What's new

IPL shut out of Pakistan cricketers due to BCCI: Lalit Modi

Emmie

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
333045-Modi-1328634929-870-640x480.jpg

Lalit Modi, a former commissioner of the Indian Premier League has revealed that the Board of Control for Cricket India (BCCI), had a role to play in the exclusion of Pakistani cricketers from the private short format cricketing league, Cricinfo.com reported on Tuesday.

The league saw the successful inclusion of Pakistani cricketers in its debut year in 2008. However, following the November 26, 2008 attacks, Pakistani players were almost exclusively shunned from subsequent edition. None of the teams bid for the Pakistani players up for auction in the 2009 tournament held in South Africa.

The BCCI had denied any wrong doing on its part, insisting that teams took individual decisions to not sign Pakistani players. No Pakistani player has featured in the tournament since then.

Modi, in an inteverview to CNN-IBN said that “armtwisting” by the BCCI had led to the shut out of the Pakistani cricketers.

“Arm-twisting happened by senior BCCI officials that nobody should pick them.”

The BCCI has come under scrutiny after one of the biggest sponsors of cricket in India, Sahara, decided to pull its support to Indian cricket this week.

Modi also revealed that the auction of Andrew Flintoff in the 2009 edition too was rigged.

“Yes that is a fact. I made it clear that time. That onus was on me and as chairman I should have not allowed that to happen then,” Modi told CNN-IBN.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/333045/ipl-shut-out-of-pakistan-cricketers-due-to-bcci-lalit-modi/
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/ipl-2012/news/IPL-auction-in-2009-was-rigged-in-favour-of-CSK-claims-Lalit-Modi/articleshow/11794831.cms

The auction for Flintoff was rigged? Shame to have this tarnishing cricket.
I dont want Pakistani cricketers in the IPL - I am a supporter of Pakistani cricket and the results are clear for all to see as regards to non participation in the IPL. Our performances are clearly showing the players are playing out of their skins for their nation. Long may they NOT play in the IPL.
Pakistan cricket is on an extreme high. They have smashed the number 1 team in the world - why let anything hinder this?
Good job BCCI... yes i agree.

Lol.. SOme Pakistanis have still not gotten over the heartburn of Pakistani players not invited to participate in an Indian club cricket event.. C'mon folks, move on... Its just a game..

Yaar bring back pakistani players....it was fun in first IPL...no one ever thought indians will cheer for sohail tanveer....:woot:

REFORMED GREEN SHIRTS:

Aussies-CHECK!
British-Whitewashd-CHECK!

Blue shirts:

Do i need to say anything.

Thank you BCCI for saving our cricket!!

We have not been playing IPL and stuff for the last few years and the results are for all to see, whereas the team having most players playing in there has been whitewashed by first England, and now Australia. And guess what? they are not doing well even in that format of the game coz last i checked they just managed to drew a 20/20 series with Australian team who had 6-7 players making their debuts.

So over all it turned out to be very good for us.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom