What's new

India To Spend $6 Billion To Create New Forests

Planting 10 million saplings themselves is not wrong, but the areas that will be selected for afforestation typically and invariably suffer from drought like conditions and face the problems of soil erosion. And if no measures are taken beforehand, the saplings will soon wither away in the sun or get washed away in the run off. There was a joke around my school that we used to plant the sapling at the exact same spot every year.

Yes, the trees are very effective in stopping soil erosion but only after they are strong enough and have taken root.

You can check videos on afforestation efforts at Sadhana/Auroville Forest for more details.

Which is why I mentioned planing them just before monsoon.

Which is why I mentioned planing them just before monsoon.

Not trying to drag the argument longer than necessary, but you know as well as me that saplings need a lot more than just one good monsoon season to grow into trees/forests. Besides, the run off will make sure that the weak saplings are washed away unless ground is prepared beforehand to prevent exactly that.

There are some good videos by Israelis on afforestation (Sadhana forest is the brainchild of an expat Israeli couple) and how they have managed to have more tree coverage now than 100 years ago - the only country on earth to do that! Their afforestation efforts tend to stick with a very simple principle - to trap every rain drop into the ground where it falls with absolutely minimal run off.

Once you have trapped enough water in the surface, it is that much easier to grow trees and forests. In fact, in many cases, you don't even need to plant seeds/saplings - mother nature does the seed propagation/germination for you!

You have no idea how Forests helps the country.

You are saying this to a person who has been brought up in a small town in the midst of dense jungles !

They have their benefits , but I would prefer medical facilities, education , security and power for my people first rather than saving and planting some jungles now.

It's pretty clear , if we invest in infrastructure and power now , 10 years down the line we will have enough resources to covert 50% of our land to forests.

But if we do it now,we will be slowing down on our infrastructure and power segments , taking away job opportunities form the first educated generation of the tribals. And neither will we able to complete the goal of planting 33% of forests. The time is not right.

Not trying to drag the argument longer than necessary, but you know as well as me that saplings need a lot more than just one good monsoon season to grow into trees/forests. Besides, the run off will make sure that the weak saplings are washed away unless ground is prepared beforehand to prevent exactly that.

There are some good videos by Israelis on afforestation (Sadhana forest is the brainchild of an expat Israeli couple) and how they have managed to have more tree coverage now than 100 years ago - the only country on earth to do that! Their afforestation efforts tend to stick with a very simple principle - to trap every rain drop into the ground where it falls with absolutely minimal run off.

Once you have trapped enough water in the surface, it is that much easier to grow trees and forests. In fact, in many cases, you don't even need to plant seeds/saplings - mother nature does the seed propagation/germination for you!

The saplings are always planted when they have grown to the stage where they have a good chance of survival. Anything else would be meaningless.

A 3 month rainy season is enough for it to take root and let nature take its own course. Many will survive, some will die as is the law of nature.

Its important that something gets done rather than sit around for the perfect solution.

BTW not only are self sustaining in terms of green cover, but once they grow large enough, they also create their own climate and rain fall. It is a real wonder of nature.

A fourth of the forest cover has burnt down because of the Forest Fire in the last few days. That money would have been well spent if in the past two years the govt. had spent it on buying equipments to put out forest fire and putting processes and procedures in place that would have prevented forest fire.

Still it is better than nothing. I just hope they do it before the Monsoon start so that the sprouts have enough time to grow. But since this announcement came this late, I doubt that.

People should be encouraged to plant trees. Tribals and people who live near the jungle need to be paid to plant trees and take care of them. Govt. needs to outsource it big time if they really want this plan to work.
GPS tracking and Biometric signatures can ensure, the tribals or anyone who plant seeds as per required parameters, be made eligible for Salary at the end of the month,Along with the monitoring of the offshoots they planted.

Good thing to do. Maybe better than buying weapons.
Oh Well, we will buy Weapons only upto some point, don't dream more than that..
This is just our Conservation Project along with many others.So all Hands on Deck for this one, It's our Home and our Country.

Back
Top Bottom