What's new

India, U.S. agree to nuclear pact

Bull

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Thursday, March 2, 2006; Posted: 4:47 a.m. EST (09:47 GMT)
NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- India and the United States say they have sealed a landmark civilian nuclear power pact.

"We have concluded an historic agreement today on nuclear power," U.S. President George W. Bush told a joint news conference he held with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi on Thursday.

In the short span of seven years, the nuclear issue -- once the single largest irritant in Indo-U.S. relations -- is now the centerpiece of what both countries describe as a "strategic partnership."

It will allow the United States to provide expertise and fuel to India's burgeoning nuclear industry. In return, India would open up its civilian nuclear projects to inspection by international inspectors.

The deal requires approval from the U.S. Congress, where skeptical lawmakers have complained it could undermine the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty by allowing India to bypass it.

The pact comes as Bush tries to reduce his country's dependence on fossil fuels, and as India's booming economy seeks more power to fuel its growth.

The world's largest democracy is emerging as an economic powerhouse, with GDP growth in India forecast to grow at 8.1 percent in 2006 and its stock market trading at record highs.

Aware a growing India can buy even more goods and facing his lowest ever approval ratings at home, Bush is anxious to help.

But many Indian scientists and others in the nuclear establishment fear it will erode India's military ambitions.

Aware of their concerns, Singh has pleaded for their support.

"There has been no erosion of the integrity of our nuclear doctrine either in terms of current or future capabilities," he said earlier.

Despite the potential political fallout from the nuclear deal, there is a lot to gain for both sides from such a deal going ahead, one analyst said.

"The essence of this strategic partnership is to provide a countervailing influence to China ... to act as a restraint on the exercise of Chinese power," security analyst Brahma Chellaney told CNN.

China on Thursday was quick to respond.

Any pact "must meet the requirements and provisions of the nuclear nonproliferation regime and the obligations undertaken by all countries concerned," The Associated Press quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang as saying.

Originally posted by Inspector Bharat@Mar 2 2006, 04:46 PM
Nice. I think now IAF contract will surely go to either of boeing or LM jets.
[post=6544]Quoted post[/post]​

since the additonal 70 in order are for the Navy,its almost sure they will select the F 18s.

The deal is yet to get approval from the Congress, I think its a done deal as the Republicans hold majority in both Senate and Congress.

But there's strong oppositon from the NPT supporters in the USA.

Imho, the whole NPT sould be scrapped now.

If USA can bypass the NPT to serve its own interests, it becomes a proliferator itself.

What do you guys think of it?

BANG on target Neo. If NPT does not mean anything to the US when it comes to its national agenda and safeguarding of its national interests, then it has no right to direct criticism at, lets say, nuclear cooperation between China and Pakistan who are also doing what they think is right for their national interests.

US has dealth a huge blow to the NPT. Just like Iran and North Korea have withdrawn from the NPT, I wouldn't be surprised if more nations followed suit. US has come to terms with its double standards policy or it faces an uphill task in restoring its credibility around the globe, especially after the war in Iraq.

So NPT is violated and US is a proliferator.

What has NPT done so far(which is best declared as N apartheid),and what was the punishment meeted out for a proliferator?

India was never a signatory of NPT and had developed weapons standing outside it,and never was a single case of proliferation charged against it.

whilepakistan hasserious issues of proliferation issues which Bush mentioned as
'countries having different histories'.

Pakistan need to be worried,even after Mushraff taking a bold stance against radicals,the lack of rewards from US would be frustrating him and that was shown clearly when jumped the gun to request for a similiar N deal only to be rebuked by Bush.

What has mushraff got to show for his support for WoT?Whats the answer the public gets from him.

PS:Stating Iran and N korea at par with either India and Pakistan is utter foolishness.Though both our countries have been to war on several occasions,the leaders doesnt publicly announce the intent to "wipe each other from the face of the world".NOW THATS A BIG DIFFERENCE BTW US AND THEM!!!

Well NPT is the reason why so many countries gave up their nuclear ambitions. If you did not know that already, please do some research before posting on in here. It obviously hasn't been a hundred percent successful and effective but what the US has done is just foolish in trying to secure its interests.

Given your chain of thought, the world should do away with all world bodies and agreements signed & mandated by so many countries so that its everyone for themselves in the end. That is utter garbage. The geo-political arena isn't that simple and quite frankly, does not function that way.

Pakistan wasn't proliferating but ONE scientist was. Indian scientists were helping their Iranian counterparts as well on that count so no biggie! Compared to all that, this case of open US support crosses all limits. I'm sure Pakistan wouldn't be hesitant to engage with China on this issue at all.

Lastly, please keep to the topic. Do NOT wander off in different directions.

Originally posted by Sid+Mar 6 2006, 10:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sid &#064; Mar 6 2006, 10:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well NPT is the reason why so many countries gave up their nuclear ambitions. If you did not know that already, please do some research before posting on in here. It obviously hasn&#39;t been a hundred percent successful and effective but what the US has done is just foolish in trying to secure its interests..[/b]

How can securing ones interest be foolish??and for India is rewarded for its clean sheet on the nuclear field.

