What's new

Iraq seals $4.2 deal with Russia, makes initial payment

Alshawi1234

Reaction score
Country
Iraq
A deal was made and cancelled late 2012 for suspicions of corruption. However the deal has been renegotiated, The money allocations were finally approved last month after a long dispute in the parliament. Oppositions MP's critized the deal, which further supports that it did actually go through. The contract has missed the International arms register deadline, so the has been quite secret. the only confirmed equipment is the MI-28N ans the Pantsir S-1

Here's a link from an official Russian news agency who spoke to Iraqi government officials, it is in Arabic.
العراق يبرم صفقة سلاØ* جديدة مع روسيا بشروط | روسيا | أنباء موسكو
Heres a summary of what was published in the article.
Deal signed is the same value as the previous cancelled one. *Includes attack helicopters, radars, electronics, air-defence, and other "medium and heavy equipment". Shipments will start this year, arms will be delivered as soon as they are manufactured (highly doubt it)*
The deal is more advanced than the previous one.
4 aircrafts were added to make up for the "commission" (corruption money). *

The deal also holds Russia from selling similar technology to Iraq's neighboring countries. *

The estimated cost of the HAVOC's and pantsirs are about $1.2 billion. This leaves about $3 billion of other equipment unspecified.

32-36 MI-28N

da6938862c_38618092_o2.jpg

42-50 pantsir s-1
pantsir-s1.jpg

This will fortify Russian position in Syrian conflict with Syria, Iran and Iraq comfortably in Russian camp I think a new middle east will emerge very soon facing the West backed fatso oil kings!

Beside this deal, Iraq is currently negotioating a second deal for fighter planes ( probably SU 30 MKK ), I doubt it is in this deal.

Beside this deal, Iraq is currently negotioating a second deal for fighter planes ( probably SU 30 MKK ), I doubt it is in this deal.

It's just talk, I think we should wait for something official before we get too excited.

There was news of MIG29M/M2 and SU30-MK2. But I really hope they don't go for the MIG29. There are much better options, the f-16's that are on order already have similar or superior capabilies.

SU-35's one the other hand .....

Thəorətic Muslim;4098626 said:

It means the gulf states (which had deals with Russia but were cancelled because of the Syrian issue) and a future Kurdish state. Neigboring does not mean all of the countries in the middle east. The KSA had a proposed deal for the MI-28 and S-300 which was cancelled as well.

It's just talk, I think we should wait for something official before we get too excited.

There was news of MIG29M/M2 and SU30-MK2. But I really hope they don't go for the MIG29. There are much better options, the f-16's that are on order already have similar or superior capabilies.

I agree about the Mig, I am not looking forward for Mig 35 either, its better to go for Sukhoi this time.
Though I have a feeling they would go for SU 30 instead of SU 35 because SU 35 is too high tech, high end balance changing.
The US might not agree with it, all neighbours won't welcome it.

I agree about the Mig, I am not looking forward for Mig 35 either, its better to go for Sukhoi this time.
Though I have a feeling they would go for SU 30 instead of SU 35 because SU 35 is too high tech, high end balance changing.
The US might not agree with it, all neighbours won't welcome it.

Well even if Russia agrees, deliveries won't start for another 10 years, by that time things will be much different.

I dont understand it mate..You are going for F-16s( Block 52+)..Why would you need Mig 29 or Sukhoi? It doesnt make any sense...Instead of Sukhoi you should acquire F-15s if you ask me..That would make Iraqi Air Force one of the strongest Air Force in ME

It means the gulf states (which had deals with Russia but were cancelled because of the Syrian issue) and a future Kurdish state. Neigboring does not mean all of the countries in the middle east. The KSA had a proposed deal for the MI-28 and S-300 which was cancelled as well.

And why would the Gulf States buy Russian, when the Western Toys are much more shinier?

I dont understand it mate..You are going for F-16s( Block 52+)..Why would you need Mig 29 or Sukhoi? It doesnt make any sense...Instead of Sukhoi you should acquire F-15s if you ask me..That would make Iraqi Air Force one of the strongest Air Force in ME

You dont always need 250+ F-15/16s.

Iraq isnt going to field the armies Saddam once did, the country still needs to think as a nation rather than their sects. And that will take a while.

Iraq is rebuilding from the bottom up, buying a couple fighters and getting proefficient with those will enable better training for future military personnel. Rather than having to retrain thousands of pilots, they just have to train a couple hundred.

They dont even trust AIM 120 amraam to Iraq yet, they will not allow us F15 eagles, neither strike eagles.
+ Western stuff is much more expensive, the US offered Iraq apache instead of MI 28 with the apache being 3x the price of a Mi 28.

Thəorətic Muslim;4099391 said:
And why would the Gulf States buy Russian, when the Western Toys are much more shinier?

You dont always need 250+ F-15/16s.

Iraq isnt going to field the armies Saddam once did, the country still needs to think as a nation rather than their sects. And that will take a while.

Iraq is rebuilding from the bottom up, buying a couple fighters and getting proefficient with those will enable better training for future military personnel. Rather than having to retrain thousands of pilots, they just have to train a couple hundred.

That is what I'm hoping too. Having high quantities of equipment doesn't make an army strong. It just creates high budget maintenence and a logistics hell. Buying quality equipment and having good trained operators and maintenece crews is exactly what's needed.

Don't underestimate the new Russian equipment. The Havoc and Apache have just about the same capabilies with the Havoc being much cheaper. Russia makes the best air defence weapons in the world. The new fighters such as the upgraded SU 30 and SU 35 are just as capable as the American and European fighters, while costing much less. Besides Iraq can probably get western arms as well. The only problem is the west demands too much before selling weapons, but nonetheless the Iraqi government could make it happen through negotiations. After all Iraq is considered a "US Ally".

Having alternative arms market means pressure on the US to sell modern weapons to Iraq as well. First the US government was refusing to sell Apaches to Iraq, but when Havoc deal went on they finally agreed to sell, after observations of both the Apache and the Havoc, The Iraqi governemnt decided that the Havoc was for suitable.

A deal was made and cancelled late 2012 for suspension of corruption. However the deal has been renegotiated, The money allocations were finally approved last month after a long dispute in the parliament. Oppositions MP's critized the deal, which further supports that it did actually go through. The contract has missed the International arms register deadline, so the has been quite secret. the only confirmed equipment is the MI-28N ans the Pantsir S-1

Here's a link from an official Russian news agency who spoke to Iraqi government officials, it is in Arabic.
العراق يبرم صفقة سلاØ* جديدة مع روسيا بشروط | روسيا | أنباء موسكو
Heres a summary of what was published in the article.
Deal signed is the same value as the previous cancelled one. *Includes attack helicopters, radars, electronics, air-defence, and other "medium and heavy equipment". Shipments will start this year, arms will be delivered as soon as they are manufactured (highly doubt it)*
The deal is more advanced than the previous one.
4 aircrafts were added to make up for the "commission" (corruption money). *

The deal also holds Russia from selling similar technology to Iraq's neighboring countries. *

The estimated cost of the HAVOC's and pantsirs are about $1.2 billion. This leaves about $3 billion of other equipment unspecified.

32-36 MI-28N

da6938862c_38618092_o2.jpg

42-50 pantsir s-1
pantsir-s1.jpg
Iraq needs to develop its air force with at least 250 4.5 generation planes and yes with attack helicopters and new tanks

Back
Top Bottom