What's new

Is SUPARCO REALLY a failure?

Are you implying that PAF is also becoming another SUPARCO?
No, just glorifying it. And I say that with sarcasm while sitting a few hundred metres from the Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center

1692978825285.png

1692980267534.png

These stats tells the story of decline of Suparco, in/after 2001 when retd. Fauji duffer Generals started taking over the chairperson positions, all with just a BS degree, most likely a poor quality degree from the Army affiliate colleges.

Earlier from 1961-2001 all the Suparco heads were PhD's and all foreign qualified and all civilians. And as we know Suparco was established by the Nobel Laureate in physics, Dr. Abdus Salam in 1961.

The sad story of many other sterling institutions destroyed by the Fauji Generals. As if this wasn't enough, now almost destroyed the whole country with their greed, ignorance and lust for control and power.

Last edited:
I would attribute it to lack of stability. For such long term growth projects, you need stable government and stable economy. I don’t believe it has anything to do with lack of man power or knowledge. Knowledge and know how can be developed.

A stable economy to continuously fund growth in sector and a stable government to set forth a long term goal and to fund such programs throughout the ups and down of projects.
There are institutions in Pakistan that have thrived and have remained unscathed even after years of political instability. So, it's more about priorities.

If this is humor, it is subtle and enjoyable. But it may be real too as there is always a big debate about moon rise time in Muslim countries.

Anyway, JPL has been publishing ephemeris for over 70 years. And they are very accurate since they are used by JPL and NASA for planetary research and exploration.
slightly diverging from this topic, but I think you will enjoy looking into what we call panchang / panchangam for time keeping. Many time-space events start with looking the panchang up.

unfortunately many charlatan astrologers use it to fool the gullible but from a curiosity and learning view I found it very interesting

Ye khud ko sab kuch smajhty hain 1300 fauji officers in civil institutions .lanat ho

Aisa trajectory par Pakistan khud khatam hojai ga, saarey parhey likey log mulk se baar nikaal raahey.

Pakistan ko apna naam Duffaristan badalna parega 🤣

Yeh naam sahi hai. Aisa naam rakh kar Ishaq Dar aur saarey babbu technocrats mulk ko khatam karengey.

View attachment 948561

These stats tells the story of decline of Suparco, in/after 2001 when retd. Fauji duffer Generals started taking over the chairperson positions, all with just a BS degree, most likely a poor quality degree from the Army affiliate colleges.

Earlier from 1961-2001 all the Suparco heads were PhD's and all foreign qualified and all civilians. And as we know Suparco was established by the Nobel Laureate in physics, Dr. Abdus Salam in 1961.

The sad story of many other sterling institutions destroyed by the Fauji Generals. As if this wasn't enough, now almost destroyed the whole country with their greed, ignorance and lust for control and power.
some times I think Pakistan's doldrums are karmic payback partly for what they did as a nation to giants such as Dr Abdus Salam. Pre Islam. men like him would have been a veritable revered rshi.

Lahore-Karachi rift?
Lahoris think that every part of suparco, every project of suparco belongs to them. If some project somehow lands in Karachi, managers in lahore try to fail it. They achieve this through SPD and their links in Islamabad. Ultimately projects get, either cancelled and get transferred to lahore. In Karachi, majority of seats are anyway occupied by punjabis, who also support lahore center.

This shit is going on for ages now.

Lahoris think that every part of suparco, every project of suparco belongs to them. If some project somehow lands in Karachi, managers in lahore try to fail it. They achieve this through SPD and their links in Islamabad. Ultimately projects get, either cancelled and get transferred to lahore. In Karachi, majority of seats are anyway occupied by punjabis, who also support lahore center.

This shit is going on for ages now.
First time I'm hearing about this. Sounds a bit like Muhajir-Sindhi stuff in Karachi.

View attachment 948561

I think the story has other twists as well, below is a writeup on Quora by one Pakistani poster.

If below is true, the Fauji's can't be entirely held responsible. One General Ayub Khan approved the program, and a Politician Bhutto downgraded Suparco's importance. Declaring Ahmedis as non believers might have pushed out Dr Salam, but then others could have taken it up still (objectively speaking and keeping aside discussion on this side topic).

Overall Pakistan stopped prioritizing Suparco and gave importance to Nuclear program, seems to be the actual reason. Now the below is a post by someone on Quora, so only Pakistani's better informed can confirm or negate below writeup.

He personally requested General Ayub Khan to launch space program. General Ayub Khan was quite impressed with proposal and suggestions of Dr Salam and SUPARCO (Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission) was founded on 16 September 1961 in Karachi.

On June 7, 1962 Pakistan earned one of the biggest achievement in their history when they launched Rehber 1 with cooperation of NASA. Pakistan was third country in Asia and the tenth in the world to conduct successful spaceflight. NASA was impressed with the performance of SUPARCO and they decided to include Pakistani scientists as part of their training programs. Dr. Abdus Salam was given more authorities in SUPARCO on on 8 March 1966 and selected as Administrator.

And then “Democracy” landed in Pakistan in 70’s.

After the fall of Dhaka in 1971, the state of Pakistan notably Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was more interested to led the foundation of nuclear program in Pakistan. This was primary reason our space program went in shadows and didn't received much support. After the declaration of Ahmadis as “Non-Muslims” through constitution of Pakistan in 1973, Dr. Abdus Salam position went in jeopardy as he was an Ahmadi by faith. He received Nobel prize in 1979 which was one of the remarkable achievement of any Pakistani scientist which he earned mainly through his work at theoretical physics but it was never acknowledged at state level. I’m sorry but it is harsh reality.

On 13 December 1979, Munir Ahmad Khan arranged a meeting with General Zia ul and convinced that Pakistan should further pursue and continue their space program. SUPARCO was reorganized and Salim Mehmood became chairman of it. SUPARCO send many engineers to University of Surrey to take part in development of UO-11 which was later launched in 1984. This team later worked on design of Badr 1, Pakistan's first locally built satellite that was launched by China National Space Administration (CNSA) in 1990.

After Zia ul Haq, SUPARCO went through number failures due to lack of funds and support from federal govt. I really feel sad that SUPARCO once had potential to become one of the elite space programs in the world which went in shambles with the passage of time.

Suparco is not failure its box-office bomb.
when whole country is fucking by military militia, then what you expect.

After Zia ul Haq, SUPARCO went through number failures due to lack of funds and support from federal govt. I really feel sad that SUPARCO once had potential to become one of the elite space programs in the world which went in shambles with the passage of time.
Same story all over Pakistan for every institution and at a national level.

Yet no one does anything about it. They just repeat the same thing and complain.

No reforms done

Back
Top Bottom