What's new

Is there a rank called 'captain' in Indian Army.

acetophenol

Reaction score
Country
India
Is there are rank called captain in indian army or is it a position given to the head of a group?

lol of course there is.

Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lt. Col.
Col.
Brig.
Maj Gen
Gen
Field Marshal (Honorary)

It's there on Wikipedia

Although as far as I know, some Corps like the Medical one do not have the rank of Lieutenant. If you join the Army as a Doctor, you directly get commissioned as a Captain.

I guess the same is true for the Corps of Engineers although I'm not sure about that.

lol of course there is.

Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lt. Col.
Col.
Brig.
Maj Gen
Gen
Field Marshal (Honorary)

My question is,is captain just a position or is it a rank ie,if a Lt.col Vinod is the head of a 5 member patrol team will he be called capt . Vinod or not?

My question is,is captain just a position or is it a rank ie,if a Lt.col Vinod is the head of a 5 member patrol team will he be called capt . Vinod or not?
Captain is a rank. Lt Col Vinod will never be addressed as 'Captain', but as Lt. Col .
Well, He was Captain few years ago, then promoted to Major and then promoted to Lt. Col.

It is a rank and Lt.Col is will never ever head a 5 member patrol team.

It is a rank and Lt.Col is will never ever head a 5 member patrol team.

I was just giving an example. I was arguing with a frnd. He was telling that captain wasn't exactly a rank but a position,i.e, a lt.col can be called a capt if he is heading a team.my frnd got this info frm NCC.

5 member patrol team ??? According to my knowledge only scout team has 3/5 members. Patrol team have 10/12 people and atmost a lieutenant as it's leader. Please correct me if I am wrong

lol of course there is.

Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Lt. Col.
Col.
Brig.
Maj Gen
Gen
Field Marshal (Honorary)

It's there on Wikipedia

Although as far as I know, some Corps like the Medical one do not have the rank of Lieutenant. If you join the Army as a Doctor, you directly get commissioned as a Captain.

I guess the same is true for the Corps of Engineers although I'm not sure about that.

Wouldnt there be a Lt. Gen between a Maj. Gen and a General?

I was just giving an example. I was arguing with a frnd. He was telling that captain wasn't exactly a rank but a position,i.e, a lt.col can be called a capt if he is heading a team.my frnd got this info frm NCC.

May be this martyr from Kerala will clear your doubts:

Capt.Haneefuddin

han5.jpg

Kargil Martyr Capt. Haneef Uddin, Veer Chakra

Back
Top Bottom