What's new

Indian Army Chief's remarks

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
It is very good that Daily Star made an editorial about Indian army chief's remark. If I am not incorrect than this is the paper which is regularly read by Bangladeshi politicians, academics, diplomats and other peoples of power and position as well as the foreign ambassadors and diplomats working in Bangladesh. So it will certainly catch their eyes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thedailystar.net/editorial/indian-army-chiefs-remarks-1539955
Home
Editorial
12:00 AM, February 26, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, February 26, 2018
Indian Army Chief's remarks

Insensate and irresponsible

bipin.jpg

Indian Army Chief General Bipin Rawat. Photo courtesy: Indian Express/ File photo

The remarks of the Indian Army Chief regarding “planned migration” from Bangladesh and “proxy war” are not only irresponsible but also insensitive. He ascribes very dubious motives, that the “planned migration” of Bangladeshis into the Indian Northeast, particularly into Assam, is being done with the intention of changing the demographic character of the region, likening it to “Lebensraum”. He further accuses Bangladesh of being in cahoots with India's two archrivals, Pakistan and China.

Regrettably, General Rawat sounds like a politician, not a soldier. We wonder what provoked the Indian Army Chief to make such outlandish remarks, particularly at this point in time when Bangladesh is itself engaged in addressing a critical situation which impinges on its security, the Rohingya problem.

The recent comments, come as they do from the highest ranking officer of the Indian Army, are very disturbing, since those have serious ramifications on the current state of Bangladesh-India relations, which have never been better. It is more disturbing when taken in the context of actions Bangladesh has taken in the last ten years to assuage India's security concerns regarding its northeast. And to patently insinuate malintent on the part of Bangladesh in collusion with other countries, when our prime minister has repeatedly committed her firm resolve not to allow our territory to be used against any unfriendly activity against India, and has lived up to her words, is not only injudicious but also unwarranted.

Bangladesh is committed to peaceful and harmonious coexistence with its neighbours, and its policies, both regional and extra-regional, have amply demonstrated that. Whoever suggests otherwise is either ignorant or not in sync with reality.

upload_2018-2-26_10-15-40.png

Last edited:
He is the most powerful man in India, so he can say what he wants and play the games he wants.

I read on face book that Mr rawat also said that Pakistan is not a nuclear power

I read on face book that Mr rawat also said that Pakistan is not a nuclear power

He must have drunk the bottle of whisky taken from ISI for Indian army secrets.

Indeed. The Daily Star is the most popular English-language newspaper.

However, I feel it doesn't get to the point in my view. Many in the Indian media expressed similar views. It just doesn't cut it.

A good general should always be inconspicuous and avoid controversy. We can criticize all we want at him. We can question as to how is it that millions of Bangladeshis illegally migrate to the land of milk and honey in Assam while passionate nationalist Indians will brandish their thick skin and patriotism to prove otherwise. And the zoo continues.

But, the question is why would he mention two nuclear-armed states among one which boasts the world's largest army? How dare he? Isn't it odd to tag such powerful nations with a country like Bangladesh whose military does not come close to that of those two?

Given that he is a skilled general who definitely has his merits, I think he intended to use Bangladesh as some sort of cannon-fodder. See how those two react. And since they didn't say anything, we don't either. It is very simple. We say nothing!

Now, it is said that he was cherry-picked by the ruling BJP administration. Loyalty over merit! It was a mistake for the junior-level BJP leaders to praise the general's remarks. That is actually an advantage. Now if those are true, then that is good news for the Pakistanis and the Chinese. Remember, a lion leading an army donkeys is superior to that of a donkey leading an army of lions.

Indeed. The Daily Star is the most popular English-language newspaper.

However, I feel it doesn't get to the point in my view. Many in the Indian media expressed similar views. It just doesn't cut it.

A good general should always be inconspicuous and avoid controversy. We can criticize all we want at him. We can question as to how is it that millions of Bangladeshis illegally migrate to the land of milk and honey in Assam while passionate nationalist Indians will brandish their thick skin and patriotism to prove otherwise. And the zoo continues.

But, the question is why would he mention two nuclear-armed states among one which boasts the world's largest army? How dare he? Isn't it odd to tag such powerful nations with a country like Bangladesh whose military does not come close to that of those two?

Given that he is a skilled general who definitely has his merits, I think he intended to use Bangladesh as some sort of cannon-fodder. See how those two react. And since they didn't say anything, we don't either. It is very simple. We say nothing!

Now, it is said that he was cherry-picked by the ruling BJP administration. Loyalty over merit! It was a mistake for the junior-level BJP leaders to praise the general's remarks. That is actually an advantage. Now if those are true, then that is good news for the Pakistanis and the Chinese. Remember, a lion leading an army donkeys is superior to that of a donkey leading an army of lions.

Moron tagged in Pakistan and China to be popular with Hindu voters.

Moron tagged in Pakistan and China to be popular with Hindu voters.

That would have been true had he been a politician. But no, he is the highest ranking soldier in the Indian Armed Forces, is he not? I find that puzzling. It speaks about one's credibility of such an important position!

Is he already preparing for politics? Now that would be funny :lol:

Pakistan is ready to take responsibility for everything happening in India but "this mistake" belongs to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom