What's new

Indigenous ROSUB 6000 expedition puts India in elite league

Mauryan

BANNED
Reaction score
Indigenous ROSUB 6000 expedition puts India in elite leagueIndia has joined an elite league of nations like US, Japan and China in deep sea mining with the successful completion of the Remotely Operable Submersible with 6000-m depth capacity vehicle (ROSUB 6000) expedition at the Central Indian Ocean Basin from onboard ocean research vessel Sagar Nidhi on April 17.

The Remotely Operable Vehicle (ROV) also returned with rock nodules of manganese, much to the delight of the scientists working on the project. An Indian flag was also dropped down into the seabed at a depth of 5,289 m, using Sagar Nidhi.

"India has deep sea mining rights in 75,000 sq km of area in the Central Indian, Ocean about 2,500 km from the tip of Kanyakumari.

The ROV reached a depth of 5,289 m below sea at a pressure of 600 times more than the normal atmospheric pressure and successfully completed its expedition," Union Minister of State for Earth Sciences Prithviraj Chavan told reporters at the National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT) at suburban Pallikarani.

ROSUB 6000After preliminary preparations, the expedition left Mangalore on April 1 and reached the polymetallic nodule site in the Central Indian Ocean Basin on April 12.

"The ROV was retrieved after some electrical problems were detected during the first trial on April 14. It was redeployed on April 17 at the same location and reached a depth of 5,289 m," Mr Chavan said.

"India now joins US, Japan and China as some of the few nations in the world to have achieved such a deep sea mapping objective," he added.

Mr Chavan said: "We have to analyse the data collected from this expedition. This is a very futuristic programme and can go a long way in mitigating shortage of natural resources like manganese, cobalt, nickel and natural gases." He said the main objective of the expedition was to map the sea bed through a remote process. "We can now carry out more such expeditions with the help of the reusable ROV."

With deep sea mining being a relatively new area of scientific exploration of resources in the seabed, other countries do not share data or information.

In this context, the Indian expedition was planned and executed indigenously.

"Only the ROV was developed by NIOT in association with Russia's Experimental Design Bureau and Oceanological Engineering (EDBOE).

The research and development based on the success of the ROV expedition can assist in a vast spectrum of activities, including studying climate change and discovering new drugs," the Minister informed.

The NIOT-EDBOE team took four years to evolve the reusable ROV that could penetrate the depths of deep sea and was capable of reaching down to 6,000 m.

The ROV used multi-beam sonar to study the depths of the sea.

"Plants survive under adverse conditions with the help of certain bio-compounds. If we can separate the bio-compounds from deep sea plant life, we can perhaps look out for medicines to cure cancer and diabetes, akin to preparing medicines from snake poison," Secretary in the ministry of Earth Sciences Shailesh Nayak, who was also present, said.

The scientists also conducted an experiment of dropping a paper cup at that depth. Due to the intense pressure of the deep sea, the paper cup was compressed to nearly one-fifth of its original size.

The ongoing deep sea project has been taken up at a cost of Rs 25 to Rs 30 crore.

"However, once we harvest the fruits of our hard work in deep sea mining, the costs will be reduced," Mr Nayak added.
Ron's ROV Links - News

One of the Manganese Nodule thats been recovered

ROSUB-6000 a JV between NIOT(National Institute of Ocean Technology,India) and Experimental Design Bureau of Oceanological Engineering (EDBOE)Russia.

rov02.jpg

Specifications:

Operration depth - 6000 m

Dimensions - 2,53 x 1,8 x 1,5 m

Weight - 3080 kg in air ( - 20 kg in water)

Payload - 150 kg

Propulsion system - 7 electrical thrusters (2 mid-flight, 2 lag, 3 vertical)

Power supply - 6,6 kV (three-phase), 460 Hz

Cameras - 5 pcs.: 2 color, 1 B&W, 2 mini-cams. on manipulators

Manipulators - 2 pcs.: 7 degrees of freedom and maximum payload 150 kg 5 degrees of freedom and maximum payload 450 kg

Lights - 6 lamps (led and halogen)

Speed, up to - 2,5 knots (forth), 2,0 knots (back), 2,0 knots (lag) 1,5 knots (vertical up & down)

Number of channels for data and video transmission - 12 (through 2 single-mode optical fibers)

High-precision navigation system:

* Inertial navigation system

* Hydroacoustic navigation system

* Doppler velocity log

* Depth sensor

* Sound velocity probe

* Multibeam echosounder with forward looking and bottom-looking sonar regimes

Data acquisition and control system

Data acquisition and control system has been built using the Virtual Instrumentation of National Instruments LabVIEW. LabVIEW PXI-8186 RT Controller and Compact Field Point real-time system enable us to build the application in most effective manner. Compact Field Point system is compact, rugged and reliable.

Software
- System consists of 3 industrial computers, PXI controller, TMS controller and ROV controller. They are networked through TCP/IP.

- Entire test results – data, events and errors that will give a detailed description of the current status in the user interface screens and as log files.

- These files are stored at real-time controllers if link is failed, hence there is no data loss.

- Redundant RS-485 serial link establishment if failure in ROV or TMS.

- Selectable video channels from ROV and TMS to view in three plasma screens.

- Redundant control of ROV by Pilot/Co-pilot.

- Interlocks and alarm sound for critical operation.

Last edited:
@Mauryan

Were you a part of the team ? Or were you on board with the team ?

Pictures are good.

What are the further plans ?

:smitten::cheers:

@Mauryan

Were you a part of the team ? Or were you on board with the team ?

Pictures are good.

What are the further plans ?

Fortunately NOT. I have ocean sickness when sailing on surface combatants.Most of the pics are sent by my buddy who is on the team and is posted in their web aswell.

Previously other team struck with hydrates under sea( an alternative to fossil fuels in future).

And the Team that developed this ROV is now developing a manned version that can do till 4000m deep.

I think,its only in the high 2000`s that indians showing more interest towards oceanic research.

I was really impressed with their progress in Reverse Osmosis plant from tidal energy serving a hamlet for now.

Hey,atleast they go their hands on something that can map sea bed eh...... :D

Fortunately NOT. I have ocean sickness when sailing on surface combatants.Most of the pics are sent by my buddy who is on the team and is posted in their web aswell.

Previously other team struck with hydrates under sea( an alternative to fossil fuels in future).

And the Team that developed this ROV is now developing a manned version that can do till 4000m deep.

I think,its only in the high 2000`s that indians showing more interest towards oceanic research.

I was really impressed with their progress in Reverse Osmosis plant from tidal energy serving a hamlet for now.

Hey,atleast they go their hands on something that can map sea bed eh...... :D

I thought it should have been Unfortunately NOT !!!

Yes this group responsible for Gas Hydrate and Submersibles is doing good work. I heard that they have the seafloor based corer in the campus ready for launching.

That would be another feather in the cap.

Reverse osmosis, desalination plants and OTEC are great technologies but was not scaled up due to lack of vision.

Hope someone works in these areas

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom