What's new

Indian sect members vow to marry sex workers

Black Stone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Indian sect members vow to marry sex workers

More than 1,000 followers of a multi-religious sect in northern India have pledged to marry female sex workers who want to escape exploitation.

Young Hindu, Muslim and Sikh men have been queuing up at the Dera Sacha Sauda (Abode of the Real Deal) in the town of Sirsa as "wedding volunteers".

They say they are doing so to stop the women from being exploited in brothels.

They also claim that their move is part of a campaign to stop the spread of the HIV/Aids virus.

The Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) is one of many religious sects operating in northern India.

Most take root by offering community services, social welfare and spiritual leadership but over time, as their followings grow, they often seek political influence.

Correspondents say that in religious terms, the DSS is hard to classify. Many experts argue that it is not, as some have said, an offshoot of Sikhism.

More than 1,200 DSS members have signed pledges to marry the sex workers following a call from DSS chief Ram Rahim Singh a little over a month ago.

Mr Singh commands a huge following of predominantly lower caste Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs across the states of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.

Two years ago his growing influence brought the DSS chief into confrontation with the mainstream Sikh clergy who claimed he had tried to imitate their beliefs.

The sectarian violence that ensued across Punjab - as well as subsequent rape and murder charges brought against Ram Rahim Singh - have cast a shadow on the affairs and functioning of the DSS ever since, observers say.

But the group's supporters believe the new campaign is to halt the spread of HIV by offering respectable options to sex workers and is part of a long list of related initiatives against drug abuse and female foeticide.

"By helping drug users and sex workers we are trying to help remove people from the highest risk situations," said Dr Aditya Insan, a senior DSS functionary.

'Delicately handled'

He estimates that 40%-50% of women working in red light districts in cities like Mumbai (Bombay) and Delhi are HIV carriers.

Mr Singh (known as Guru-ji to his supporters) proclaimed at a congregation last month that "all women forced to live as prostitutes are my daughters".

His remarks brought forth a virtual flood of eager young volunteers from his flock.

Business graduate Ashish Sachdeva, 22, is in the garments trade in the town of Sirsa. He believes that marrying a sex worker could be his chance to repay his debt to humanity and society.

"I am very well settled and it will be the greatest honour for me to respond to Guru-ji's call."

Nearly 100 young sex workers have contacted the DSS - from Calcutta's Shonagachi red light district to brothels in Delhi and Mumbai.

"This will have to be a slow and delicately handled process," Dr Insan said.

"Many women are HIV-positive. Some have young children and are understandably concerned about their future. We need to ensure these women are protected legally once they are married."

A colleague passed this news to me, it is interesting. What is the view of this from Indian members and others?. This is very interesting and it shows the power of religion.

The idea sounds good on paper. Lets see hoe many actually marry sex workers. It would be interesting to see if he can actually get his followers to marry them.

I see it more as a publicity stunt by DSS's so called Guruji. After the negative publicity and bad press of recent years he's trying to clean his image in front of people.

In the past he's been accused of the following amongst other things-
Molesting/raping young women in the name of cleansing them
Engineering the killing of a Punjab Kesari journalist who was trying to expose his misdoings.

CBI is currently investigating him as well.

I think this is a right thing to do.

They will most likely contract STDs themselves... Its one of those stupid saintly things that is almost never practical.

Rather appreciating this effort people have started making assumptions about spread of HIV. HIV is less evil then those who kill mercilessly.

HIV Test can be performed in India anywhere and is very cheap.
Furthermore a guy who really wants to help these girls can get this test done before or after marriage with +6 months of abstinence and repeated test within that period of time. Its all about commitment to uplift not disease.

There are many cases when religious organizations and police had helped these girls; those who really wants to quite this profession. There are 100s of NGOs supporting and helping these sex worker restlessly to make them more aware and risk conscious.

Rather appreciating this effort people have started making assumptions about spread of HIV. HIV is less evil then those who kill mercilessly.

Furthermore a guy who really wants to help these girls can get this test done before or after marriage with +6 months of abstinence and repeated test within that period of time. Its all about commitment to uplift not disease.

There are many cases when religious organizations and police had helped these girls; those who really wants to quite this profession. There are 100s of NGOs supporting and helping these sex worker restlessly to make them more aware and risk conscious.

No body is saying anything out of proportion. Indeed its a good step to own those who are socially isolated in societies like ours.

All we are saying that the claim by this organisation that its members are willing to marry HIV women patients to stop the spread of AIDS then its not possible.

Besides RobbieS has posted some information about the head of the organisation which does cast a doubt over the intentions

How about offering them jobs? Pesay nahi kharch karne...

Yes jobs pluse more awareness programes to educate people about accepting the AIDs patients. As in societies like ours an HIV patient is considred a taboo without realising that there are many other reasons for the disease not only sex.

No body is saying anything out of proportion. Indeed its a good step to own those who are socially isolated in societies like ours.

Besides RobbieS has posted some information about the head of the organisation which does cast a doubt over the intentions

Yes even i am not sure about the credibility of that guru. That is why i refferd to work of many NGOs.
My above input was very clinical. A hypocrite and lying women or men is more dangerous then a prostetute.

@Asim Aquil
There is no magical pill for all the pains and 'bimaries'. Talking about providing jobs seems very inviting but can not be done. A mature person knows her rights and efficiency to generate opportunity for them self. No one is stopping anyone in India to quench appropriate opportunity. We don't know why such and such person has chosen this profession. It a very complex issue and will start from blaming govt not providing basic education. But the question is: Is prostitution always forced upon these girls? Countries like Australia and USA have legal brothels and are earning great revenues where highly educated girls are working. So making relations with poverty less jobs etc to prostitution is not completely justified.

Few days back SC of India has asked GoI to think on Legalization of prostitution. I think its a bold but good effort by Sc and will help this community to be more coherent with the society without the feeling of being branded criminals and thus will make them more aware about these risks and rights.

I think its a very honorable concept....but one has to understand that these women are prostitutes not because their career counseller at school told them that it would be the best profession for them....the root cause is poverty!!!

As someone pointed out, creating jobs is the best way to pull these women out of prostitution.....I think a combination of education and employment...
Marrying these women is more of a "confidence building measure"....so these women can hope for a better life....
My advice to people actually marrying these women is....double wrap it!!!

This dera sucha soda's days are numbered. He raped women, molested kids and looted shradhaloos in his dera. This is just a publicity stunt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom