What's new

Indian Army hunts for sniper rifle under F-INSAS infantry modernisation pro

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Infantry-Soldier.jpg

The Indian Army is looking to identify new sniper rifles for its infantry regiments under the ambitious F-INSAS infantry modernisation effort. The Army expressed its urgency, asking for early responses from interested vendors. The Indian Army currently operates the Russian Dragunov and Israeli Galil sniper rifles, the latter almost solely by its Special Forces units.

The Army has called upon vendors to quickly respond with information pertaining to calibre, types of ammunition, maximum effective range with various types of ammunition against human targets, length and weight, muzzle velocity, full details of the integrated sighting system, modularity, details of mounting systems for add-on sights, details of flash suppression systems, reliability and effectiveness. Interested vendors will be called upon for quick trials in India under Army conditions. This particular procurement is likely to be a sizeable one, considering that it is for regular infantry, unlike an earlier ongoing purchase for sniper rifles specifically for the special forces units and National Security Guard.

Indian Army hunts for sniper rifle under F-INSAS infantry modernisation programme | idrw.org

Don't hunt just kill....................... I mean sign the deal u know what's best.

Good to see all the compontents are coming together for F-INSAS- MG, Sniper rifle, AR, CQB SMG etc and am glad the emphasis is now on speed. The GoI/MoD are going to have to pay a high price for yeas of neglecting the IA in terms of procurement. Almost everything in the infantry is going to have to be replaced and bought in the next few years.

Good to see all the compontents are coming together for F-INSAS- MG, Sniper rifle, AR, CQB SMG etc and am glad the emphasis is now on speed. The GoI/MoD are going to have to pay a high price for yeas of neglecting the IA in terms of procurement. Almost everything in the infantry is going to have to be replaced and bought in the next few years.

and i may add,years of negligence for not trying to make effective weapons indigenously.

and i may add,years of negligence for not trying to make effective weapons indigenously.

To some extent I agree certainly. But I'd have to add it has been (as with IAF and LCA) to a high degree the end user's inability to properly outline their requirements and then properly articulate this to OEMs effectively that has also been to blame as there is no doubt India has the raw talent and ability to deliver when needed.

It depends on what the IA are after. As the M82 is not ideal for every situation only specific missions/roles. If the IA is looking to procure more than one type then maybe the M82 can be considered. Look at US army where the M82 is in active service- they still have a plethora of sniper rifles in service not relying on the M82 alone.

I quite like the M2000 Intervention for the IA:

m2000+olive.jpg

It really depends on what the IA is looking though so unless we see the RFI/RFP in detail we can't properly ***** what weapon would best fit the IA's needs ie if they want a bolt-action rifle or not.

How about this?
3671508157_aac7d4c87e.jpg

EXACTLY WE HAVE MADE SOME DAMN GOOD SNIPER RIFLES IN INDIA... it doesnt surprise me, the Indian Amry is full of corruption its getting so bad. General Singh blew the top of the lid but there is much more that is being suppressed. Where is the debate on military and political corruption....

EXACTLY WE HAVE MADE SOME DAMN GOOD SNIPER RIFLES IN INDIA... it doesnt surprise me, the Indian Amry is full of corruption its getting so bad. General Singh blew the top of the lid but there is much more that is being suppressed. Where is the debate on military and political corruption....

Mate I think you're getting swept away in hysteria. It is nowhere near as bad as you say. And the Vidhwansak is an anti-material rifle with dubious capabilities. There is a reason it has been inducted in very small numbers.

+ compared to the rifles on the market India makes some serious crap. IA deserves the best and shouldn't be constrained by inability of domestic industries to make decent products.

Mate I think you're getting swept away in hysteria. It is nowhere near as bad as you say. And the Vidhwansak is an anti-material rifle with dubious capabilities. There is a reason it has been inducted in very small numbers.

+ compared to the rifles on the market India makes some serious crap. IA deserves the best and shouldn't be constrained by inability of domestic industries to make decent products.

actually only BSF inducted it.IA never went for it.capability is unknown..

actually only BSF inducted it.IA never went for it.capability is unknown..

Look at the picture- the guy is IA (Dogra Regmt) at the very least the IA knew of the system and tried it out. Fr whatever reason they didn't find it to their liking and hence this project. I've heard it isn't a great peice of equipment from those exposed to the SA system this is based on.

Look at the picture- the guy is IA (Dogra Regmt) at the very least the IA knew of the system and tried it out. Fr whatever reason they didn't find it to their liking and hence this project. I've heard it isn't a great peice of equipment from those exposed to the SA system this is based on.

If you compare with other peers, its too heavy, 20-30 kg, not mobile as well.

Back
Top Bottom