What's new

"ISI has to change its strategic thrust": Gen Mullen

King Julien

Reaction score
Country
India
ISI fomenting 'chaotic activity' in Kashmir: US​

DUBAI: In a damning indictment, a top US General has said the ISI is fomenting "chaotic activity" in Kashmir and Afghanistan and asked the Pakistani spy agency to change its "strategic thrust".

The US is having "discussions" with the Pakistani leadership on this issue, Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said.

Elaborating, he said the ISI has been supporting militant groups in Kashmir and the Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA) bordering Afghanistan.

"I believe that in the long run the ISI has to change its strategic thrust which has been to foment chaotic activity you know in its border countries," Mullen, who has travelled to Islamabad for nearly a dozen times in the past one year, said.

"... that has been a Pakistan view to its own survival and its own security. And I think in the long run that's got to change," he said in a interview to Qatar-based Al-Jazeera TV.

"What I mean is that they have clearly focussed on support of ... historically of militant organisations both east (India) and west (Afghanistan). I mean that's been a focus of theirs in Kashmir historically as well as in FATA. And I think ... that fundamentally has to change," he said.

His remarks came when he was asked to explain what he meant by saying that the ISI had a strategic thrust to foment chaos in neighbouring countries.

Describing ISI's close links with the Taliban as "another extraordinarily complex" relationship, Mullen said: "And it's one that I've spoken very publicly about."

At the same time, he said ISI has also provided "some very positive intelligence" in the past.

"...the ISI has also served ... some very positive intelligence needs both in the country and certainly between our two countries," he said.

"So, I think it's something we keep discussing, keep looking at. In the long run, its about the security for Pakistan and better security in the region for both those countries."

Mullen also said that the US was having discussions with the Pakistani leadership on how to change ISI's focus.

"There are discussions which have been ongoing in respect to that and the leadership recognises that and there is a big challenge dealing with that based on what their history is and what they need to do for the future," he said.

So the Yanks have decided to play their Trum-Card. The Timings great especially when the US is taking on the Taliban at full thrust in Afghanistan. Since India has became their Darling they will do their best to suffice their intersts with NewDelhi , but not so vigourously.
History is Repeating it self. Last Time it was the Soviet-Union which tried play around the Khaibar Pass now its Uncle-Sam .
Kashmir is pivotal. We have gaved lives for the Kashmiri Freedom Struggle and will not dare to give more . Well they certinly are pushing us to negotite for the Back Door Exit From Afghanistan .Frankly speaking i dont think tat the guys in US and Nato are interested to go Further into Afghanistan after Taliban etc that is why we are witnessing a sudden change to tone .The moment is Decisive . Freedom is not so far away .

Mullen should say the same for RAW as well but wait then he will have to change his own thrust inorder to achieve that.

so they want to do calculations for us :lol:
actually that has always been their wish

"There are discussions which have been ongoing in respect to that and the leadership recognises that and there is a big challenge dealing with that based on what their history is and what they need to do for the future," he said.

Very interesting, The push to change ISI is coming from the US and GoP, but the challenge is still the supporting of rogue organizations. Like everyone is speculating ISI wants to keep these rogue organizations in the back pocket for the future, and that metallity has to be changed for betterment.

Mullen says Pak's ISI fomented chaos in neighbouring countries - Yahoo! India News

Mullen says Pak's ISI fomented chaos in neighbouring countries

Fri, Jul 24 08:30 PM
New Delhi, July 24 (ANI): US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen has said that Pakistan's intelligence agency ISI is "fomenting chaos in its border countries". Admiral Mullen also said he believes that Al-Oaeda leader Osama Bin Laden is hiding in Pakistan.

"I believe that in the long run the ISI has to change its strategic thrust which has been to foment chaotic activity you know in its border countries. They have clearly focused on support of historically of militant organisations both east and west. I mean that's been a focus of theirs in Kashmir historically as well as in FATA. And I think that fundamentally has to change," Admiral Mullen told Al Jazeera in an interview.

Admiral Mullen termed the relationship between Pakistan's main spy agency, the ISI and the Taliban as an "extraordinarily complex relationship."

On being asked whether he thought that Al- Qaeda leadership was in Pakistan, Admiral Mullen said, "I do." He gave the same response on the query of Osama Bin Laden being in Pakistan.

He also revealed that Al Oaeda was on top of the US list of priorities, as the country believed that the terror organization could strike America from Pakistan's restive tribal areas. (ANI)

Ever saw one country talking about other allied country like that?:disagree:

^^not when you are talkin about US

anyways its nothing new

Mullen also said that the US was having discussions with the Pakistani leadership on how to change ISI's focus.

A very moot point. Zardari might just bite this one. The ISI might be disbanded as a prequisite for more financial aid to Pakistan and the subsequent American withdrawal.

The ISI might come in a different avatar, more smaller and less independant and less potent.

However this might leave a big strategic imbalance affecting both Central Asia and South Asia. Indian 'rebuilding' process in Afghanistan will go unhindered, as well as 'activities' in Balochistan.

With the ISI not sponsoring any 'taliban' or kashmiri faction, the Afghanis and Indians will waltz in Pakistan, destabilising and upsetting the strategic balance !

Interesting times ahead if the Americans and Mr Zardari get talking.

A very moot point. Zardari might just bite this one. The ISI might be disbanded as a prequisite for more financial aid to Pakistan and the subsequent American withdrawal.

The ISI might come in a different avatar, more smaller and less independant and less potent.

However this might leave a big strategic imbalance affecting both Central Asia and South Asia. Indian 'rebuilding' process in Afghanistan will go unhindered, as well as 'activities' in Balochistan.

With the ISI not sponsoring any 'taliban' or kashmiri faction, the Afghanis and Indians will waltz in Pakistan, destabilising and upsetting the strategic balance !

Interesting times ahead if the Americans and Mr Zardari get talking.

I don't think Zardari will be able to go that far, even if he wishes to. He will either be dethroned or may be killed. ISI enjoys a huge support from all strata of Pakistani populace, and most importantly the army. It will take more than Zardari to 'dismantle' ISI even if US is hell bent on doing so.

Again this just demonstrates the mentality of the yanks for thier failures in Afghanistan yep blame the ISI its just too simple we have too many internal problems for the ISI to deal with.

Disbanding the ISI is not going to be easy...I think ISI is the single greatest weapon Pakistan has produced over the years....

If Pakistan loses this....it has lost half the battle for Kashmir right there....

Frankly I think Mullen is just making statements to appease India and show us that they are in our corner....
Nothing is going to happen...if it does...I can definitely see the head of state in Pakistan who orders this being assasinated!

We have gaved lives for the Kashmiri Freedom Struggle and will not dare to give more ..

Great to learn that you gave lives for "Kashmir Freedom Struggle" and will not dare to give more ...but friend what lives are you talking about.If you are talking about the lives of your soldiers then I appreciate that but on the other hand if you are talking about terrorists being trained by ISI to squander their lives in order to achieve cheap publicity on International stage then it is highly condemnable.If you are highlighting these terrorist's lives then I have just two questions to you. First, can you also give your life like these terrorists for the "Cause" and Secondly, Then doesn't India also has the moral right to reciprocate the proxy war in "Baluchistan" for their "Freedom Struggle".

Regards.

Disbanding the ISI is not going to be easy...I think ISI is the single greatest weapon Pakistan has produced over the years....

If Pakistan loses this....it has lost half the battle for Kashmir right there....

Frankly I think Mullen is just making statements to appease India and show us that they are in our corner....
Nothing is going to happen...if it does...I can definitely see the head of state in Pakistan who orders this being assasinated!

Why should Pakistan disband ISI which is the first line of defence what exactly is the US to trying to achieve?

Could India disband RAW or USA disband CIA which is practically impossible Mullen is just making a fool of himself by issuing such statements.

I am sure they have plans for India also . Right now i belive they are in a phase of setting the stage up .To be Honest neither ISI is going to change its ajenda Neither the Establishment in US would Force it to a degree where a change could brought about .Its one of their long term Interests .And they always like to be the middle man and take the max juice out of it .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom