What's new

Iran tests Submarine-to-Surface Missile

RAPTOR

Reaction score
IRAN LD MISSILE

Iran test-fires new submarine-to-surface missile

TEHRAN, AUG 27 (AP) Iran today test fired a new submarine-to-surface missile during war games in the Persian Gulf, a show of military might amid a standoff with the West over its nuclear activities.

A brief video clip showed the long-range missile, called Thaqeb or Saturn, exiting the water and hitting a target on the water's surface within less than a mile. The test came as part of large-scale military exercises that began August 19.

"The army successfully test fired a top speed long-range sub-to-surface missile off the Persian Gulf," the navy commander, Gen Sajjad Kouchaki, said on state-run television.

Iran routinely has held war games over the past two decades to improve its combat readiness and to test equipment including missiles, tanks and armored personnel carriers.

But today's firing of the missile came as Iran remains defiant just five days before a deadline imposed by the UN Security Council for Tehran to suspend the enrichment of uranium, which can produce both reactor fuel and material usable in nuclear warheads.

Iran said last week it is open to negotiations but it refused any immediate suspension, calling the deadline illegal.

Tehran has expressed worry about Israeli threats to destroy its nuclear facilities, which the West contends could be used to make a bomb but which Iran insists are for the peaceful purpose of generating electricity. The Islamic country also is concerned about the US military presence in neighbouring Iraq and Afghanistan.

In an advance for Iran's weapons industry, the Thaqeb is the country's first submarine-fired missile that leaves the water to strike its target, adding to Iran's repetoire of weapons that can hit ships in the Gulf.

link

Man, this country is full of surprises!
I'm curious if all these systems we came to know during past few weeks are indigenous designs.

History shows it Americans dont attack people that can defend them self

You know....i am quite impressed with Iran. They are doing a good job on their defenses. Full of surprises. But unfortunately...missiles being launched from the unreliable kilos (Black Holes) are no match for the Dolphins and Israel's arsenal of missiles......

Im not even going to mention the US Nuclear Subs (SeaWolfs)etc

You know....i am quite impressed with Iran. They are doing a good job on their defenses. Full of surprises. But unfortunately...missiles being launched from the unreliable kilos (Black Holes) are no match for the Dolphins and Israel's arsenal of missiles......
Yeah...me too!
Imho we've been underestimating their defence industry, they must have good scientists and engeneers.

Im not even going to mention the US Nuclear Subs (SeaWolfs)etc
Nuclear subs..??? :what1:

Yeah...me too!
Imho we've been underestimating their defence industry, they must have good scientists and engeneers.

I think they also have a little bit Military assiatance from Russia.:what1:

I think they also have a little bit Military assiatance from Russia.:what1:
There are unconfirmed reports that Iran strated hiring technicians and scientists from ex-Sovjet Republics as soon as USSR disintegrated.
They certainly have the money to afford such highly skilled labor.

Iran test fires new anti-ship missile
Associated Press

Tehran, Iran, August 28, 2006

Iran tested a new anti-ship missile fired by a submarine during war games, raising worries it could disrupt vital oil tanker traffic in the Gulf amid its standoff with the West over its suspect nuclear activities.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took a tough tone over the nuclear issue, saying his country's decision to pursue nuclear technology was irreversible.

His comments and the missile test on Sunday came only days before a Thursday deadline imposed by the United Nations for Tehran to suspend the enrichment of uranium, a process the United States says the Iranians intend to use to build nuclear weapons.

Enrichment can produce both reactor fuel and material for a warhead. The Thaqeb, Farsi for Saturn, is Iran's first missile that is fired from underwater and flies above the surface to hit its target, distinguishing it from a torpedo. A brief video showed the missile exiting the water and hitting a target less than a mile (about a kilometer) away.

While the missile showed some technological advances by Iran, its main importance seemed to be that it gives the country another means for targeting ships, along with the arsenal of torpedoes and other anti-ship missiles it already has.

Iran, which says its nuclear program is only aimed at generating electricity, has refused any immediate suspension and called the deadline illegal, though it says it is open to negotiations. Ahmadinejad insisted Iran's nuclear program was peaceful and said he saw no reason to give it up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1859615,00.html
The missile launch underlines Iran's ability to create havoc in the Gulf by closing off the Straits of Hormuz to oil tankers, a move that would create serious shortages and send prices soaring.
An Iranian navy commander, Sajjad Kouchaki, quoted on the broadcast, described the missile as Iranian-built, "with a very high speed and destructive power. It is also radar-evading."

the purpose is not to dominate, simply to become a high tech developed islamic nation, which all nations should strive for.

the purpose is not to dominate, simply to become a high tech developed islamic nation, which all nations should strive for.

Regrettably "Power Corrupts". Shah of Iran had the dreams of dominating the Middle East and even though aims of the current regime may very honourable, once you have achieved domination in this region what would stop Iran or any other country for that matter, from trying to impose her will on the weaker neighbours (as Saddam did when he invaded Kuwait). I am not against Iran becoming strong and am against an attack on Iran by the US. But as a Pakistani, I wouldn't want to see nuclear armed neighbours both on the East and West borders. Regimes change and their goals do as well. Best way would be to keep a balance.

Regarding the missile firing submarines and boats. These are only good against GCC countries and against unarmed oil tankers. Persian Gulf is not very deep and these don't stand a ghost of a chance against sophisticated navies such as the USN.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom