What's new

India turns to Wal-Mart as food prices rise

Do not be angry. I was ironic JayAtl.
JayAtl said: "30 million starved to death ."
"30 million" is calculated by "Population growth projections." Projected population - Actual population = starved to death...

I said 8000000 Americans are starved to death, use the same calculation method.

”万“的翻译不是million。。。million是百万,”万“在英文中没有直接的翻译。

That is 50 years ago. Most of Chinese people have forgotten it. The history of each country all have been a famine. For example, the Great Depression(1929~1933), USA at least 800 million people starved to death.

Indians should learn to care about now.

Umm, the 1929 census shows that the population of the US was 122 million at the time, I fail to see how every US citizen starved to death 6 times over..
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1929.html
By 1933 the population had increased to 126 million...
http://www.infoplease.com/year/1933.html
Although malnourishment was common throughout the period of the great depression, and unemployment hovered at over 20%, there exists no evidence of any significant famine or die-off. Given the loose power of the US federal government at the time, there is no evidence of some type of mass cover-up either. There were about 2 million homeless people migrating the country, but they managed to scrounge, steal, or work enough to stave of starvation for the most part. In fact, there exists good evidence that life expectancy increased in the US during the great depression: Study: Life and death during the Great Depression Which seems to argue against your claim.

Umm, the 1935 census shows that the population of the US was 127 million at the time, I fail to see how every US citizen starved to death 6 times over..
Information Please: 1935
Although malnourishment was common throughout the period of the great depression, and unemployment hovered at over 20%, there exists no evidence of any significant famine or die-off. Given the loose power of the US federal government at the time, there is no evidence of some type of mass cover-up either. There were about 2 million homeless people migrating the country, but they managed to scrounge, steal, or work enough to stave of starvation for the most part. In fact, there exists good evidence that life expectancy increased in the US during the great depression: Study: Life and death during the Great Depression Which seems to argue against your claim.

Projected population - Actual population = starved to death

Umm, the 1935 census shows that the population of the US was 127 million at the time, I fail to see how every US citizen starved to death 6 times over..
Information Please: 1935

No one can cover starvation up. What can be done, however, is history being rewritten.

10 Million Americans Disappeared during the Great Depression Time

Now, we might argue that some were simply not born. However, going by the US age pyramid of the time, only 9.5% were under 5. If none of them were born, that only reduces the death rate by 9.5%. The rest of the people were already born. If they disappeared, they could only die. Another 2.7 million left by migration. What's left is around 7 million deaths to starvation.

Population Distribution by Age, Race, Nativity, and Sex Ratio, 1860–2005 — Infoplease.com

years//USA population
1920//106,020,000
1930//123,200,000
1940//132,160,000
1950//151,320,000

years//Increase population
1920~1930//17,180,000
1930~1940//896,000
1940~1950//1,9160,000

JayAtl said:"30 million starved to death."
I said:"8 million starved to death."

The same calculation method.

No, it means starved to non-existence. It did not mean that people died, it means that people had fewer kids and immigrated less. It also depends on your population model, look at the period between 1924 and 1929 it jumped by about 6 million as compared to a jump of 4 million between 1929 and 1933. So population growth obviously slowed,using a linear model, you would get 2 million people starving to death, not 8. Anyway, this ignores the fact that much of the population growth from 1924 to 1929 was immigration, which logically petered off after the great depression and the enforcement of the immigration exclusion act of 1924. In 1929 for example there were about 280,000 immigrants to the US, mostly from eastern Europe. Immigration drop off alone is enough to explain half of the shortfall in population in the period you are discussing. The other half probably comes from the fact that people without homes, jobs, or farms are not going to have many children.

Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss the matter, so I will leave the obvious gaps in your logic to speak for themselves.

Here is your Shining India. You need Wal Mart to come in and manage you people, otherwise without Anglo Saxon management you'll sell a donkey as a cow.

Roger Bate: India's Fake Drugs Are a Real Problem - WSJ.com

According to an investigation I just conducted with the Legatum Institute and the International Policy Network, the situation is as bad with at least some of Delhi's wholesalers. We found that 7% of all tested samples were substandard and 3.6% were likely counterfeit. It's probable that the drug supply in poorer areas is even more contaminated.

Chemical & Engineering News: Science & Technology - A Massive Case Of Fraud

A CHEMIST IN INDIA has been found guilty of plagiarizing and/or falsifying more than 70 research papers published in a wide variety of Western scientific journals between 2004 and 2007, according to documents from his university, copies of which were obtained by C&EN. Some journal editors left reeling by the incident say it is one of the most spectacular and outrageous cases of scientific fraud they have ever seen.[

Now this r two examples that especially catched my attention,fake drugs and India stealing research papers,I have also something to show u.

China exports fake drug with label “made in India”

http://http://www.knowabouthealth.com/china-exports-fake-drug-with-label-made-in-india/988/

About that stealing part,here is a nice article

Why China Has to Steal Technology

Why China Has to Steal Technology

well I can post 10 links to every link u have posted here,but why should i waste my time with a guy who have a lot of Imbecilic Quotient.

Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss the matter, so I will leave the obvious gaps in your logic to speak for themselves.

Agreed... if it makes people feel better to imagine that 8,000,000 (or 800,000,000) million Americans starved to death, more power to them.

I'd frankly be shocked if the number of actual starvation victims, people dying from lack of food, was 1/1,000th of 8 million. When people here see someone looking like a concentration camp victim or an allied POW in Japan during WW2, the natural reaction is to feed them. The food was available to do so, it was simply more expensive.

A real famine means lack of food. You couldn't feed people if you wanted to because the food does not exist.

Agreed... if it makes people feel better to imagine that 8,000,000 (or 800,000,000) million Americans starved to death, more power to them.

I'd frankly be shocked if the number of actual starvation victims, people dying from lack of food, was 1/1,000th of 8 million. When people here see someone looking like a concentration camp victim or an allied POW in Japan during WW2, the natural reaction is to feed them. The food was available to do so, it was simply more expensive.

A real famine means lack of food. You couldn't feed people if you wanted to because the food does not exist.

In most famines, the people that directly die of starving, that is, lack of calories such that their metabolism ceases function, is less than the amount of people who die due to immune system weakening. That is to say, people who count as "dying in a famine" include everyone that died in the famine that would've not died if there was no famine.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

No, it means starved to non-existence. It did not mean that people died, it means that people had fewer kids and immigrated less. It also depends on your population model, look at the period between 1924 and 1929 it jumped by about 6 million as compared to a jump of 4 million between 1929 and 1933. So population growth obviously slowed,using a linear model, you would get 2 million people starving to death, not 8. Anyway, this ignores the fact that much of the population growth from 1924 to 1929 was immigration, which logically petered off after the great depression and the enforcement of the immigration exclusion act of 1924. In 1929 for example there were about 280,000 immigrants to the US, mostly from eastern Europe. Immigration drop off alone is enough to explain half of the shortfall in population in the period you are discussing. The other half probably comes from the fact that people without homes, jobs, or farms are not going to have many children.

I have already refuted this point with the population pyramid and the upper limit of immigration being 3 million.

years//USA population
1920//106,020,000
1930//123,200,000
1940//132,160,000
1950//151,320,000

years//Increase population
1920~1930//17,180,000
1930~1940//896,000
1940~1950//1,9160,000

JayAtl said:"30 million starved to death."
I said:"8 million starved to death."

The same calculation method.

1. According to those statistics, the population growth was about 11 million people, not 896 thousand. Check your math.
2. You are right, it is a very bad way of saying X number of people starved to death, the actual decrease in the population of China by over 13 million though, that might be an indicator of something...
3. Mass starvation is followed by independent reports in most cases detailing many individual cases of starvation, both in photographs and in writing. These things are missing in the case of The Great Depression. They are not missing in the case of the "Three years of Natural Disasters" Also not missing in the case of the "Great Leap Forward" is explicit acknowledgment by the concerned government.

But again, we could create a whole new thread for this, so I will shut up now.

1. According to those statistics, the population growth was about 11 million people, not 896 thousand. Check your math.
2. You are right, it is a very bad way of saying X number of people starved to death, the actual decrease in the population of China by over 13 million though, that might be an indicator of something...
3. Mass starvation is followed by independent reports in most cases detailing many individual cases of starvation, both in photographs and in writing. These things are missing in the case of The Great Depression. They are not missing in the case of the "Three years of Natural Disasters" Also not missing in the case of the "Great Leap Forward" is explicit acknowledgment by the concerned government.

But again, we could create a whole new thread for this, so I will shut up now.

I know that statistical method is ridiculous.
But JayAtl said: "30 million starved to death ." It uses the same statistical methods.

I just was ironic JayAtl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom