What's new

Is China's rise unstoppable?

A clear majority of Brits, Germans, Spaniards, Canadians, French people, Poles, Australians and South Koreans believe China will supplant America as the world's leading superpower (and quite a few of those think it's already happened).

A multi-polar world, with at least 3 superpowers (NATO, Russia, China) is imo the most stable organisation for Earth's peoples.

Of course, India could become the 4th superpower in time. I suggest we allow 'm.

For China, yes, they have a lot of contracts open in Africa at the moment.
It'll be interesting to see how much goodwill the Chinese are able to keep going in Africa over the long run. Your future success depends on goodwill, Chinese, be good stewards of what you're the boss of.

Allowing Tibet a lot more autonomy, NOW or SOON, would show the world you don't want to become a dictatorial superpower.

.... I don't imagine Tibetan monks setting themselves on fire one after another for years now, without some serious complaints about how the Chinese are treating Tibetans. Might be time for the Chinese leadership to quietly speak to those monks about what grieves them, and see if some of their wishes can be granted by now.

Lost culture? :what:

I think his beef is with consumerism.

they may just find themselves as joyless, consumerist robots like the citizens of the western nations they so desperately want to emulate.

And it is a valid concern for all countries, not just China.

Would people be less happy if, instead of two cars, three TVs, and four computers in each house, they focused more on the intangible rewards of success: more time with family, more time to pursue passions, etc?

In essence, we are all living to work, instead of working to live, but that is the bargain demanded by a growth-obsessed economic mindset. I am not advocating neo-Luddism, since many of the fruits of technological progress are indispensable, but sometimes one pines for a 'simpler' life in a chalet in an apline meadow...

Read my post again: I didn't say the West doesn't want China to make it. I said it is apprehensive about dilution of its domination.

It is the non-dominant countries, as shown in the poll, who don't think China will make it, and that's partly due to jealousy and schadenfreude. Thirty years ago, they were all in the same boat. If China rises to the top, these other countries will have to ask themselves tough questions as to why they are still lagging. It won't be easy to blame it all on The (White) Man.

There are lots of developed non western nations. In fact the HDI index is topped by some smaller Asian and Arab ones. Even in colonial times there were other empires that could and did challenge the west: Japanese and Ottoman empire for instance.

Lost culture? :what:

Listen, every year during the Qingming Festival, I visit the graves of my ancestors to pay my respects, the same as my ancestors did thousands of years ago.

Today, I write in the same Chinese script in which Sun Tzu used to write the Art of War over 2500 years ago.

Who else can make that claim? How can I have lost touch with my roots and my culture if I can pick up a book written by Sun Tzu or Confucius and read it in the same characters that I am using to write today?

You choose the wrong example. Chinese script is a crude script barely evolved beyond hieroglyphics. I am given to understand that your characters are actually pictorial representation. It is nothing to be proud of.

In any case many Indian scripts in use today are well over 2500 years old, what is more they are far more evolved beyond hieroglyphics. Most educated Indians know 2 to 4 languages. They can read or write at least 2 or 3 languages.

You have certainly lost a great part of your culture and modern china is now digging to reclaim some of it back. But every civilization has lost part of its culture.

There are lots of developed non western nations. In fact the HDI index is topped by some smaller Asian and Arab ones. Even in colonial times there were other empires that could and did challenge the west: Japanese and Ottoman empire for instance.

I used 'West' as a shorthand for the developed world. My comment was about the emotional, not rational, reasons why some countries might want China to fail.

You choose the wrong example. Chinese script is a crude script barely evolved beyond hieroglyphics. I am given to understand that your characters are actually pictorial representation. It is nothing to be proud of.

In any case many Indian scripts in use today are well over 2500 years old, what is more they are far more evolved beyond hieroglyphics. Most educated Indians know 2 to 4 languages. They can read or write at least 2 or 3 languages.

You have certainly lost a great part of your culture and modern china is now digging to reclaim some of it back. But every civilization has lost part of its culture.

If you haven't learned Chinese, I don't think you should even comment on Chinese. Claiming Chinese is just pictures is ignorant. How do you paint a picture of complex emotions, etc?

I don't know Indian languages, so I will refrain from making disparaging comment on your languages. It's called human decency and respect.

If you haven't learned Chinese, I don't think you should even comment on Chinese. Claiming Chinese is just pictures is ignorant. How do you paint a picture of complex emotions, etc?

I don't know Indian languages, so I will refrain from making disparaging comment on your languages. It's called human decency and respect.

And maybe you should learn english again and then read my posts again to understand it. Chinese script is based on hieroglyphics and this is acknowledged by experts.

A multi-polar world, with at least 3 superpowers (NATO, Russia, China) is imo the most stable organisation for Earth's peoples.

Of course, India could become the 4th superpower in time. I suggest we allow 'm.

Who are you to allow them to be a superpower?

The superpower that will have to rise for sustained stability, peace and justice is the Muslim world.

Muslims produce 4 times as much as Hindustanis in economic output.

Muslim forex reserves are about 7 times that of Hindustanis.

Muslim collective military is about 4 times as big as Hindustanis (when populous countries like Bangladesh, Nigeria, Indonesia DO NOT spend a lot on military, so imagine when these countries militarize fully)

Fighter aircrafts, ballistic missiles, main battle tanks, armoured vehicles, submarines and surface warships, air defence and cruise missiles, attack choppers and transport, AEW&C or defence expenditure - anything you can think of, the Muslims outgun the Hindustanis by a factor of 4 to 9, mostly.

Agree......One Chinese friend taught me once how to write tree and then forest. It was incredible.

Agree......One Chinese friend taught me once how to write tree and then forest. It was incredible.
haha,maybe what you refered to is 木 & 林 or 森.
1 2 3 in Chinese is 一 二 三,can you guess how to write 4? and what about MILLION?

Back
Top Bottom