What's new

India's Sushil Kumar wins World Wrestling Championship

Ruag

Reaction score
Sushil Kumar wins gold in World Wrestling Championship

NEW DELHI: Olympic bronze medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar created history by winning the maiden gold medal for the country in the World Wrestling Championship in Moscow on Sunday.

Sushil outwitted Russian grappler Gogaev Alan 3-1 to win the final bout of the 66 kg men's freestyle category.

According to international body's website (FILA), Sushil clinched two crucial points in the first period while his opponent only managed one.

Sushil kept the pressure on Russia's Gogaev and picked one more point in the second period to clinch the coveted gold medal.

Sushil was only the second Indian to win an Olympic medal when he grabbed a bronze at Beijing Games in 2008.

After getting a bye in the first round, he beat Akritidis of Greece, Martin Sebastian of Germany and Buyan Jav of Mongolia en route to the final.

All other Indian contenders had crashed out before the finals in the championship.

Earlier, Sushil Kumar made it to the final by defeating Hasanov Jabrayil of Azerbaijan. Sushil won his semifinal bout 4-3.

The Azerbaijani grappler started off well as he notched up the lone point in the first period but Sushil bounced back and levelled the score 1-1 in the second period.

In the third period Sushil dished out an attacking game and clinched three more points as compared to his opponents Hasanov's two to seal the issue in his favour.

Sushil Kumar wins gold in World Wrestling Championship - The Times of India

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From Saina Nehwal (Badminton), to Tejaswini Sawant (Shooting) to now Sushil Kumar. Feels great to see Indians performing so well in sports other than cricket.

I saw this Sikh Punjabi guy in WWE. "The great Khaali" or something he was called...More than 7 foot tall,and copied The undertaker..Is he still there or retired?

I saw this Sikh Punjabi guy in WWE. "The great Khaali" or something he was called...More than 7 foot tall,and copied The undertaker..Is he still there or retired?

who care about that fake sport

Great achievement. This sport has a rich tradition in India and I hope this attracts more people. Gret work Sushil.

Interestingly Sushil and Khali are both vegetarians.

Sushil_Kumar_(wrestler)_300.jpg

From Saina Nehwal (Badminton), to Tejaswini Sawant (Shooting) to now Sushil Kumar. Feels great to see Indians performing so well in sports other than cricket.

Hey don't forget Indian archery men's team also won a gold in the recent world championships.

Last edited:

he is not a sikh.

Great achievement. Hope he gets a medal at olympics this time.

Its much more entertaining than those point based sissy wrestlings ;)

Just like boxing right??

BTW , while Shushil Kumar has made the country proud, another great consistent performer from our North East is all set to bring more glory to the nation....

'Magnificent' Mary Kom in World C'ship quarters

Bridgetown: Indian boxer M C Mary Kom (48kg) continued her march towards a fifth consecutive World Championship title by advancing to the quarterfinals with a thumping win over Australian Jenny Smith here.

Mary Kom dispatched Smith before the end of the first round with the referee stopping the contest when the score was already 9-0 in the Indian's favour.

The mother-of-two from Manipur, who is also a Khel Ratna awardee, will take on Welshwoman Lynsey Holdaway in the last-eight stage on September 15.

The 25-year-old is just one win away from assuring herself of a medal in the sixth edition of the event.

However, there was disappointment for Neetu in the 60kg category as she lost 2-12 to former world champion Katie Taylor of Ireland.

A vicious right hook in the first round could almost have sealed the contest, but Neetu managed to hold out for the full eight minutes

Read more at: 'Magnificent' Mary Kom in World C'ship quarters

M.&

I have seen this guy in Chatrastal stadium in my neighborhood(one of the venues for CWG games),he just came after winning a medal from the Olympics :) but i never realized that he was Sushil Kumar!,God these guys look different in reality.

But yea,he has a rock hard and highly stiff body.

lol
Neither He is Sikh nor he is punjabi. He is hindu(Rajput) and himachali.
BTW that is a fake game and this is real one.
cheers to Sushil kumar.

Well done Sushil Kumar he is peaking at the right moment for the CWG.

Im eagerly waiting for the CWG, Hope we bag as many medals as possible and more than that too....:cheers:

Way to go Shushil. Without govt support and good training centre, many of our sportsmen are doing extremely well. Along with Vijender I wish in both Commonwealth and Olympic they will bring gold medals for the country.

Sushil
Bronze+medalist+Sushil+Kumar.jpg

Sushil-Kumar-wins-gold.jpg

Vijender
23look.jpg

Vijender-Kumar.jpg

sushil-kumar-vijendra-kumar-testing-their-strenght.jpg

:tup:

Khali is way more capable and powerful than the undertaker. He is not a Sikh and from Himachal.

khali-undertaker.jpg

khali-vs-undertaker.gif

rey_mysterio_vs_the_great_khali.jpg

Back
Top Bottom