What's new

Iran Air Force Unveils Underground Base

Mehdipersian

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Hossein Baqeri and Iran’s Army Commander Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi visited the subterranean air base, named Oghab-44 (Eagle-44).
IMG_20230207_152121_299.jpg

The tactical airbase can accommodate and prepare various aircraft, including fighter jets, bombers, and unmanned aerial vehicles, for missions.
The large subterranean airbase can also receive the Air Force’s new fighter jets and prepare them for missions.

Oghab-44 is one of the several tactical underground bases of the Air Force that has been constructed across Iran in recent years considering the operational needs of the Air Force units and the civil defense requirements.

These bases that have been constructed in proportion to the needs and with high safety factor are located under the mountainous areas, so that they can be used for surprise aerial operations in the spots and at the times that the enemies would not expect.
IMG_20230207_152101_279.jpg

The underground base consists of various sections, such as an alert area, command post, warplane hangars, repair and maintenance center, navigation and airport equipment, and fuel tanks.
IMG_20230207_152123_355.jpg

The underground bases accommodate the fighter jets in safe locations and furnish the planes with electronic warfare systems and various bombs and missiles, including Yasin, Qaem and Asef, which allow for standoff aerial operations and extend the strategic range of attacks against remote targets.
1401111814021332726995474.jpg

The Iranian Air Force had already unveiled an underground drone base dubbed “Drone Base 313”. The recent years’ developments indicate that the Air Force has detailed plans to develop subterranean bases across Iran.

Is it in earthquake zone or faultline ?

Would bases similar to these be beneficial for Pakistan, like the mountain bases? Is it something we want or not?

@Signalian @PanzerKiel @Windjammer
Main problem with such bases is that there are generally only one to two entry exit points from the mountain, sort of a tunnel. A single, well placed explosion can seal off and isolate the whole airbase.

Main problem with such bases is that there are generally only one to two entry exit points from the mountain, sort of a tunnel. A single, well placed explosion can seal off and isolate the whole airbase.
These also made great sense in the days when bunker busters that could penetrate multiple meters deep into reinforced concrete or rock did not exist.

Would be worth to make a combination of both.

A few traditional/classic bases, and 1 or 2 mountain bases for storage, maintenance operations and protection of assets.

These also made great sense in the days when bunker busters that could penetrate multiple meters deep into reinforced concrete or rock did not exist.
Only multiple meters deep?

A GBU-28 won't have much of an effect on these types of bases, aside from the entrances.

Would be worth to make a combination of both.

A few traditional/classic bases, and 1 or 2 mountain bases for storage, maintenance operations and protection of assets.

Only multiple meters deep?

A GBU-28 won't have much of an effect on these types of bases, aside from the entrances.
GBU-28 has been replaced - you don’t bomb such spaces from the top. You just hit the entrances and collapse them.

Now , we need new fighter jets

These should be ready by now, one assumes:

These, multiples of these rather, we are having for couple of decades now.
Very nice.

I only recalled nuclear facilities to be in mountains, I wasn't aware of PAF also having them.

GBU-28 has been replaced - you don’t bomb such spaces from the top. You just hit the entrances and collapse them.
Yes, that is the major downside. Can't be sure the decision making here, but it appears that IRIAF wants to ensure survivability of the assets above all.

Any above ground base would just get annihilated via saturation attack from B-52's and newly modified C-130's, so ultimentaly I think this was the best course of action.

Prefer my airbase to be in a mountain than look like this;
1920.jpg

These should be ready by now, one assumes:

We haven't seen much of this for many years now, so most people assume it is closed project, but some thing it is still being worked on. I have my doubts personally.

Last edited:
We haven't seen much of this for many years now, so most people assume it is closed project, but some thing it is still being worked on. I have my doubts personally.

The development may be far advanced in one of the above mentioned underground bases. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom