What's new

India to order 50 more Mi-17V-5 helicopters shortly

Kinetic

BANNED
Reaction score
Indian Air Force to order 50 more Mi-17V-5 medium lift choppers shortly in addition to earlier 80. So this will take the number to 130. :woot: Russia will start delivering the choppers from next month. :bounce: This will certainly enhance air lifting capability of IAF.

"The IAF chief announced that his service would shortly order 50 more Mi-17-V5 helicopters from Russia as a follow on to the 80 contracted in 2008 and which begin delivery in March."

Livefist: MMRCA Contract By Sept, Unless Spoilsports Shaft Our Decision: IAF Chief

day02_073.jpg

1752108.jpg

130 Mi-17 will considerably enhance the air lifting capability of IAF..One of the most capable and rugged heli of its class..

As far as i remember we also have 52 Mi17 currently in service

While first 80 Mi17v5 will replace 80 odd Mi8 currently in service

hmm.....mi17 v5 looks great.

what is difference between mi-17 old version & this new version

Why we buy from direct Russia ? I mean we can get TOT and assembly in india

Maybe ToT and local assembly does't make any sense here, because we'll hardly get any technological knowhow in this case (since we are already making good helicopters.) unlike in the case of fighter aircrafts. It's my point of view, i could be wrong though.

Maybe ToT and local assembly does't make any sense here, because we'll hardly get any technological knowhow in this case (since we are already making good helicopters.) unlike in the case of fighter aircrafts. It's my point of view, i could be wrong though.

TOT transfer could improve our manufacturing capaity

It's a shame India can't go for some more advanced helos like the UH-60 black hawks or AW-101 Merlins. The Mil-17 v5 is a good helo but surely a country with the 6th largest defence budget, CBGs, 5th gen fighters in development can get something a bit better for the 2nd largest land army in the world. Leave the Mil-17s for the Africans and Pakistanis.

TOT transfer could improve our manufacturing capaity

TOT can never go wrong and will surely they'll improve our manufacturing capacity, but there are whole line up of other aircrafts to be manufactured. Inducting different lineup will just increase the complexity.

It's a shame India can't go for some more advanced helos like the UH-60 black hawks or AW-101 Merlins.
India is basically trying to minimize the variety in it's arsenal. We really dont need to go after each and every gunship out there...and yes, we dont have a technologically superior country as our adversary. So Mi's can do the job :)

It's a shame India can't go for some more advanced helos like the UH-60 black hawks or AW-101 Merlins. The Mil-17 v5 is a good helo but surely a country with the 6th largest defence budget, CBGs, 5th gen fighters in development can get something a bit better for the 2nd largest land army in the world. Leave the Mil-17s for the Africans and Pakistanis.

Dude you are underestimating Mi-17V-5, its an excellent chopper and taking the cost into account I will say its the best. Over 12000 built so far and more than 60 countries use it. We have long experience of using them and Mi-17V-5 has considerable upgrades and modern systems.

actually we have aw-101 merlins for vip transport and 12 more are on orders

HAL has around 175 ALH order from army...
and many more from air-force and navy..

SO we need to induct them fast...
Let our arsenal be built in Russia and also in India..
It saves time..
And IAF doesn't want any delay in this deal like it happened with Navy's scorpene sub,which is being built under ToT...
:cheers:

I don't know why we are going for Soviet era weapons. Even Russians have accepted this and they will spend more on defense imports. Mistral class warship is a step in that step. I don't wanna say but Mi17 might be one of the least advanced fighter in that category. The American and European counterparts are way too advanced with advanced net-centric capabilities for future war, which is what our forces looking for.

Back
Top Bottom