What's new

Indian Political Corner | General Election 2014, All Updates & Discussions.

There are many rather majority Indians on forum who believe that the above points can be easily ignored because they claim that Modi will develop India beyond imagination also Modi will have a tough foreign policy.

Whats your take on it?

He's a very able administrator. He has bought impressive business progress to Gujarat.

However impressive his accomplishment, his PR is even better, beyond (IMO) his actual accomplishments. His FB page, for example, was supposed to be run by a team of 10-15 people (not sure about the exact number) at a time when most other Indian politicians barely knew about the internet. His use of online social marketing to attract Indian youth could well be a classic case study.

He has captured the imagination of the Indian middle classes, the educated, the youth because everyone is frustrated by the current lot of national politicians. Huge corruption, social disorder, poverty, the arrogance of our leaders - India has reached a stage when these are not to be tolerated any more. So many of us have traveled abroad, or has relatives living abroad that we know that there has to be a better way.

Unfortunately there are few viable alternatives in Indian politics. National leaders are inane, incompetent, nepotist, spineless. The ones who are good are just not popular enough or have a realistic mass base (Kejriwal). So we have good leaders without mass support, and bad leaders who have a political base. Modi seems to be a 'good' leader with a mass base for many Indians, so he seems to be the best of a bad lot.

It seems like I have written a letter of support for Modi. :lol:

Let me tell you why I will not vote for him. For me he will always carry the taint of his religious/ fundamentalist past and this is a grave danger to India. Hardening attitudes of the middle classes is disastrous for any country - you only have to look at history.

I will also explain that I apply this to Muslim fundamentalism as well. 'Islam this, Islam that, Islam the other'. 'I'm a Muslim, I want special privileges, but hey when you're in a Muslim country you're not going to get any'. 'Yes Islam is the religion of peace, never that mind Muslims are on the rampage in many parts of the world'.

So I hasten to add that mine is not an 'anti-Hinduvta' attitude. If anything my dislike of Muslims fundamentalism is in fact even greater, and my contempt for Muslim politics in India is even deeper.

But in the end Modi represents a door I don't want my country to open. But it looks like we're going to open it soon enough.

He's a very able administrator. He has bought impressive business progress to Gujarat.

However impressive his accomplishment, his PR is even better, beyond (IMO) his actual accomplishments. His FB page, for example, was supposed to be run by a team of 10-15 people (not sure about the exact number) at a time when most other Indian politicians barely knew about the internet. His use of online social marketing to attract Indian youth could well be a classic case study.

He has captured the imagination of the Indian middle classes, the educated, the youth because everyone is frustrated by the current lot of national politicians. Huge corruption, social disorder, poverty, the arrogance of our leaders - India has reached a stage when these are not to be tolerated any more. So many of us have traveled abroad, or has relatives living abroad that we know that there has to be a better way.

Unfortunately there are few viable alternatives in Indian politics. National leaders are inane, incompetent, nepotist, spineless. The ones who are good are just not popular enough or have a realistic mass base (Kejriwal). So we have good leaders without mass support, and bad leaders who have a political base. Modi seems to be a 'good' leader with a mass base for many Indians.

rightly mentioned many points. BUT my question remains will these fetch him PMship?

Let me tell you why I will not vote for him. For me he will always carry the taint of his religious/ fundamentalist past and this is a grave danger to India. Hardening attitudes of the middle classes is disastrous for any country - you only have to look at history.

I will also explain that I apply this to Muslim fundamentalism as well. 'Islam this, Islam that, Islam the other'. 'I'm a Muslim, I want special privileges, but hey when you're in a Muslim country you're not going to get any'. 'Yes Islam is the religion of peace, never that mind Muslims are on the rampage in many parts of the world'.

So I hasten to add that mine is not an 'anti-Hinduvta' attitude. If anything my dislike of Muslims fundamentalism is in fact even greater, and my contempt for Muslim politics in India is even deeper.

i can understand why you wont vote for him but why even you needed an apologetic note to justify your decision at the end??

:D

But in the end Modi represents a door I don't want my country to open. But it looks like we're going to open it soon enough.

And your countrymen were saying I was "garden garden" to know your decision of NOT voting for him.

What shortsighted these sentimental posters from India can be.

Unfortunately there are few viable alternatives in Indian politics. National leaders are inane, incompetent, nepotist, spineless. The ones who are good are just not popular enough or have a realistic mass base (Kejriwal). So we have good leaders without mass support, and bad leaders who have a political base. Modi seems to be a 'good' leader with a mass base for many Indians.

When identity politics is the norm in most countries, shunning it by an ostrich like posture will only weaken India. Aggressive alien faiths can only be defeated by strengthening native faiths, not by secularizing the polity.

In face of hostile religions, a secular landscape only makes the nation vulnerable......progressive - materialist paradigm atomizes the citizens and leads to loss of cohesion.

India is under attack both from hostile religions, as well as powerful nations like China....Hindu nationalism provides the best glue for strengthening our society.

rightly mentioned many points. BUT my question remains will these fetch him PMship?

Possibly. My best guess would be to say - wait and see.

I have some (indirect) insight into national level politics. The BJP has appointed him as the PM candidate because of cold electoral calculations. If he fails to deliver, they will get rid of him faster than you can say 'faster'.

i can understand why you wont vote for him but why even you needed an apologetic note to justify your decision at the end??

:D

I implied no apology. Just an attempt to be as detailed in my explanation as I could.

All interesting POVs but we're in danger of getting into a long discussion which I'm not that enthusiastic about, inherently lazy as I am. So I will keep it short.

When identity politics is the norm in most countries, shunning it by an ostrich like posture will only weaken India. Aggressive alien faiths can only be defeated by strengthening native faiths, not by secularizing the polity.

Ok. IMO, politics is the art of the possible. "Aggressive alien faiths' is a dangerous and unpractical road to go down, unless you have a 200-500 year strategy to make us all of a 'native faith', or are prepared for a bloodbath because of resistance from people who do not want to be compressed into one homogenous mass. Give me a practical roadmap. We're discussing politics, practical events, not philosophy.

In face of hostile religions, a secular landscape only makes the nation vulnerable......progressive - materialist paradigm atomizes the citizens and leads to loss of cohesion.

I could argue that the core of Modi's attraction for the Indian middle classes is precisely the materialist paradigm he represents, as much if not more than his 'religious promise'. Otherwise Sadhvi Rithambara would be BJP's PM candidate right now!

People want material progress before anything, so they're ready to accept a lot from someone who seems he can deliver.

India is under attack both from hostile religions, as well as powerful nations like China....Hindu nationalism provides the best glue for strengthening our society.

It's a matter of opinion. I will end by noting that the cry of 'we are under attack' has been deployed many many times in history by those who espouse violent and often discriminatory solutions. 'Islam is in danger' is a often used slogan in many parts of the world, isn't it?

Anyway my last words on the subject, although I'd be happy to read a rebuttal from you.

Here's a one line answer to that..

islamic fundamentalism, extremism and jingoism is on the rise and this jingoism can only be contradicted by rise in nationalism by other religions, buddhists are already doing that in SL. Burma and the East, time we too did it so should the Christian west.

All interesting POVs but we're in danger of getting into a long discussion which I'm not that enthusiastic about, inherently lazy as I am. So I will keep it short.

Ok. IMO, politics is the art of the possible. "Aggressive alien faiths' is a dangerous and unpractical road to go down, unless you have a 200-500 year strategy to make us all of a 'native faith', or are prepared for a bloodbath because of resistance from people who do not want to be compressed into one homogenous mass. Give me a practical roadmap. We're discussing politics, practical events, not philosophy.

I could argue that the core of Modi's attraction for the Indian middle classes is precisely the materialist paradigm he represents, as much if not more than his 'religious promise'. Otherwise Sadhvi Rithambara would be BJP's PM candidate right now!

People want material progress before anything, so they're ready to accept a lot from someone who seems he can deliver.

It's a matter of opinion. I will end by noting that the cry of 'we are under attack' has been deployed many many times in history by those who espouse violent and often discriminatory solutions. 'Islam is in danger' is a often used slogan in many parts of the world, isn't it?

Anyway my last words on the subject, although I'd be happy to read a rebuttal from you.

