What's new

Indian Navy planning to procure four AEW&C planes

Navy planning to procure four AEW&C planes

New Delhi, June 7 (PTI) Looking to strengthen its surveillance capabilities and control over the maritime zone, Indian Navy is planning to procure four aircraft carrier-based Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) planes.

"We are planning to procure four carrier-based AEW&C aircraft to carry out airborne surveillance, detection and tracking of airborne and surface contacts and control air interceptions and air strikes," Navy officials told PTI here.

At present, the Navy operates the carrier-borne Kamov-31, which were procured from Russia for early warning roles.

Using AEW&C aircraft on aircraft carriers will help in expanding the area under surveillance near the area of their deployment, they added.

"The control over the area would also be increased as the AEW&C aircraft can detect enemy fighter and maritime patrol aircraft and direct the fighter planes attached with it towards them and take them out," officials said.

fullstory

Navy planning to procure four AEW&C planes

New Delhi, June 7 (PTI) Looking to strengthen its surveillance capabilities and control over the maritime zone, Indian Navy is planning to procure four aircraft carrier-based Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) planes.

"We are planning to procure four carrier-based AEW&C aircraft to carry out airborne surveillance, detection and tracking of airborne and surface contacts and control air interceptions and air strikes," Navy officials told PTI here.

At present, the Navy operates the carrier-borne Kamov-31, which were procured from Russia for early warning roles.

Using AEW&C aircraft on aircraft carriers will help in expanding the area under surveillance near the area of their deployment, they added.

"The control over the area would also be increased as the AEW&C aircraft can detect enemy fighter and maritime patrol aircraft and direct the fighter planes attached with it towards them and take them out," officials said.

fullstory

which aircraft carrier would they be based surly the only option is the IAC-II which will have CATOBAR the only option to launch heavy fighters or slow, heavy AEW&C a/c like the E2 Hawkeye

Without good AEW we cannot exploit full potential of aircraft carriers. Carriers are excellent tools for long range strike against naval fleets, for that they first need to track the enemy.

Possible options and which carrier are we talking of .

Difficult to say, the Ka 31 are pretty new, so I doubt that IN wants to by new helicopter AEWs for Gorshkov, or Vikrant. This new order could be for IAC 2 that will be bigger and possibly with CATOBAR layout and the best actual option would be E-2Ds, although I still hope for V22 AEWs.

E2D is better if you can have EMALS or steam catapults . V22 if and only if you are in problem of sky-jump type carrier . V22 dosen't add any advantage , moreover who will pay for higher cost of development and cost of system itself .

^^^ whats that for ???? MODS DELETE THE THREAD PLEASE

LoL sorry i though you made up the news to waste peoples time ,

the thread had no link , or content.

later i understood what happened , so sorry :cheers:

E2D is better if you can have EMALS or steam catapults . V22 if and only if you are in problem of sky-jump type carrier . V22 dosen't add any advantage , moreover who will pay for higher cost of development and cost of system itself .

Not for IAC2 only of course, but I would like to see them for all IN carriers! One common platform that can be used on all type of carriers. Not sure if V22 could be used with catapult starts, but it can also use the short take off capabilitiy like a normal aircraft.
A team up between HAL and Boeing for such a version would be worth it, not only for IN carriers, but there are a lot of other potential customers. UK, Italy, Australia, Japan, Korea, in fact all navys that use STOVL, or STOBAR carriers.
The Ka 31 are simply too limited in range and capabilities to be a useful AEW aircraft.

Not for IAC2 only of course, but I would like to see them for all IN carriers! One common platform that can be used on all type of carriers. Not sure if V22 could be used with catapult starts, but it can also use the short take off capabilitiy like a normal aircraft.
A team up between HAL and Boeing for such a version would be worth it, not only for IN carriers, but there are a lot of other potential customers. UK, Italy, Australia, Japan, Korea, in fact all navys that use STOVL, or STOBAR carriers.
The Ka 31 are simply too limited in range and capabilities to be a useful AEW aircraft.
V22 is a good option for STOBAR carriers, but some say it cant be a very good AEW aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom