What's new

India’s Next Generation Destroyers (NDG) Project waits for Government Clearance : Report

kaykay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Vice Admiral DM Deshpande Controller of Warship Production and Acquisition (CWP&A), Indian Navy has confirmed for the first time that India’s Next Generation Destroyers (NDG) Project, which is still at the infancy stage is waiting for principal approval from the government of India.
Sharing his vision for Next Generation Destroyers (NDG), he said NDG will be of 13000-tonne displacement warship with conventional propulsion and will feature next-generation weapons including laser weapons.
Visakhapatnam class (Project 15B) is India’s latest stealth guided missile destroyers currently being built for the Indian Navy. Visakhapatnam class is improved version of Kolkata-class design having 7400-tonne displacement. lead ship “INS Visakhapatnam ” is scheduled to be ready for Sea Trials in mid of 2018 and its sister ship ” INS Mormugao ” by 2020.
INS Porbandar will be forth and last, of the Visakhapatnam class stealth destroyer, which is expected to be delivered by 2024 leading path to the construction of Next Generation Destroyers (NDG) ships.
In terms of Next, Generation Destroyers Project initiated by China and USA, India’s Next Generation Destroyers (NDG) will be in the same league as of Chinese Type 055 destroyer, which is a 13,000-tonne displacement warship still under construction and Zumwalt-class destroyer, which is a class of United States Navy guided missile destroyers have a displacement of over 14000-tonne.
Type 055 and Zumwalt-class both feature much-advanced stealth design with very low radar cross-section and are often described as multi-mission stealth Destroyers. Both Type 055 and Zumwalt-class have Ballistic missile/air defense capability which might be the reasons why Indian Navy also wants to include such capabilities in its Next Generation Destroyers leading to similar displacement.

https://idrw.org/indias-next-genera...roject-waits-for-government-clearance-report/

Minimum 120+ vls cells should be there.
Planning on capturing UK or something? And what is this BS about laser weapons? We still haven't designed POC of an offensive DEWs. The closest we have to a DEW is a linear partical accelerator. Too bulky and lacks punch. A usable DEW should require a nuke recator powering it.

Planning on capturing UK or something? And what is this BS about laser weapons? We still haven't designed POC of an offensive DEWs. The closest we have to a DEW is a linear partical accelerator. Too bulky and lacks punch. A usable DEW should require a nuke recator powering it.

LASTEC (DRDO lab) has come out with the Aditya GDL (Gas Dynamic Laser) as well as Chemical Oxygen Iodine Lasers (COIL) models.

Aditya%2BBeam%2BDelivery%2BSystem.jpg

Miniaturization of the support infrastructure for these lasers will take time, but work is on. Don't forget we're not talking about building the NGD tomorrow. Most likely this ship won't even begin construction by 2025...entering service maybe around 2030.

Plenty of time to develop highly capable DEWs...not to mention by that time there will most probably be DEWs available for sale on international arms market. So Navy will have choice.

We are not planning to invade UK,but Chinese are definitely planning to invade India. This is for them.

LASTEC (DRDO lab) has come out with the Aditya GDL (Gas Dynamic Laser) as well as Chemical Oxygen Iodine Lasers (COIL) models.

Miniaturization of the support infrastructure for these lasers will take time, but work is on. Don't forget we're not talking about building the NGD tomorrow. Most likely this ship won't even begin construction by 2025...entering service maybe around 2030.

Plenty of time to develop highly capable DEWs...not to mention by that time there will most probably be DEWs available for sale on international arms market. So Navy will have choice.
This isn't look like a bulky item for 13k+ tonnage ship.

I am aware of the system. They also have a APC/LMV mounted model for IED neutralization. But I am not convinced by its offensive capability and I will definitely not place an untested tech for defensive purposes.

And when we scale it up, it will definitely be bulky. At the current power levels it won't be able to deliver enough energy at the target at standoff ranges

Also
DRDO-conceptualised DEW.jpg

I am aware of the system. They also have a APC/LMV mounted model for IED neutralization. But I am not convinced by its offensive capability and I will definitely not place an untested tech for defensive purposes.

And when we scale it up, it will definitely be bulky. At the current power levels it won't be able to deliver enough energy at the target at standoff ranges
Even missiles and nuclear bombs, aircrafts to helicopters were non battle tested once. But they found the light,like that fees will eventually find the way. And who told that IN will field this weapons without any trial. Since dews are still nascent stage it's wise to invest efforts now,or else we will lags behind many like how we are in aviation tech.

Even missiles and nuclear bombs, aircrafts to helicopters were non battle tested once. But they found the light,like that fees will eventually find the way. And who told that IN will field this weapons without any trial. Since dews are still nascent stage it's wise to invest efforts now,or else we will lags behind many like how we are in aviation tech.
I never said don't invest and test. But I am yet to even see the prototypes mounted on warships and tested them out at range.

I never said don't invest and test. But I am yet to even see the prototypes mounted on warships and tested them out at range.
If they can mount on truck,I don't find any difficulty in mounting on that floating behemoth.

Arey bhai...who's saying we're going to use it now???

It will be a decade plus by the time these ships start showing up. By that time we don't know how much LASTEC's designs will change/develop.

Even US is still only putting experimental/tech-demonstrator laser models on their ships.

Back
Top Bottom