What's new

India's Forex Reserves Fall As Foreign Investors Head For The Exits

Pakistan has been on risk of a default for 75 year so no big deal. Remember South Korea almost defaulted a few years ago so never say never. Indian financial statistics especially under Modi cannot be relied upon. Does the Indian presidential palace have a swimming pool?
If you don't trust indian government financial stats then you should simply check out IMF data , that will be enough to shut your mouth. Two surveys have been shared on this thread regarding countries most likely to defeault on their debt. Pakistan beats indians by a wide margin in that. India has far more resources than Pakistan. The Resource to Population Ratio for India is 0.19 which is very low compared to say US (1.37) or China (0.43) but is still much much higher than Pakistan which has 0.037. This means India has a 400% better chance to pay off its debts and service its debts than Pakistan does.

Last edited:
I hear first hand accounts that people have widely stopped buying edible oil in Kolkata and boiling vegetables to eat.

The only person getting rich in this scenario is Adani with his edible oil empire.

As usual "new" Indians here in PDF will clap and encourage people like Adanis/Ambanis to exploit poor Indians and supply more money to support Banya-friend Modi.

Guess how India got the "khetab" of having more hunger than sub-saharan Africa.

Will be true once more.

Bunch of d*mbf*cks.
@Joe Shearer , Sir though you live in Hyderabad, you must be knowing ground realities in Kolkata. What do you think about this
I hear first hand accounts that people have widely stopped buying edible oil in Kolkata and boiling vegetables to eat.

@Bilal9 Prices of edible oil in BD vs West Bengal
Musturd Oil in BD - around 250 inr, West Bengal - around 170 Inr
Sunflower Oil in BD - around 250 inr, West Bengal - around 200 Inr
Soyaben Oil in BD - around 140 inr, West Bengal - around 160 Inr
Rice Bran Oil in BD - around 160 inr, West Bengal - around 150 Inr

Last edited:
If you don't trust indian government financial stats then you should simply check out IMF data , that will be enough to shut your mouth. Two surveys have been shared on this thread regarding countries most likely to defeault on their debt. Pakistan beats indians by a wide margin in that. India has far more resources than Pakistan. The Resource to Population Ratio for India is 0.19 which is very low compared to say US (1.37) or China (0.43) but is still much much higher than Pakistan which has 0.037. This means India has a 400% better chance to pay off its debts and service its debts than Pakistan does.
IMF gets its data from GOI. IMF does not collect source data.

@Joe Shearer , Sir though you live in Hyderabad, you must be knowing ground realities in Kolkata. What do you think about this

Things are bad, all over India. I have heard about difficulties in Calcutta, but a peculiar feature of Calcutta/Bengali cuisine is that most of it is done in Shorsher Tel, a very little is done in Shaada Tel. I don't know exact prices, but can find out once it is daytime here.

I do know that I was used to buying cooking oil (other than Olive Oil - I don't use Extra Virgin, as it is no good for cooking, only for salads, nor do I use the toxic Pomace, so this is about 'Extra Light'), at less than Rs. 100.00 a litre, only two years ago. Today, given that I have shifted away from least cost purchase to cold-pressed oils, the prices are twice, two and a half times, even three times higher. We have been hit very hard by inflation, there is no doubt about that.

Here are current prices of the oils I use and buy from BigBasket (they don't sell in Kolkata, so I can't give you authentic prices from Kolkata): (all prices per litre):

Gingelly/sesame/til oil: (in packs, not bottles): 310/315/320 (different brands)
in bottles of 500 ml: 184/195/200 (different brands)
[I personally buy cold-pressed oil from Amazon, @ 365/litre - horribly expensive]

Peanut/groundnut: (in packs, not bottles): 187/190 (different brands)
Bottles of 1 litre: 255/litre
[Cold-pressed 1 litre bottles from Amazon - 320/litre]

Mustard oil: (in packs, not bottles): 195
in bottles of 1 ltr: 190/218 (different brands)
[I buy kachi ghani, so about the same rate, not a premium rate as for others for cold-pressed oil]

These are all prices at which I have been buying, and can be checked on BigBasket or on Amazon Fresh.

About the rest, my views are well-known, and I do not feel the need to repeat them; these are views specific to the current central government, and its administrative ability. However, although I think @Bilal9 put matters very rudely, his post made me go off into splits of laughter. I hope that gives you, and others, a clue.

These Indians have been deliberately avoiding talking about the biggest danger to the Indian economy. That is, foreign exchange reserves are too low.

At the end of 2021, India's foreign exchange reserves were $569.8 billion. India's external debt exceeded $620 billion. Of course, most of the external debt does not need to be repaid immediately, of which India's recent external debt needs to be repaid is $155.8 billion.

But the biggest danger comes from the widening trade deficit, which has reached $126.7 billion in the first six months of this year. If India continues to maintain such a huge deficit, India's foreign exchange reserves will be exhausted in two years.

To make matters worse, the Indian govt is not only unable to weaken the trade deficit, but even the exchange rate of the Indian Rupee continues to depreciate, which will lead to the continued expansion of India's trade deficit. The Indian govt also needs to spend a lot of foreign exchange to save the exchange rate.

The biggest financial risk in India comes from hedge funds on Wall Street. Once the Indian govt's foreign exchange reserves continue to decrease and the Indian govt does not have enough foreign exchange protection exchange rate, hedge funds will short the Indian rupee and harvest the wealth accumulated by the Indian population over the past decade. Just like hedge funds harvested Southeast Asia in 1997.

India's foreign Reserves ARE JUST FINE !! Let's just took at the pathetic foreign reserves of Pakistan - the country is about to default.

$4.5b bailout for #Bangladesh: #IMF team to arrive tomorrow amid global #commodity price #inflation. If everything proceeds smoothly, the loan deal could be finalized by October this year

A delegation from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is set to arrive in Dhaka tomorrow on a nine-day trip to discuss the government's request for a $4.5 billion loan in the form of budgetary support.

Rahul Anand, division chief in the IMF's Asia and Pacific Department, will lead the team during talks with the senior officials of the finance ministry, the central bank, the National Board of Revenue and the Economic Relations Division.

If everything proceeds smoothly, the loan deal could be finalised by October this year, said an official of the finance ministry yesterday.

The request for budgetary support comes to shore up the precarious foreign currency reserves, which yesterday stood at $39.8 billion -- the lowest since October 14, 2020.

This is enough to cover about five months' import bills.

Typically, the World Bank and the IMF prescribe an import cover of three months, but in times of economic uncertainty, they advise keeping sufficient reserves to meet 8-9 months' imports.

Going forward, even though imports are slowly contracting, the elevated inflation levels around the world mean the odds of a slowdown in both remittance inflows and export orders, two sources of foreign currency for Bangladesh, are high.

The IMF officials will look into the impacts of the Russia-Ukraine war and escalated global commodity prices on the Bangladesh economy, the status of recovery from the global coronavirus pandemic and the government's large subsidy programme.

They will see whether the subsidy spending is justified and compare it with the other countries. If it is deemed excessive, the IMF mission may suggest ways to trim it.

Subsidy spending in the just-concluded fiscal year is Tk 66,825 crore, 24.1 percent more than the original allocation thanks to the spiral in fuel and fertiliser prices in the global market.

In this fiscal year's budget, Tk 82,745 crore has been earmarked for subsidy.

But considering the price trend of oil, gas, and fertiliser in the international market, the estimated spending can be 15-20 per cent higher than the initial estimates, said Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal in his budget speech in June.

The Washington-based multilateral lender could tie in conditions for the loan package.

The conditions could include measures to increase revenue, lower subsidy expenditure, market-based exchange rate and lending rate, and reforms in the banking sector and tax administration, the finance ministry official said.

The government has already moved to tighten its belts though.

It has unveiled a relatively smaller budget for the current fiscal year, put on hold low-priority projects, suspended foreign tours of government officials, adjusted the prices of gas and diesel to some extent, and loosened the exchange rate policy.

The government has also signalled that it may raise the price of fuel oil and has proposed to the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission to increase the electricity tariff to cut the subsidy burden.

Surjit Bhalla, executive director of the IMF for India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka, who represented Bangladesh on the board of the Washington-based lender, is also set to visit Bangladesh separately.

Things are bad, all over India. I have heard about difficulties in Calcutta, but a peculiar feature of Calcutta/Bengali cuisine is that most of it is done in Shorsher Tel, a very little is done in Shaada Tel. I don't know exact prices, but can find out once it is daytime here.

I do know that I was used to buying cooking oil (other than Olive Oil - I don't use Extra Virgin, as it is no good for cooking, only for salads, nor do I use the toxic Pomace, so this is about 'Extra Light'), at less than Rs. 100.00 a litre, only two years ago. Today, given that I have shifted away from least cost purchase to cold-pressed oils, the prices are twice, two and a half times, even three times higher. We have been hit very hard by inflation, there is no doubt about that.

Here are current prices of the oils I use and buy from BigBasket (they don't sell in Kolkata, so I can't give you authentic prices from Kolkata): (all prices per litre):

Gingelly/sesame/til oil: (in packs, not bottles): 310/315/320 (different brands)
in bottles of 500 ml: 184/195/200 (different brands)
[I personally buy cold-pressed oil from Amazon, @ 365/litre - horribly expensive]

Peanut/groundnut: (in packs, not bottles): 187/190 (different brands)
Bottles of 1 litre: 255/litre
[Cold-pressed 1 litre bottles from Amazon - 320/litre]

Mustard oil: (in packs, not bottles): 195
in bottles of 1 ltr: 190/218 (different brands)
[I buy kachi ghani, so about the same rate, not a premium rate as for others for cold-pressed oil]

These are all prices at which I have been buying, and can be checked on BigBasket or on Amazon Fresh.

About the rest, my views are well-known, and I do not feel the need to repeat them; these are views specific to the current central government, and its administrative ability. However, although I think @Bilal9 put matters very rudely, his post made me go off into splits of laughter. I hope that gives you, and others, a clue.

Dada shobai amra gyati bhai - dhormo ki karo gaye lekha thakey?

Shobi jani ar bujhi. Notun jamanar notun niyom bahir kortesey amader bhoktora.

Magar ektu yarki-thatta na korley kemney? Bhanu was (and continues to be) my idol.

IMF gets its data from GOI. IMF does not collect source data.
Then Don't trust IMF data for any other nation too. Don't trust BD , Pak or Chinese data for IMF as well. Like you , I may also claim that pakistan is hiding it's internal debt figures and masking the contraction of it's economy from the prying eyes of the media. What you said literally makes no sense at all and if it were to be true then it should be true in all cases for all nations.

By the way , this is how IMF data is gathered - Historical data and projections are based on information gathered by IMF country desk officers in the context of their missions and through their ongoing analysis of the evolving situation in each country; they are updated on a continual basis as more information becomes available. So your assumption is false.

Then Don't trust IMF data for any other nation too. Don't trust BD , Pak or Chinese data for IMF as well. Like you , I may also claim that pakistan is hiding it's internal debt figures and masking the contraction of it's economy from the prying eyes of the media. What you said literally makes no sense at all and if it were to be true then it should be true in all cases for all nations.

By the way , this is how IMF data is gathered - Historical data and projections are based on information gathered by IMF country desk officers in the context of their missions and through their ongoing analysis of the evolving situation in each country; they are updated on a continual basis as more information becomes available. So your assumption is false.
If India replaces its millions of human Rickshaws with motorcycles it will also have a balance of payments issue. The rich get rich in India and the average people get $hit. And stupids like you suck up on the lies and come to a Pakistani forum to convince us about your lies.

@Joe Shearer

Dada,

Things are bad, all over India.

As far as oil prices (edible or otherwise) are concerned, things are bad all over the world. But I think the worst is over and oil prices (of both varieties) will soften. I wont even be surprised if September onwards there is a rout in crude prices.

Regards

Last edited:

Rice Barn Oil in India is Rs. 105 for 1 liter.

Sunflower oil in India is Rs 105per 1 ltr

Soyaben oil in India is Rs. 101 for 1 ltr

Musturd Oil in India is Rs. 101 for 1 ltr.

@Joe Shearer

Dada,

Things are bad, all over India.

As far as oil prices (edible or otherwise) are concerned, things are bad all over the world. But I think the worst is over and oil prices (of both varieties) will soften. I wont even be surprised if September onwards there is a rout in crude prices.

Regards
There is no inflation in China.

I compared the price of edible oil sent by Joe shearer. The price of the same edible oil in China is only 30% of that in India.

IMG_20220713_120216.jpg

Rice Barn Oil in India is Rs. 105 for 1 liter.

Sunflower oil in India is Rs 105per 1 ltr

Soyaben oil in India is Rs. 101 for 1 ltr

Musturd Oil in India is Rs. 101 for 1 ltr.

How do you pack your oil in this bag? PE and PP materials will react with oil at high temperature. This will cause cancer!

Last edited:
@Faxapis

Never heard of Titod before, and must be a very old price point.

@MH.Yang

China maybe an exception.

But the biggest danger comes from the widening trade deficit, which has reached $126.7 billion in the first six months of this year. If India continues to maintain such a huge deficit, India's foreign exchange reserves will be exhausted in two years.

It is no great secret that India's CAD position is intimately linked to energy prices. If crude prices remain greater than USD 100/bbl yeah you are right India will go bust in two years. But I can assure you that in that case almost every other non oil exporting EM will go down a lot before India, including your tallel than mountain, sweetel than honey, deepel than ocean fliend.

Regards

I compared the price of edible oil sent by Joe shearer. The price of the same edible oil in China is only 30% of that in India.

View attachment 861183

How do you pack your oil in this bag? PE and PP materials will react with oil at high temperature. This will cause cancer!

These are disposable plastic pouch and do not cause cancer. No different from the plastic can you have shown.

Once purchased, the oil is transferred into a SS can or glass bottle by the user.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom