What's new

India's First Scorpène-Class Diesel-Electric Attack Submarine INS Kalvari Rolled Out!

@anant_s But our DM conformed it. He said from here on each submarines will be rolled in time frame of 9 months consistently . And he also said that the induction plans as been revised to avoid any further delay . Infact steps have been taken to decrease the timetime line not only for submarines but also for surface fleet as well .

But am expecting more than this. Am waiting hear about additional follow on for Scorpene and P75I increased to 12 to have credible SSK fleet .
But if you consider that each submarines will be inducted in every 9 months starting from sept 2016, we still will have 4 by 2018. Either new time line will be 6 months( which was reported in past as far as I remember once) or last will be inducted only in 2020.

@anant_s But our DM conformed it. He said from here on each submarines will be rolled in time frame of 9 months consistently . And he also said that the induction plans as been revised to avoid any further delay . Infact steps have been taken to decrease the timetime line not only for submarines but also for surface fleet as well .
I'm not denying that, infact it is a welcome news and logically speaking usually the first piece takes the most time, the time of rolling out subsequent items takes progressively lesser time. My point is we donot know what led to this close to 3 year delay (was it delay attributable to DCNS or Indian side? What (if) there were any issues with setting up of facilities for manufacturing etc). DM in his capacity obviously has taken those things in cognizance (therefore the statement) and lets hope they accelerate the delivery speed and actually finish by 2018-19.
@Capt.Popeye We heard that last two boats of this project are supposed to have Indian built AIP system. Do you have any information on same in terms of its readiness. Guess any delays in that might affect the whole time schedule.

Why this kalvari di?
:p:

CB5ByFOUgAA7SAs.jpg

CB5BDETVIAApdup.jpg

CB4tnEPUgAAeLOq.jpg

CB4r9dRUAAAFoIT.jpg

I'm not denying that, infact it is a welcome news and logically speaking usually the first piece takes the most time, the time of rolling out subsequent items takes progressively lesser time. My point is we donot know what led to this close to 3 year delay (was it delay attributable to DCNS or Indian side? What (if) there were any issues with setting up of facilities for manufacturing etc). DM in his capacity obviously has taken those things in cognizance (therefore the statement) and lets hope they accelerate the delivery speed and actually finish by 2018-19.
@Capt.Popeye We heard that last two boats of this project are supposed to have Indian built AIP system. Do you have any information on same in terms of its readiness. Guess any delays in that might affect the whole time schedule.

:p:

As far as I know the delay was due to lack of interest in defence projects by UPA , so the the person working on projects was not upto to the expectation( ship yards officials at that time ) and Manohar also said the delay was due to the problems faced by imported machines.
Looks like the core issue for the delay has been understood hence after that thanks to regular inspection/ monitoring by PMO and MoD , the officers of the shipyards , Project management , babus in DM started to work . He said :)

Mouth Watering :D . And to my surprise Scorpenes are not too large . Hmm . Hope we get hold of Soryu for P75I some how. Or at least but directly from Japan. ;)

Nice sub ... weird paint job !!!

Dimensions ?

Way better than A10 painting of US .

This is a Scorpene sub, bro.Latest gen French design with AIP .

Scorpène-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General characteristics
Class and type: Scorpène class
Type: submarine
Displacement: 1,565 tonnes (1,725 short tons) (CM-2000)
1,870 tonnes (2,060 short tons) (AM-2000)
2,000 tonnes (2,200 short tons) (S-BR)[1]
Length: 61.7 m (202 ft) (CM-2000)
70 m (230 ft) (AM-2000)
75 metres (246 ft) (S-BR)[1]
Beam: 6.2 m (20 ft)
Draught: 5.4 m (18 ft)
Draft: 5.8 m (19 ft)
Propulsion: Diesel-electric, batteries, and AIP
Speed: 20 knots (37 km/h) (submerged)
12 kn (22 km/h) (surfaced)
Range: 6,500 nmi (12,000 km) at 8 knots (surfaced)
550 nmi (1,020 km) at 5 knots (submerged)
Endurance: 40 days (compact)
50 days (normal)
50+21 days (AIP)
Test depth: >350 metres (1,150 ft) [2]
Complement: 31
Armament: 6 x 533-mm torpedo tubes for 18Whitehead Alenia Sistemi SubacqueiBlack Shark heavyweight torpedoes or SM.39 Exocet antiship missiles, 30 mines in place of torpedoes

Equipments , sensors ,electronic and also AIP will change accoridng to our requirements.
Last two will have our own indigenous AIP.