Yes I realize that danger. A public forum is perhaps not an adequate platform for serious discussions.

I know 200 years feels awfully long for a young person, but its the blink of an eye for an old nation. Western countries have different time standards. Old countries like India, and China must plan for Civilizational stability rather than growth.

Modi has to use the materialist paradigm for capturing power because that is all deracinated voters bother for. But then, BJP will have to use its time in power for "other" long term goals, which will be a real test of statesmanship.

I dint ask your opinion. he may have a different reason

Nothing to happy about it :) as a rival I would like to see Bal Thackray if alive should have been Indian PM

There are many rather majority Indians on forum who believe that the above points can be easily ignored because they claim that Modi will develop India beyond imagination also Modi will have a tough foreign policy.

Whats your take on it?

and I would like to see you as the PM of Pakistan :D

With all (actually I have none) due respect to Pakistanis, you views on our political leaders matter less than a random fish in the aartic ocean. You would be the last country whose opinion we would take regarding our political parties. So pakistanis like op need to get a life and stay away from our country's affairs.

islamic fundamentalism, extremism and jingoism is on the rise and this jingoism can only be contradicted by rise in nationalism by other religions, buddhists are already doing that in SL. Burma and the East, time we too did it so should the Christian west.

I think we should fight extremism with passion, and give no quarter.

But if you want to fight the enemy by becoming a replica, you've lost the battle. Allow more Hindu fundamentalism and - politics being what it is- the respected and erudite Hindu scholars will not become our national leaders. No, you'll see the rise of religious trash (like in Pakistan), third rate local sadhus who have no leadership to offer. Some of them are trying to ban Valentine's Day in the guise of culture. Next they will tell you your women cannot wear jeans or trousers. Then, women should not work. Etc, etc.

And my experiences in the West suggest that they are getting more cautious, more prone to suspicion, but not more fundamentalist, extremist or jingoist than they were before. There is a huge difference.

I agree up to the level that Islamic fundamentalism must be opposed and defeated but not with any different kind of religious extremism but nationalism and secularism, religious responses should be limited to spiritual level.

Whether its a "Lotus bloom" or, a "hand job " will be determined by how many from younger generation decide to move their @$$ and actually vote..

A nation of 120 crores and the largest party does not even get 12 crore votes.. what a shame..

I think we should fight extremism with passion, and give no quarter.

But if you want to fight the enemy by becoming a replica, you've lost the battle. Allow more Hindu fundamentalism and - politics being what it is- the respected and erudite Hindu scholars will not become our national leaders. No, you'll see the rise of religious trash (like in Pakistan), third rate local sadhus who have no leadership to offer. Some of them are trying to ban Valentine's Day in the guise of culture. Next they will tell you your women cannot wear jeans or trousers. Then, women should not work. Etc, etc.

And my experiences in the West suggest that they are getting more cautious, more prone to suspicion, but not more fundamentalist, extremist or jingoist than they were before. There is a huge difference.

I agree up to the level that Islamic fundamentalism must be opposite and defeated but not with any different kind of religious extremism but nationalism and secularism, religious responses should be limited to spiritual level.

What I see here is a logical fear against what Hindu nationalism would bring along with it. But what also one can witness is Hinduism has evolved and will keep evolving and adopting. The bigger danger in the room is that of Islamic fanatics not the danger of a band of people running around closing down greeting card shops selling valentine's cards (there is some logic in there too - as in trying to stop invasion from foreign culture).

Hmmm, somebody seems to have exercised the authority to declare Modi ineligible as for secularism. I wonder who gave him the Certificate (of Not being secular)? :crazy:

Alliance with Chandrababu Naidu and Jayalalitha is surely on..he will require couple more partners is South India

BJP is also talking with Vijaykanth imo. I dont see much hope though. May be a post-poll alliance could be announced.

One think noteworthy is that in 50 assembly seats BJP had come 3rd.. So, a pre-poll alliance / tacit understanding might just work out well... After all every major TN party has worked with BJP at some time or, other.

BJP is $crewed in Telangana. In Seemandhra, its alliance with TDP may get some seats. Post-poll alliance with Jagan Mohan is possible.

Back
Top Bottom