What's new

Indian man suffers racist attack in Britain

S_O_C_O_M

Reaction score
Indian man suffers racist attack in Britain

13 Oct, 2010, 03.12PM IST,IANS

LONDON: An Indian-origin man was brutally assaulted in Britain when he tried to stop a gang of men from attacking a woman. He was called an "Indian b******".

Pankaj Rawat , an Indian shop assistant, suffered a broken jaw after being assaulted at Edinburgh's Waverley Bridge Saturday, Edinburgh Evening News reported Wednesday.

Rawat, 21, was walking home when he tried to intervene to protect the woman on Waverley Bridge.

The gang hurled racial abuses before punching him to the ground. He was repeatedly kicked during the attack.

He was taken to hospital where in a procedure he had a metal plate fixed to his fractured jaw.

Rawat, who moved from India to Edinburgh 18 months ago, lost his job due to the attack as shop owners were not able to give him four weeks off work to recover from his injuries.

Police are looking for five men involved in the attack on him.

"I'd been out for a friend's party at Mood and was walking back to my home in Tollcross with another friend. As we were crossing Waverley Bridge, I saw two Scottish men shouting at a woman. One of them was pushing her and trying to kiss her, and she was shouting for help," Rawat recalled, the eveninger reported.

"I told them to leave her alone or I would call the police. The man who was pushing the woman came over to me and asked where I was from. I told him I was from India and he started shouting 'b***** Indian b******' at me," Rawat was qouted as saying.

"I told him I didn't want any problems, but he couldn't do that to a woman. He kept making racial comments, then he punched me on the side of the cheek. He punched me a second time and I fell to the ground."

"The other man with him came over and both of them started kicking me on the face as I was on the ground. Another three men also stood around me so my friend couldn't see what was happening."

Rawat went on to say that though he was released from the hospital Monday, he was still in a lot of pain.

"I have painkillers to take and I need to stay on a liquid diet. I lost my job, though, because they weren't able to give me the month off," he said.

"It was totally a racist attack because they kept asking where I was from and shouting racist abuse. I came to Scotland last year and I've had people calling me a '****', but this is the first time I've been assaulted."

A police spokesman said: "This has been an appalling assault against the victim for no reason other than his race and his efforts to come to a young woman's assistance."

Indian man suffers racist attack in Britain - The Economic Times

here we go...Everytime Britain finds itself in an economic crisis, minorities are blamed, shows how support for the EDL and BNP is growing.

I salute the brave man :tup:

What is the UK govt doing to compensate him ??

He deserves compensation

Nothing, they won't compensate him in anyway except maybe try to find who attacked him.

The Tory govt is not willing to spend any more then needed.
This govt has taken away alot of benefits such as;

• Child benefits
  • Disabled people's benefits (cut significantly)
  • Defence spending cuts
  • NHS spending cuts
  • Pension age being increased to 70
  • University funds and grants
  • +loads more
it's very unlikely that they give the guy any sort of compensation what so ever.

He did the right thing and got his a** kicked. Its high time to reconsider his friendship. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Now a days Racist treatment with Indians is increased many fold!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's only that such cases are being reported much more nowadays! Racism against brown, black and yellow people has existed from decades, and it will continue to exist as long as our nations are economically weaker than theirs, and we keep sending immigrants and temporary workers to their lands.

We need to strengthen our economies and bring them to Western standards, and this applies to India, Pakistan, China, Sri Lanka, Bangadesh and hundred other countries!

A brave man indeed.

I do not think it was an intentional racist abuse. The gang seems to be pissed off at this guy who rose to resist them. This made thme agnry and they adopted violent means.

However good job by Rawat. Culprits should be punished.

Not in UK, here a racist attack can be against anyone, lately the Polish have been getting it big time, they are one of the most hated. Also recently a Musulman was standing outside a mosque with his grandkid, when a thug smacked him, the man died, here is a link:

'Happy slappers' who killed grandfather outside mosque may walk free in months - ParentDish - UK

We are living in crazy times!

earlier most of them went unreported...secondly, we get to hear this more, especially after the series of incidents in australia.

Back
Top Bottom