What's new

Indian Navy Exercises Options For 3 More Scorpene Submarines

I can vouch for this info
It is Hundred Percent Correct , Navy had decided to order additional Scorpenes last year alone , they had requested for quaotation from DCNS for possible procurement of 2 Additional Subs DCNS had even offered to supply 2 scorpene Subs built at its own shipyard TO Indian Navy
by 2016 if the Navy Excercises the option in 2011 , Well the navy has excercised the option but it seems that it wants 3 additional Subs rather than 2 which were previously sought
However , what i dont like is that according to news , additional 3 Scorpene would be built at Mazagaon Docks
As per My sources navy were adament on getting 2 Subs from vendor itself rather than getting all additional subs from Mazagaon Docks , This request was made so as to ensure delivery of atleast 2 of the additional Subs by 2016-17, However this request fell on Deaf Antony Ears . AK Antony is still sticking with promoting Indegenisation , What he doesnot understand is that while are good at building Frigates , Destroyers and corvettes
, we are not so good at building submarines , well conventional ones atleast

Getting All additional Sub built at Mazagaon Dock means that first of this follow on order will be delivered not before 2019 and last one by 2021
Also This order is made becoz Indian Navy Knows that it will not be possible for MOD to decide on a new line of Subs till atleast 2013 and there is high possibility of further delay hence additional orders were announced for scorpenes
The fact that Mazagaon Docks has all the facilities to build Scorpenes and has fully absorbed the technology it would be much better to just extend the production line than build a new line for a new type of submarine which would cause an additional 18 months to build the Facilities and train the workforce

Last edited:
However The news is not correct regarding the Retirement plan of Indian Navy
The news states that India currently has 14 Subs ie 10 Kilo Class and 4 Type 209 Subs , out of which India would be left with 7 Subs by 2015
That Figure is absolutely bogus , it is based on the assumption that indian navy will retire its subs after 25 yrs in service
However as per Navy chief first of Kilo class will Retire in 2015 after 29 yrs in service while the first Type 209 will retire in 2017

Also news says that Indian fleet will decline to 7 by 2015 , which is also not correct as it doesnot take into account 3 Arihant class and 1-2 Akula II Class Subs which india will induct in next 5 yrs
By the way India is also upgrading 7 Kilo class and 2 Type 209 Subs , out of which 7 Subs ( 5 KILO , 2 Type 209)have been upgraded , after these upgrades these 9 subs could serve if required till they are 35 yr old

Let us just assume that India does retire a few subs before 2015 , i still dont think that combine number would fall below present 14 ie it could be 10 diesel electric + 4 Nuclear Powered , frankly i dont see India retiring the upgraded subs before 2018

However The news is not correct regarding the Retirement plan of Indian Navy
The news states that India currently has 14 Subs ie 10 Kilo Class and 4 Type 209 Subs , out of which India would be left with 7 Subs by 2015
That Figure is absolutely bogus , it is based on the assumption that indian navy will retire its subs after 25 yrs in service
However as per Navy chief first of Kilo class will Retire in 2015 after 29 yrs in service while the first Type 209 will retire in 2017

Also news says that Indian fleet will decline to 7 by 2015 , which is also not correct as it doesnot take into account 3 Arihant class and 1-2 Akula II Class Subs which india will induct in next 5 yrs
By the way India is also upgrading 7 Kilo class and 2 Type 209 Subs , out of which 7 Subs ( 5 KILO , 2 Type 209)have been upgraded , after these upgrades these 9 subs could serve if required till they are 35 yr old

Let us just assume that India does retire a few subs before 2015 , i still dont think that combine number would fall below present 14 ie it could be 10 diesel electric + 4 Nuclear Powered , frankly i dont see India retiring the upgraded subs before 2018

^^I've seen estimates vary. Do you have a firm Idea as to when the first scorpenes will begin entering service?

^^I've seen estimates vary. Do you have a firm Idea as to when the first scorpenes will begin entering service?

First one will enter service in 2015 , the rest will follow at 7 months interval , with last one delivering in 2018
Hull of the first 4 Subs are complete while remaining 2 will be completed by 2013 , Construction of Follow on subs will begin in 2012 with deliveries in 2019
DCNS had recently said that all the integration and tech absorbtion troubles which Mazagaon Docks was facing are now over and the shipyard will now deliver subs after 7 months interval instead of 12 months , becoz shipyard will complete a lot more work before launching the subs than was Previously planned
Last 5 Scorpenes will be delivered with AIP while First 4 will carry land attack cruise missiles

First one will enter service in 2015 , the rest will follow at 7 months interval , with last one delivering in 2018
Hull of the first 4 Subs are complete while remaining 2 will be completed by 2013 , Construction of Follow on subs will begin in 2012 with deliveries in 2019
DCNS had recently said that all the integration and tech absorbtion troubles which Mazagaon Docks was facing are now over and the shipyard will now deliver subs after 7 months interval instead of 12 months , becoz shipyard will complete a lot more work before launching the subs than was Previously planned
Last 5 Scorpenes will be delivered with AIP while First 4 will carry land attack cruise missiles

2015 is the date for entry into service. So I assume the first one is scheduled for a 2013 launch?

SHIP_SSK_Scorpene_OHiggins_Cutaway_lg.gif

I heard the first Scorpene will be delivered in 2014 and will enter in service by the end of 2015(correct me if i am wrong). These shipyards are getting more stronger than navy. Govt. has stopped listening to Navy and they listen to our shipyards. The same thing happened in P17A also. All the frigates in this project are based on modular designing which our shipyards has no knowledge of. Our navy proposed the feasible thing that the first 2 of the 7 frigates should be made at the vendor shipyard, so that our people can learn from those 2 and apply to the next 5.

But no, our shipyards are filled with some smart *** people. Right now they feel like they can build anything but as the work will start they will understand how better was Navy's idea. The only problem is that we will face a lot of delays.

I just don't get it. All these DPP policies are unveiled but actually nothing is happening. We have shipyards like Pipavav, Hazira and Bharti but we don't wanna use them.

I really hope we select LnT for P75I, we will get a better product and at the right time. If not submarine then destroyers and frigates. I think P17a will be the best option. We also have P28A coming, this could also be given to Pvt. shipyards.

The problem is that our govt. raised the hopes of our private industries. Now when they have spend millions of dollars setting up infrastructures, they are not given the chances.

If something is not done quickly these companies will turn into bankruptcy. This is our time, we could almost double our production or reduce the the time to half if we really want to do so.

so why we not get all scorpane submirine with Aip!??can we convent them for capable Aip technology ?

Back
Top Bottom