What's new

India to buy 50 more Sukhoi Su-30MKIs!!

Screaming Skull

Reaction score

Zhukovshy, Russia: Russian officials at MAKS 2009 (August 18 to 22) were upbeat about defence relations with India. The IAF will soon sign a contract for 50 additional Su-30MKI aircraft, and 40 more Mi-171V helicopters. Indian and Russian officials held extensive talks on upgrade of Su-30MKI and on modifications to carry BrahMos cruise missile on the aircraft. This is not all. According to Russian officials, the partnership on the fifth generation aircraft, PAK FA (T-50) and the Multi-purpose Transport Aircraft (MTA) is on schedule. Notwithstanding the uncertainty over INS Vikramaditya (Admiral Gorshkov), the first batch of MiG-29K/KUB fighters will be delivered to India by end this year. The remaining two IL-38SD aircraft of the Indian Navy with Russia since five years would also head home. And Russians are superbly confident of MiG-35’s successful participation in the 126 M-MRCA competition. They have also decided to field Kamov Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopter for the IAF’s 22 attack helicopter tender. With so much on the bilateral platter, Indian officials were Russian’s favourite flavour at the air show.

Back in New Delhi, senior IAF officials confirmed that the case for Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) for 50 additional Su-30MKI has been sent to the defence ministry. (This is over and above the earlier 40 Su-30MKI being sought from Russia. With 230 aircraft to be assembled by HAL, the IAF will now have a total of 320 Su-30MKI aircraft.) As this purchase will be on a fast track basis to arrest depleting force levels, it would take a maximum of three months for clearance by the Cabinet Committee on Security, after which the contract would be signed. Considering that all this would be a formality, both sides discussed and agreed on the production schedule of these additional aircraft at MAKS-2009. The cost of these aircraft would be higher than the earlier lots. By how much, both sides remained tight-lipped, with one official finally saying that each aircraft could cost 10 per cent more. This single order is upwards of Rs 20,000 crore.

FORCE - A Complete News Magazine on National Security - Defence Magazine

---------------------------​

Excellent news! I am not too sure about the final number of 320 though. I think it will be 230+50=280MKIs. imo the number 230 already includes the previous order of 40 additional MKIs. Anyway, 280 or 320, further addition of these beasts to the IAFs inventory is always welcome!

Last edited:
Yeah, really why need MRCA in presence of so many MKI?

MRCA is not just a Fighter deal, Its much more than that and everyone knows it.... Moreover, may be Mig 35 wont win the deal, So to keep happy Russia, GOI will buy more of these MKi birds. I will call, its a wise move.

Hmmm... keeping Russian happy was also my initial idea. I know MRCA is much more than fighter deal. So we can assume that F-18 SH are coming to IAF with lot of US weapons?

GUYS SOMETHING IS MISSING
I MEAN RECENTLY RUSSIAN airforce had signed a contract worth 2.5 billion $ for 48 su 35
this contract
also includes 4 su 30m2 and upgradation of 12 su 27

it is very evident....sukhois will be the backbone...as it integrates both russian hardware together with israeli electronics...so this combination serves the purpose of an alternative procurement routes to serve for the new competitions...hence better chances of obtaining new tech

wow..:victory: Great news ..:smitten::yahoo:
320 Su-30MKI's will make IAF kick-asz airforce in whole of Asia by 2015. Addd to that MRCA's and LCA's and IN's MiG29's will be just awesome...:taz:

Looks like Su30's will be replacing the MiG21's in numbers, instead of LCA's...

What is the cost of these orders?

Friend its not about cost. Sukhoi-30MKI is about pride and protection of our nation. India going gr8. By 5years india would be far more lethel. 3 times more powerful airforce than at the moment it is. Mig21 will vanish and other lethel jet fighters will join our airforce like MRCA and Pak-fa etc etc. i like the way india picking jet fighters. 'quality' all the way.

We will be having more and more fighter aircrafts, we will be building world class fighter aircrafts, afterall we have been researching upon it . India will have its Aircraft and airforce 5 times more better that Its now

Hmmm... keeping Russian happy was also my initial idea. I know MRCA is much more than fighter deal. So we can assume that F-18 SH are coming to IAF with lot of US weapons?

F-18 SH? Friend why pakistanis wishing india pick F-16IN or F-18 SH? Why so desperate? India gotta be brainless and fool to pick them. Do let me know how F-18 SH will win ok friend? Like 'TOT', useful for our 'LCA', american history, advantage pakistan (who knew more about F-16 etc etc. i know most pakistanis dont wanna hear about india looking into rafael and typhoon but it is more likely they are. Specially rafael. France giving india more than india can 'chew'. By the way friend we talk this in MRCA thread. This thread is about india adding asian pride mighty sukhoi-30MKI. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom