Tempest II

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Is this a J-7/F-7 or a J-8?

Thanks.

2zf97jt.jpg

24oq64k.jpg

Is it a quiz? :) Looks like J-7MG to me but i may dead wrong on this one:P

no i dont see it is SD 10 missile becoz SD was recently developed by china and pic seems like 10 years old to me

checking out the website, i think its a J-10 not J-7 or J-8!!!

I think it is just a test bed. but really confused which one :) Colors of the plane tell that it is not with any active squadron of PLAAF.

Is this a J-7/F-7 or a J-8?

Thanks.

2zf97jt.jpg

24oq64k.jpg

Its a J-8, see the below pic and compare the fins above the wing just where the hard point or pylon is to one of the pics above posted by you, similar fins above the wings where there is pylons and J-8s are known to be able to carry PL-12s, while J-7s are not known to carry such PL-12s, since they have very weak radars, not capable to support such long range missiles.

Plus the wing design, fuselage design, size of the wing, body and tires all match the J-8, J-7 is smaller in size.

J-8F8.jpg

While I agree that we have all along been shown J-8s with SD-10s and I am finding it hard to tell is the fences on the wings are for J-7s ot for J-8s. It is definately not a late model J-7s - it would be an early model if it is a J-7. Look at the photo again and there is a third fence under the wing.

I cannot tell the size of the wheel but I think the wing looks too smal for a J-8.

Thanks for the discussion and contributing.

Concerning the radar, you have the KLJ-6F advertised for use with MRAAMs, i.e. SD-10.

nbpt13.jpg

Looking again, I would expect a J-8 to have more clearence with the tarmac.

rhiw79.jpg

Back
Top Bottom