What's new

Indian AWACS thread

good sancho is here
bro, i wanted to ask abt networking linking in IAF
I believe MIG+Sukhoi have Glonaas support and network communication is non-nato type
While jags+mirage+mrca will have GPS and communication system quite close to NATO std ,
Our AWACS are western - I have a doubt how su are going to be linked to them,
who will do it .
Can sukhoi's data on board will be transmitted through awacs to our MRCA planes

Don't worry about that. Our Su-30MKI are upgraded to Israeli systems. So if a further upgrade is required, israel would be more than happy to add. Although I believe its already integrated.

But Mig21s and Jaguars and Mig27s may not be compatible with AWACS.

@jagjitnatt

Looks like Tom cruise vs Sunny Deol
I bet whom would you like to take in battle field
Mission impossible vs Border would be nice

Joke apart
Technically speaking A330/gulfstream have definite advantages
More stay in air , more sophisticated , not sure about crew members.
I also think IL76 cant Buddy refuel or Boom refuel from IL78 tanker.
Economical is only advantage but it gets negated when you consider fuel consumption.
Also IAF does not want more IL-76/78 (you can see iaf not prefer IL-78 refueler over A-330)

I know about it...........but its not dedicated Military satelite.:rolleyes:

Its primary role is weather related, disaster managament etc

Do you think so. ;)
Also it seems surprising that this is only declared satellite which has "some" military usage.

@jagjitnatt

I also think IL76 cant Buddy refuel or Boom refuel from IL78 tanker.
Economical is only advantage but it gets negated when you consider fuel consumption.

DSC_0303.jpg

Don't worry about that. Our Su-30MKI are upgraded to Israeli systems. So if a further upgrade is required, israel would be more than happy to add. Although I believe its already integrated.

But Mig21s and Jaguars and Mig27s may not be compatible with AWACS.

Plz specify which Israel system you are talking about in Network and communications subsystem of MKI.

@equiliz3r:

I believe India already has satellite for military usage.

India's spy in the sky: ISRO launches RISAT-2

there is big difference between a spy satellite for military use and a dedicated military satellite.

India is going to have 3 military satellites for Army, Navy and Air Force each.

They will be communication, navigation plus reconnaissance satellites.

The first one will be Navy, 2nd one will be of Air force and last will belong to Army.

Last edited:
No, actually its not a surprise
i have heard before also Israel is expecting IAF to order more Radar system to be placed on either A50/other air-frame
number was 6 more which i read - total 9
this news says total 6
Why do we always place small orders and then keep on increasing, Is it that we purchase without fully testing and then when we are satisfied increase order.

I think 3 are Phalcan AWACS and other 3 are indigenous developed AWACS.

And we have option of buying 3 Phalcon AWACS.

Hence total 9.

good sancho is here
bro, i wanted to ask abt networking linking in IAF
I believe MIG+Sukhoi have Glonaas support and network communication is non-nato type
While jags+mirage+mrca will have GPS and communication system quite close to NATO std ,
Our AWACS are western - I have a doubt how su are going to be linked to them,
who will do it .
Can sukhoi's data on board will be transmitted through awacs to our MRCA planes

Fighter planes need data link to get the battle pictures for AWACS a specific data link: India Declines Offer of Free Data Link - Aero India - 2009 once developed all fighters will use this and all our platforms will be using IRNSS/GLONASS for getting the co ordinates

Do you think so. ;)
Also it seems surprising that this is only declared satellite which has "some" military usage.

well it can be used for spying................but for military communications with AWACAS dedicated one needed.........dont you think so

With the arrival of the second AWACS, officials said the IAF can keep an eye on both the eastern and western front at the same time. "After the induction of the third system, we would be able to virtually cover the whole nation at one go," they added.

So, I assume the third one will be deployed in the southern region hence covering the entire nation in a triangular manner - ie, two in the north and one in the south.

Is that a starbucks logo? :rofl::rofl:

It doesn't make sense to outsource networking of Armed forces to a foreign company.

It shows that India lacks confidence in capabilities of Indian scientists and engineers.

Well, seriously speaking, this "networking" of tanks,aircrafts,tankers,satellites,missiles is not some kind of "alien" technology. Its totally within our own capacities.

Its simply a case of Armed forces screwing up DRDO just because they "trust" Israelis and love to depend on them for India's security.

Not a good policy, IMO.

On another note, it shows the "lax" and "puppet" attitude of Indian leadership. Quite similar to those congressi leaders who used to depend on British advisors for any serious policymaking.

Now, IAF has invented a new excuse for rejecting DRDO's AWACS project - "we don't like Embraer aircraft." One more change in original design specifications to kill home-made project !

The truth is, even politicians and babus don't want DRDO's AWACS project to succeed because they are happy with their "easy-life"(think less, take safer decisions) on imported stuffs.

This "escape to easier decisions" mentality screwed Indian R&D during Russian Imports era, when India used to import heavily from Russia and refused to fund big-ticket programmes at home. Now, USA, Israel has joined this game by successfully establishing commission network in Delhi.

Ok, so how much DRDO get per year? Just 15% of what India spends on imports.

The day India refused to cross border even by 100 meters in Kargil War, it became clear who is running this country's defense policy.

End of story.

Last edited:
It doesn't make sense to outsource networking of Armed forces to a foreign company.

It shows that India lacks confidence in capabilities of Indian scientists and engineers.

Well, seriously speaking, this "networking" of tanks,aircrafts,tankers,satellites,missiles is not some kind of "alien" technology. Its totally within our own capacities.
Nobody said that, but we are still beginners at this (DRDO AWACS), but need capable techs and platforms now in this neighbourhood. So nothing wrong with going for more capable foreign procurements, while indigenous developments still are going on. Last news about DRDO AWACS said induction in 2012, ok for me as longs as Phalcon is already in service!

Back
Top Bottom