manufactured sukhois... do they have also capability to carry brahmos??

can any body tell me, what is going at nasik based su-30 manufacturing facility? what about local manufactured sukhois... do they have also capability to carry brahmos??

All the MKIs cannot carry Brahmos. They need stronger hard-points and software modification to carry Brahmos.

Nasik facility is working at full speed. All MKIs will be in IAF service by 2014/15.

I thought entire fleet of MKI will be capable of launching Brahmos.

the reason for this modufication is to counter PN NAVY AND PLA NAVY so entire fleet of MKI modification is not need 40 will do the job

Its opposite , old mki's will be retrofitted with BRAHMOS.
Already 2 are in russia for that job and further upgrades.
Just read the link below , it will be clearer.

Plans on to fit BRAHMOS missile on Su-30MKI aircraft :: BrahMos.com

ya thats true but it makes more sense in getting the newer Russian build mkis to have brahmos ...and its gonna be stupid for IAF to send operational fighters all the way to russia , it cant be done in nasik as all structural changes must be carried out by the original equipment manufacturer .... i may be wrong ,anyway its all speculation till more news is out..its gonna stay that way for a long time

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom