What's new

Indian Railways gets internet in trains

SajeevJino

Reaction score
Country
India
train-2-big-jpg.jpg

Surfing the internet in trains without using data card seems to be a distinct possibility now as the Railways have got the much-awaited clearance from space agency ISRO for using the satellite for the purpose.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has given the clearance for using the frequency from KU band for using the satellite for internet, said a senior Railway Ministry official, adding it will be for the first time that internet will be operational in moving trains through satellite.

Though Railways had proposed two years back to provide internet in trains, the project could not take off due to the absence of ISRO clearance.

"ISRO's clearance for using frequency from satellite for internet is mandatory. Now that we have got the clearance, work on the project will commence soon," said the official.

As per the proposal, three rakes of Howrah Rajdhani will be uplinked with satellite for facilitating internet in coaches on a pilot basis.

Since it is a pilot project the internet service will not be charged from the passengers, said the official.

Railways have sanctioned Rs 6.30 crore for providing internet facility in Howrah Rajdhani. The work will be executed by a Mumbai-based company.

Now custom-made antenna will be installed on the locomotives of the train and coaches will be linked through Wi-Fi connectivity
, he said.

According to the procedure to be followed, passenger will get a password in his mobile phoneafter dialling a number given by the TTE. The passenger can make the internet operational with the use of the password.

If the pilot project becomes successful then other trains will also be linked with satellite for internet purpose.

Tech News - Indian Railways gets ISRO nod to use its satellite for internet in trains | Techgig

nice!!!:)

would love that , there are so many places between cities where my reliance dongle cant access the net.

This is all fine ....but really what matters is being ignored ....i am talking of overflowing dustbins ....chocked sinks(that too in second ac) dirty platforms..improvements here will go a long way in improving passenger comfort.I still remember an incident ..i had some Americans as co passengers from Banglore to Ahmedabad....they way she refused to get out of the door because the dustbin next to it was overflowing and blocking the door.She was actually crying ..as if she regretted coming here. The stinking platform was of no help either.That made me sad.
IS it so difficult to clear dustbins 4 times a day ? is it so difficult to keep platform clean?
I wont mind a hike in fares if it means better services,but these politicians in name of the "common man "oppose any hikes,when maybe that is exactly what the railways needs to serve the common man better .

The hell with internet. It comes secondary or even last in priority list.

First Indian railways should try safe, clean and secure journey and increase the speed of railways.

Our railway needs minister with a vision.Though it's very welcome move on the part of railways to provide wi-fi but what about maintaining properly the already existing systems.Our fundamental need is laying of new tracks since existing tracks are already saturated 97-98% with trains.I admit hygiene is the problem which can't be faced by railway department only ,habit and mindset of people boarding the trains should also change.Average speed of trains has not improved much over many decades .Platforms doesn't have facility to cater to the need of ever growing population. Railway is actually grappling with multi pronged problems.

So my point is Railway should first work on fulfilling basic need rather wasting our tax money on some kind of new concept assuming it will soon need bail out from GOI.

common man just increase lines and new vegans, just keep dustbins on stations. why to give money in technologies only.

The lines, new wagons and dustbin already got thr share of funds. This is separate deal. and In today's world. Internet connectivity os very much needed.

For example - My company give fare of A.c 3 tire boggie when i travel on official trips. so 2ce a month i travel for like 8 - 12 hour every time. Not having internet connectivity stops my work completely. It will be great if one can have continuous access of internet.

Good step :enjoy:

May be a new way to generate more funds for railways and the move will be popular in long distance trains.

Yes it will definitely be popular for sleeper and AC trains, nowadays everybody has a smartphone, so its a useful thing.

But priorities should be right, first basic of life and then luxuries.

The lines, new wagons and dustbin already got thr share of funds. This is separate deal. and In today's world. Internet connectivity os very much needed.

For example - My company give fare of A.c 3 tire boggie when i travel on official trips. so 2ce a month i travel for like 8 - 12 hour every time. Not having internet connectivity stops my work completely. It will be great if one can have continuous access of internet.

Good step :enjoy:

I have a better idea. Take this sum allocated for WiFi and build new tracks, improve the signal system etc and reduce the commute time by half.

Mamta have sacked the Dinesh Trevedi the man with vision now Railway just do tamasha :tdown:

With fast growing economy and demand Indian railways can become best in the world and people can get comfertable service but the leaders like Mamta messed all up :tdown:

I have a better idea. Take this sum allocated for WiFi and build new tracks, improve the signal system etc and reduce the commute time by half.

This will be a good step. but cost of installing an antenna on train which will give wi fi access inside train will be very very less thn making new track, planing new cell cite unit on track to improve the signals.

Cost of an antenna over train << cost of mordern track + cell site unit on tracts to improve signals + high speed locomotive.
also maintenance will be cheaper.

Also time used to install wifi on most of the trains will be less thn construction of a single cell site unit.

If it is intended for more fund raising then nothing bad in that.

The hell with internet. It comes secondary or even last in priority list.

First Indian railways should try safe, clean and secure journey and increase the speed of railways.

It's Best safe and Secure compared to all other Transport Services...

Back
Top Bottom