What's new

Indian saris & dresses flood Narail markets

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Soft power ? Serials = Sarees , dresses - Business ?

Indian saris and dresses flood Narail markets - Craze for items named on Indian TV serials, movies and actresses
Indian saris and dresses have flooded the markets in three upazilas of the bordering district ahead of the Eid-ul-Fitr as the items named after Indian television serials, movies and actresses, are immensely popular, especially among local women and children.

kXs67kv.jpg

While visiting different shops and markets in the district on Sunday, this correspondent saw most shopkeepers selling Indian saris, girls’ three-pieces and children’s dresses.

Saris called Prianka, Kareena, Masakkali, Rashi, three-pieces called Jhilik and Fulki, long kamij Lehenga and children’s dresses ‘Doremon’, ‘Batman’, and ‘Superman’ are among the most popular items.

Many people, especially women, girls and children of the middle and upper middle classes spend a lot of time seeing Indian television serials and movies and from there they develop a fondness for the dresses, said several salesmen and shop owners.

Women and young girls are seen thronging popular business centres like Altaf Plaza, Pouro Super Market-1, Suvechchha, Achol and Pourosava Super Market-2 for saris and three-pieces for women.

“My daughter wants to buy three-piece ‘Jhilik’ after seeing the Indian TV channel ‘Star Jalsa’,” said Suriaya Begum, who came from Mohiskhola village under Narail municipality.

“On the occasion of the Eid, I will take an Indian Kareena sari, named after Kareena, a popular actress of Bollywood,” said housewife Ishrat Jesmin.

A small boy named Raju said he has come to get a dress called Doremon.

Named after a popular Indian television cartoon programme, the dress is now very popular among the local children.

Popular Indian clothes are selling for prices ranging from Tk 2000 to Tk 20,000. Besides, Indian ornaments and cosmetics have already flooded the shops and shopping malls in Narail.

The sellers at different markets seem happy as huge sale of Indian dresses and clothes is adding to their profit which is likely to rise further during the next several days before the Eid.

Wow even a tiny town Narail has so much buying power!!!!

Great going Bangladesh.. people are now enjoying products from different part of the world...

I hope a lot of job will be created in India too... win win for both.

I have a friend whose daughter doing dieting at the age of 12, doing facial etc and now wants to buy Jhilik...

Strange!!! and there are no dearth of screwed up idiots in this God's world.

First the topi, now saris, lungi is next I guess!

while west outsource their garments to us and we are outsourcing our garments to India.

its just natural order of things...

I have no complaints.

I thought sarees losing popularity in BD.

Cultural invasion... :p

Kidding ... BD brothers are culturally Indian.. we look, eat, talk and dress alike. Lungi is popular in Bihar (Tamilnadu/kerla too wear lungi but white color)...

Our similarity was hated by Arab wanabee and they tried to impose alien culture on Bengali... Result we know...

And people say our Saas-Bahu serials are stupid. These serials are financed by Ministry of finance, External affairs & cultural.

Saree had always been a common and popular dress in this region for centuries. Its not about cultural invasion but an economical one,when smuggled garment products worth billions of dollars are flooding BD markets.

Back
Top Bottom