SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Navy to strengthen its under-water capabilities

8508296424e3235ebab366.jpg

Posted On: Jul 29, 2011

NEW DELHI (PTI): Seeking to enhance its fleet of nuclear and conventional submarines through several multi-billion dollar deals, the Navy has appointed an officer to look after the acquisition and planning of its underwater vessels.

"Rear Admiral M T Moraes will take over as the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Submarines) at the naval headquarters here Friday," the Navy said in a release.

The appointment assumes significance as the post was not being filled for the last many years and comes at a time when the Navy is planning to induct Russian Akula Class nuclear submarines, indigenously-built Arihant Class nuclear submarines and is looking to procure six Project-75I conventional submarines in the near future.

ACNS (SM) looks after perspective planning and acquisition of submarines for the Indian Navy, the release said.

The Navy is looking forward to strengthening its under-water capabilities in view of the increasing capabilities of Pakistani Navy and the presence of Chinese vessels in the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean.

The cost of the acquisition for the six P-75I submarines is expected to be more than Rs 50,000 crore.

India currently operates a fleet of Russian-origin Kilo Class and German-origin HDW submarines and is mulling over inducting the first of its six Scorpene submarine in 2015.

Under its 30 year plan, the Navy is looking to induct 24 conventional submarines along with more than three nuclear submarines of the Arihant Class.

Indian Navy to strengthen its under-water capabilities - Brahmand.com

this is the one service which is always looking forward and planing accordingly . they have the most indigenous weapons platform too.

Strengthening of submarine fleet is essential.i hope navy will build a submarine base in A&N islands.it is essential for guarding our backyard

Everything is fine but i am still not able to understand the cost of acquasition of six submarines under the project P75i....Around 1.7 billion dollars per copy....

Good going..Now lets hope in 2015 the deal is signed..

good news! finally GOI has come to senses. i hope there wont be any delays from now on.:cheers:

Everything is fine but i am still not able to understand the cost of acquasition of six submarines under the project P75i....Around 1.7 billion dollars per copy....

Same Here... I think Pak is playing smart here. They are buying stuff way cheaper than India is, and there is not much difference in Tech it seems. I am amused by the price tag of 50,000 Cr for 6 Subs. We should get double that number for that price. Plus India needs to Plan for at least a dozen nuclear subs if not more.

By ~ 2025 IN's submarine arm will strong and will be operating out of huge sub bases being built right now.

I hope this post is not filled just to make someone happy. P75I should be signed as soon as possible. If the project starts by 2013 its possible that it will be completed by 2020 if given to LnT. MDL should be kept far away from this project considering the importance of this project and IN cannot afford to face more delays. After P75 is over, which will take time, MDL can start to work on indigenous SSK as it is time for these idiots to stop asking for tech and start building some of their own by teaming up with DRDO.

India need to have at least 9 set of nuke subs + 30 diesel subs for securing Indian sphere of interests.

They are very very slow. Too slow.

Army's artillery and navy's submarines , two road blocks of development.

Back
Top Bottom