As far as I know the delay was due to lack of interest in defence projects by UPA , so the the person working on projects was not upto to the expectation( ship yards officials at that time ) and Manohar also said the delay was due to the problems faced by imported machines.
Looks like the core issue for the delay has been understood hence after that thanks to regular inspection/ monitoring by PMO and MoD , the officers of the shipyards , Project management , babus in DM started to work . He said :)

Mouth Watering :D . And to my surprise Scorpenes are not too large . Hmm . Hope we get hold of Soryu for P75I some how. Or at least but directly from Japan. ;)

Smaller subs are better suited for shallow coastal waters.

No, but is given ram coating for decreased RCS.

Any source for claim?

Way better than A10 painting of US .

This is a Scorpene sub, bro.Latest gen French design with AIP .

Scorpène-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General characteristics
Class and type: Scorpène class
Type: submarine
Displacement: 1,565 tonnes (1,725 short tons) (CM-2000)
1,870 tonnes (2,060 short tons) (AM-2000)
2,000 tonnes (2,200 short tons) (S-BR)[1]
Length: 61.7 m (202 ft) (CM-2000)
70 m (230 ft) (AM-2000)
75 metres (246 ft) (S-BR)[1]
Beam: 6.2 m (20 ft)
Draught: 5.4 m (18 ft)
Draft: 5.8 m (19 ft)
Propulsion: Diesel-electric, batteries, and AIP
Speed: 20 knots (37 km/h) (submerged)
12 kn (22 km/h) (surfaced)
Range: 6,500 nmi (12,000 km) at 8 knots (surfaced)
550 nmi (1,020 km) at 5 knots (submerged)
Endurance: 40 days (compact)
50 days (normal)
50+21 days (AIP)
Test depth: >350 metres (1,150 ft) [2]
Complement: 31
Armament: 6 x 533-mm torpedo tubes for 18Whitehead Alenia Sistemi SubacqueiBlack Shark heavyweight torpedoes or SM.39 Exocet antiship missiles, 30 mines in place of torpedoes

Equipments , sensors ,electronic and also AIP will change accoridng to our requirements.
Last two will have our own indigenous AIP.

Very close to Iranian Besat class sub under development :

13930917000672_PhotoL.jpg

NHzkJCV.jpg

Why Scorpenes are most feared submarines in the world !!! Few points to keep in our mind :)
  • Weapon System : -- The Scorpene attack submarine can carry 18 torpedoes and missiles or 30 mines. It is equipped with six bow-located 21in torpedo tubes providing salvo launch capability. Positive discharge launching is by an air turbine pump."Handling and loading of weapons is automated."
The submarine's weapons include anti-ship and anti-submarine torpedoes and anti-surface missiles. The handling and loading of weapons is automated.The six torpedo tubes are capable of firing SM-39 Exocet anti-ship missiles, which have a range of 50km, but they are not initially carried. At the same time, India also placed an order for 36 MBDA SM-39 Exocet anti-ship missiles to arm the submarines and most probably Heavyweight Black Shark torpedoes will be used.
  • When dived the Scorpene has low radiated noise which permits improved detection ranges of its own sensors and reduced risk of detection by hostile sensors. The low radiated noise is achieved through the use of advanced hydrodynamics with an albacore bow shape, with fewer appendages and an optimised propeller.

• Advanced SSN stealth technology : Between the suspended decks, the equipment is mounted on elastic mountings wherever possible, and the noisiest systems have a double-elastic mounting to reduce the risk of their noise profiles being radiated outside the submarine. The shock-resistant systems have been developed from systems incorporated in advanced nuclear-powered submarine designs.

• All living and operational areas are air-conditioned. The submarine also has space for six additional fold-down bunks for special operations crew."The ship can hold a total company of 31 men with a standard watch team of 9.
  • Stealth design :- The planning and design of the Scorpene was directed towards achieving an extremely quiet vessel with a great detection capability and offensive power.
  • The Scorpene has two diesel generation sets providing 1,250kW of power. At the top of the hull immediately above the diesel generator sets is a Dutch Breach machinery shipping hatch. The submarine has an elastically supported 2,900kW electronic engine.
  • ....... BRING IT ON !

Back
Top Bottom