Originally posted by Sid@Mar 6 2006, 10:52 AM
Given your chain of thought, the world should do away with all world bodies and agreements signed & mandated by so many countries so that its everyone for themselves in the end. That is utter garbage. The geo-political arena isn&#39;t that simple and quite frankly, does not function that way.

quote me when did i say so...

<!--QuoteBegin-Sid
@Mar 6 2006, 10:52 AM
Pakistan wasn&#39;t proliferating but ONE scientist was. Indian scientists were helping their Iranian counterparts as well on that count so no biggie&#33; Compared to all that, this case of open US support crosses all limits. I&#39;m sure Pakistan wouldn&#39;t be hesitant to engage with China on this issue at all.[/quote]

Pakistan wasnt but one scientist was&#33;&#33;&#33; if your head of N research can do such things witout the knowledge of the entire pak establishment then thats a shame.

India was helping Iran,Huh from where did u get that news from and how come mushraff never said that to Bush when Bush mentioned about different histories.

Securing one&#39;s interests isn&#39;t foolish but doing it at the cost of jeopardizing all international standards on nuclear tech-sharing is just ridiculous. It means all that US stood for (its opposition to nuclear tech-sharing countries on the grounds of proliferation) was just hypocritical B.S.

But I&#39;m still not too surprised to US sign this deal with India, cuz hey, if they can turn their eyes away from Israel&#39;s acquisition of nukes and related tech from Britain, France and the US itself, this is no biggie&#33;

Yes if you read your last post again you would know the implications your comments were having, hence my reply.

Yes, Indian scientists were helping Iran, you don&#39;t hear much about it now because its the latest &#39;hush hush&#39; topic in US foreign policy because they don&#39;t want to embarass their &#39;new&#39; strategic ally.

Exactly these are some reasons which sometimes really make me mad about the U.S foreign policy, it always plays double role when it is in their interest, thus that is one of the reaons why i regard U.S unreliable.

India seems to be falling into this sort of bribe, by accepting this nuclear deal. However it is in Indias interests to go with this deal since there is nothing that is worthy enough that they are paying to U.S which they will regret later on. U.S will just inspect the civilian nuclear plants and will give it all the technology it can to setup India, but dont you think that the inspection would have been already taken place when trying to meet Indias energy needs?

This is no deal&#33; Its rather a deal for a benefit for only one side, and getting it into being a fruit cake when its the time to use it. Its like putting parts in your computer so it runs fast when you operate it&#33; (hint: India Vs China)

Originally posted by Sid@Mar 6 2006, 10:53 PM
Securing one&#39;s interests isn&#39;t foolish but doing it at the cost of jeopardizing all international standards on nuclear tech-sharing is just ridiculous. It means all that US stood for (its opposition to nuclear tech-sharing countries on the grounds of proliferation) was just hypocritical B.S.

But I&#39;m still not too surprised to US sign this deal with India, cuz hey, if they can turn their eyes away from Israel&#39;s acquisition of nukes and related tech from Britain, France and the US itself, this is no biggie&#33;

Yes if you read your last post again you would know the implications your comments were having, hence my reply.

Yes, Indian scientists were helping Iran, you don&#39;t hear much about it now because its the latest &#39;hush hush&#39; topic in US foreign policy because they don&#39;t want to embarass their &#39;new&#39; strategic ally.
[post=6724]Quoted post[/post]​

hypocritical...that&#39;s no news, we knew it and hats why we ddint sign the NPT.

No one should be surprised ,but still everyone over here is getting hysterical.There is a general tendency to create a &#39;oh ghoosh&#39; sentiment when we say nuclear,the N deal between india and US is to fuel the civilian reactors which wud be under IAEA and wud be used for fueling a economic thirsty country.

Why is that you know,and hence many other and even mushraff himself knows and still no one is crerating a hungama.Those N deal opposers in the congress can use this piece of info to stall the deal.But still no one speaks abt it,isnt that strange?

No one speaks about it? Hardly&#33; Everyday there are interviews by US congressmen and other senior politicians that US has blown a hole in the NPT by doing this.

And now Mr. Manmohan Singh accuses Australia of double-standards because it supplies uranium to China but not to India. I ask him HOW is it double-standards because John Howard simply told him, China is a member of NPT therefore they sell the uranium to the Chinese while India is not. Simple as that. He has refused to change the policy of not selling uranium to India saying that just because the US took a U-turn, doesn&#39;t mean that his country should do it as well. Good man&#33;

P.S. Australia has world&#39;s 40% of proven Uranium reserves.

Originally posted by Sid@Mar 7 2006, 01:14 PM
No one speaks about it? Hardly&#33; Everyday there are interviews by US congressmen and other senior politicians that US has blown a hole in the NPT by doing this.

And now Mr. Manmohan Singh accuses Australia of double-standards because it supplies uranium to China but not to India. I ask him HOW is it double-standards because John Howard simply told him, China is a member of NPT therefore they sell the uranium to the Chinese while India is not. Simple as that. He has refused to change the policy of not selling uranium to India saying that just because the US took a U-turn, doesn&#39;t mean that his country should do it as well. Good man&#33;

P.S. Australia has world&#39;s 40% of proven Uranium reserves.
[post=6751]Quoted post[/post]​

well whatever US has done or doing its all about safegaurdign its own intrests. US has no concern with wether the energy would be used for civilian projects or the deal would add to arms race, violat NPT or even lend India in a difficult position cuz sane segments of Indian society have been showing their reservasions about the deal. they are of the opinion that the deal would realy affecte Indian freedom to take important decisions like it was pressurised to do so in case of Iran.
Once India was considered so strong on this front that no one was able to make her take decisions against its will.

Hello guys before departing from the forum i want to post the bellow column that one of my friends has sent me its humerous im sure if u read carefully u will like it.
NOTE: NO offense to anybody so please if anyone annoyed at me for this do let me know, it just for a smile.
take care

(THIS WEEK&#39;S COLUMN:

"BUSH RIDES WAVE OF POPULARITY IN INDIA"
Web Column

President Bush recently spent two days in India, prompting
an estimated 100 million people to take to the streets to
protest his policies. Many carried banners calling him the
world&#39;s biggest terrorist and some really bad names in
Hindi.

"Welcome to India, Mr. President," U.S. ambassador David
Mulford said, shaking Bush&#39;s hand in New Delhi. "You&#39;re
going to like it here. Your approval rating is higher here
than in America. Indians absolutely love you."

"They love me?" Bush asked. "But 100 million of them are
rioting and calling me bad names. I&#39;m afraid to see what
they&#39;d do if they hated me."

"Don&#39;t take it the wrong way," the ambassador said. "It&#39;s
only 100 million Indians. The other 90 percent absolutely
love you. They adore you. "

"So you think I&#39;m safe here?" Bush asked, visibly relieved.
"No one will shoot me?"

"Very safe here," the ambassador said. "As long as you
didn&#39;t bring Mr. Cheney with you."

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the reports of 100
million protestors were greatly exaggerated. "I&#39;m not
disagreeing that 100 million people were on the streets," he
said, "but most of them were simply waiting for the bus. And
what looked like a riot to foreign journalists was just our
usual traffic."

Upendra Kumar, a Bangalore man who helped organize the
protests, agreed with Singh&#39;s assessment, adding that the
protests would have been more effective if all banners and
signs had been spellchecked. Indeed, one protestor, shown on
TV networks worldwide, carried a sign that said, "Go home,
Amrican terrierist." Another displayed a banner that said,
"George W. Bush: world&#39;s biggest tourist."

Despite the protests, Bush&#39;s visit was a resounding success.
He and Singh reached an agreement to share nuclear
technology and expertise. "I feel very confident about India
having weapons of mass destruction," Bush said. "This is a
peaceful country that loves all its neighbors."

To underscore the point, Bush visited a memorial to Mahatma
Gandhi and praised the leader&#39;s philosophy of nonviolence.
"He has had a great influence on me and the rest of
America," Bush said. "It is because of him and his
principles that we have chosen not to invade more countries.
We are keeping our nonviolence to a minimum. I mean, our
violence. You know what I mean."

Singh took Bush on a four-hour trip to the southern city of
Hyderabad. They stopped at a high-tech center after Bush
expressed a strong desire to "visit all the American jobs."

Singh told Bush that most of the jobs at the center had been
outsourced from America in the last five years. "You mean I
created all these jobs," Bush said, beaming from ear to ear.
"And to think the Democrats say I haven&#39;t done anything for
the economy."

As he left India for Pakistan, Bush said he hoped to foster
economic and political development that would make India&#39;s
neighbor "a force for freedom and moderation in the Arab
world." Bush later corrected himself, telling reporters that
he meant to say "the Muslim world."

"I know that all Muslim countries are not Arabic," he said.
"And I also know that all Arab countries are not Muslimic."

Meanwhile, White House press secretary Scott McClellan,
hoping to prevent another round of protests in the Muslim
world, refuted reports in various Arabic newspapers and TV
networks that Bush had said, "I know many people who are
putting their faith in Islam are bad."

"The president was misquoted," McClellan said. "What he said
was, &#39;My delegation is excited about President Musharraf&#39;s
desire to bring about positive change. I know many people
who are putting their faith in Islamabad.&#39;"

He added that the president had held important discussions
with Pakistani officials and had left the country with a
much better understanding of how to pronounce &#39;Islamabad.&#39;

----------------------------------------------------------
&copy; Copyright 2006 Melvin Durai. All Rights Reserved.
MelvinDurai.com

FROM THE ARCHIVES
Bush visits Africa in 2003
Web Column
Clinton visits India in 2000
Web Column

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
WANT MORE HUMOR? Subscribe to the funny columns of
Mad Kane, Chandra Clarke, Dave Glardon and Amy Chavez here:
Humorists
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

----------------------------------
TO SUBSCRIBE: Send a blank email to:
join-funnycolumns@relay.netatlantic.com
or go to: <a href="http://mail.yahoo.com/config/login?/ http://MelvinDurai.com/sub.html
">MelvinDurai.com</a>

I am sure you would like to ubscribe also.

Back
Top Bottom