What's new

Indian Govt to develop own operating system

OS, of course, is a piece of cake. A guy at my university made one (Kernel) another team wrote a revolutionary GUI for Linux kernel. I my self worked on OS161 :P

I was all interested in Microprocessor Development. And you should know better that if the Processor Architecture is different then you'd have to write new Kernel.

A new kernel is not required for a different processor architecture, unless the processor is not a von-neumann machine. You just need a new cross-compiler.

I think one thing should keep in mind before making this is.....to make GUI more user friendly like windows

Guys there is not much to brag about in creating yet another OS.... NO NEED FOR CHEST THUMPING... :hitwall:

Very true, instead of making me proud, it actually sickens me to see the ads. Its clearly another spin off of Ubuntu, whats the point of creating one and naming it Bharat OS?

For GUI we already have Gnome kind of stuff... so this is only a matter of download from open source build it using cross compilation tools and start running it...

This particular project wont need much of GUI. ( OOPs am i Talking too much here )

If at all you are going to develop your own hardware then the BSP and porting the kernel and drivers might be a challenging one... but I don't see the necessity for it...

Guys (atleast KillBill) and other CSE engineers who work/know system side please support me... else we might go on and start thinking that we are doing something great...

Nope this is a completely new uP. So the instruction set would be completely different. So the biggest challenge is to create the tool chain. Once the toolchain is ready, the BSP is the next challlenge. But If you give me a tool chain, I can give you BSP in 8 to 12 weeks ( Provided CPU support is there ).

But one thing I will tell you Pakistan may not have even this kind of capability.... :flame:

Not true. I have worked with a guy from Lahore, He is really good. They also have talent, but like India, the cream must be in West working in some big name in silicon valley.

Just because I say that GoI planning to develop its own OS is not a big thing to brag about don't think I am not an Indian...

If anybody is still in doubt then please read the following

Its for a defence product. And for tight security, everything is being created from scratch. The project is scheduled for 4 years to bring out the first prototype ( Which I believe is a bit opptimistic)

Is Indian government making Microprocessor and OS?
Which means that the new OS will work on new Microprocessor.
But Microprocessor is not alone, it requires compatible board and RAM etc.

Both, along with many other things

Oh Really? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

What's so funny? The average design cost of a microprocessor is around $100 million. Let's say Wipro wants to design a microprocessor. Wipro's annual profit is around 45000 million Rs, which comes to around 1 billion dollars. Wipro will be able to easily fund multiple microprocessor projects the day it deems it necessary.

Here's Wipro's financial data report for 2008-09.

http://www.wipro.com/corporate/investors/pdf-files/annual-report/AR2008_09_highlights.pdf

OS, of course, is a piece of cake. A guy at my university made one (Kernel) another team wrote a revolutionary GUI for Linux kernel. I my self worked on OS161 :P

I was all interested in Microprocessor Development. And you should know better that if the Processor Architecture is different then you'd have to write new Kernel.

Bare metal kernel is definitely a piece of cake once you are done with processor architecture users manual :)

What's so funny? The average design cost of a microprocessor is around $100 million. Let's say Wipro wants to design a microprocessor. Wipro's annual profit is around 45000 million Rs, which comes to around 1 billion dollars. Wipro will be able to easily fund multiple microprocessor projects the day it deems it necessary.

Here's Wipro's financial data report for 2008-09.

http://www.wipro.com/corporate/investors/pdf-files/annual-report/AR2008_09_highlights.pdf

And why do you assume that I wont be knowing about Wipro? :azn:

Its not the money,its the attitude...

If I start talking, people will start labeling me as a Chinese... So I better not talk on this point.

BTW thanks for the info:cheers:

And why do you assume that I wont be knowing about Wipro? :azn:

Its not the money,its the attitude...

If I start talking, people will start labeling me as a Chinese... So I better not talk on this point.

BTW thanks for the info:cheers:

I don't assume anything. I was merely curious as to why you were rolling down the floor when its quite obvious that the organization in question has the monetary resources to start 10 independent microprocessor projects in a year.

What attitude are you talking about? I've worked in Indian MNCs and I currently work at Qualcomm which kicks *** in microprocessor development and let me tell you, the design team here is 60% Indian and 30% Chinese. There is nothing wrong with attitude. The financial statement of Wipro shows that. Earning 1 billion dollars in pure profit is not a Joke.

I don't assume anything. I was merely curious as to why you were rolling down the floor when its quite obvious that the organization in question has the monetary resources to start 10 independent microprocessor projects in a year.

What attitude are you talking about? I've worked in Indian MNCs and I currently work at Qualcomm which kicks *** in microprocessor development and let me tell you, the design team here is 60% Indian and 30% Chinese. There is nothing wrong with attitude. The financial statement of Wipro shows that. Earning 1 billion dollars in pure profit is not a Joke.

The financial might is definitely there, but the will is lacking. Again no one is questioning about the abilities of Indian engineers but about Indian companies. Wipro is a purely service oriented company. It has not and will not start any ambitious product development.

I have also worked in Kick *** companies in kick *** projects. I have also worked in an environment where the talent pool is of Indian people, but again the same point is reiterated that its the people who are brilliant but all of them are working for MNCs.

Again, lets not discuss about Wipro here, as thats purely offtopic. If interested we can talk in PM

The financial might is definitely there, but the will is lacking. Again no one is questioning about the abilities of Indian engineers but about Indian companies. Wipro is a purely service oriented company. It has not and will not start any ambitious product development.

How can you question the ability of an organization which posts 1 billion dollars in profit in a time of recession? How many organizations are able to achieve that? Why should Wipro start product development when it can achieve the same results (realize profits) without any investment? Its business 101.

guys I think the topic going haywire now..the discussion now seems to be on wipro rather than the OS being built.
@falconfox- buddy..ask me, an ex wipro employee..they are the worst employers with the worst treatment to the employees in India.so dont create a picrure on their margin of profit at the time of recession.their earnings also forms the part coming from the BPO industry an not alone technologies.

How can you question the ability of an organization which posts 1 billion dollars in profit in a time of recession? How many organizations are able to achieve that? Why should Wipro start product development when it can achieve the same results (realize profits) without any investment? Its business 101.

You answered your very own question. :coffee:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom