What's new

Directorate of Inter Services Intelligence: Updates & Discussions

VisionHawk

Reaction score
Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI)

ISI is one of the best and very well organized intelligence agency in the world. It was founded in 1948. In 1950 it was officially given the task to safe guard Pakistani interests and national security inside and outside the country.Its primery objectives are not only to safeguard Pakistani interests, but also, reinforcing Pakistan’s power base in the region.

The ISI is tasked with collection of of foreign and domestic intelligence; co-ordination of intelligence functions of the three military services; surveillance over its cadre, foreigners, the media, politically active segments of Pakistani society, diplomats of other countries accredited to Pakistan and Pakistani diplomats serving outside the country; the interception and monitoring of communications; and the conduct of covert offensive and wartime operations. Functions of the ISI include gathering foreign and domestic intelligence and synchronizing the intelligence of the military services. The agency maintains surveillance of foreign diplomats in Pakistan, Pakistani diplomats abroad, and politically active members of Pakistani society. It monitors its own staff, the media and foreigners. It tracks and intercepts communications and engages in covert offensive operations.

ISI is headquartered in Islamabad and works under a Director General, a serving Lieutenant General of the Pakistan Army. There are three Deputy Director Generals-designated DDG (Political), DDG (External) and DDG (General). The ISI is staffed mainly by personnel deputed from the police, para-military forces and some specialized units of the Army. There are over 25,000 active men on its staff. This figure does not include informants and assets. It is organized into six to eight divisions .

Structure of ISI

Joint Intelligence X: JIX

It serves as the secretariat which co-ordinates and provides administrative support to the other ISI wings and field organizations. It also prepares intelligence estimates and threat assessments.It provides administrative support to the other major divisions and regional organizations of the ISI.

Joint Intelligence Bureau (JIB)

One of the largest and most powerful divisions of the ISI, monitors political intelligence.The JIB consists of three subsections, with one subsection devoted to operations involving India, other operations involve, anti-terrorism and VIP security.

Joint Counter Intelligence Bureau (JCIB

Responsible for oversees intelligence operations in Central Asia South Asia, Afghanistan, the Middle East, Israel and Russia also responsible for field surveillance of Pakistani diplomats stationed abroad, if need be monitoring foreign diplomats as well .

Joint Intelligence/North (JIN)

Conduct ISI operations for Jammu and Kashmir , including monitoring Indian forces deployed within disputed Kashmir forcefully held by India.

Joint Intelligence Miscellaneous (JIM)

Responsible for covert offensive intelligence operations and war time espionage.

Joint Signal Intelligence Bureau (JSIB)

It includes Deputy Directors for Wireless, Monitoring and Photos, operates a chain of signals intelligence collection stations, and provide communication support to its operatives. It aslo collects Intelligence through monitoring of communications channels of neighboring countries.It has a chain of stations that track and collect intelligence signals along the Indo-Pakistani border, and it provides communications assistance for freedom campaigns in Kashmir.
A sizeable number of the staff is from the Army Signal Corps. It is believed that it has its units deployed in Karachi, Lahore and Peshawar.

Joint Intelligence Technical (JIT)

Not much is know about this section however it is believed that JIT include a separate explosives section and a chemical warfare section.

The ISI maintains one more primary sections in addition to the seven outlined above that is the Joint Intelligence Technical division.

At first, the ISI focused primarily on domestic espionage, such as tapping telephone conversations and monitoring internal political affairs. Because of its narrow scope, it was reportedly unable to locate an Indian armored division during the Indo-Pakistani War in 1965. When the war was over, Ayub appointed General Yahya Khan to chair a committee to evaluate the ISI and its subdivisions . From 1983 to 1997, the ISI reportedly trained over 80,000 Afghan Mujahideen for campaigns in Afghanistan. During the 1990s, the ISI grew into a powerful and questionable organization. It is said to function as an “invisible government” and is frequently called “a state within a state.” .On September 2001, President Musharraf appointed a new Director General for ISI, Lieutenant General Ehsanul Haq

Information gathered by vision hawk from different sources

This ISI is really loyal to country and performs such heroic like we normal used to hear, read in newspapers and see in TV channels and media of India or it is a party of KING MAKERS in Pakistan..... Is there anybody in army and agencies that feel for this country and poor muslim countrymen??

May ALLAH keep blessings on Pakistan, i would love to know more about this issue and my question on this reply, i think very soon we will be needing the spirit to sacrifice everyting for Islam and our country.

And need to know more about the ISI and any other agencies that are doing the same thing like ISI if any body know it, i will be glad to know, i want to know the supream guardians of our country :)

[Mod Edit: Please edit your posts to add further points. Posting multiple times in succession is a futile exercise]

mansoor_aq said:
This ISI is really loyal to country and performs such heroic like we normal used to hear, read in newspapers and see in TV channels and media of India or it is a party of KING MAKERS in Pakistan..... Is there anybody in army and agencies that feel for this country and poor muslim countrymen??
You must know what is Army made up of. They are also Pakistani's and they do think about the country though there are certain elements in army which may not be very loyal to the country but thier numbers are extremely low. ISI is a good agency very good and as far as the Indian media is concerned you know they alway show every thing related to Pakistan as bad.

A.Rahman said:
You have to give some kind of exam.

Question - how did they manage to get such a stranglehold on Pakistan?

Eagle_Defender said:
How i join ISI

There is 1 in-take every year for the position of I.O (intelligence officers). its a grade 17 appointment. You could get in touch with the office of public service comission or keep a look out for their add in the paper.

Their is a written test and an interview, tens of thousands of ppl take it. If u pass the initial test than their is an other series of tests.

The whole process from application to induction for training takes 8-9 months.

Your basic requirment is a bacholars degree but most of the ppl applying have a masters or even a PHD as it is considered a very coverted position.

If ur up for it than do join by all means as it is one hell of a job. Ull love it.

I hope it helps.:smile:

TexasJohn said:
Question - how did they manage to get such a stranglehold on Pakistan?

Q?- How did u manage to write such utter crap???..............based soully n only on hear say n devoid of any evidence.

But do try to prove me wrong by producing an credible evidence that u have in support of ur crap.;)

Jana said:
hey they can do anything

indians dont need to present a proof :biggrin:

ISI phobia ;)

Knowing absolutely nothing about me, it's interesting how you assume I am Indian!!!:rolleyes: Why is that? I am only repeating what several of my Pakistani friends here in town tell me. One of them is from Lahore, whose uncle ( Dad's brother) is a colonel in the ISI, and he basically tells me nothing ( of consequence) happens without their approval.

AS far as the Bush administration is concerned, Pakistan may be a “key strategic ally”, but it is also a hotbed of Islamic militancy, an enemy of Israel, and a nation that barely disguises its hostility to the US.

Even worse, Pakistan just never seems to “get with the programme,” as they say in Washington. This unflattering viewpoint was underlined for all to see during US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice’s recent visit to Pakistan.

Secretary Rice reportedly demanded President Pervez Musharraf inflict more punishment on the tribes of North Waziristan and clamp down on Taliban supporters in Balochistan. She demanded Pakistan intensify efforts to root out Al Qaeda supporters and curb its Islamic parties.

One really wonders how much more Pakistan is expected to give. Since coming to power, President Musharraf has been forced by Washington to first abandon, then declare war on its creation, the Taliban, and give up Pakistan’s historic strategic interests in Afghanistan. Then, Musharraf was forced to purge Pakistan’s ablest generals, who had put him into power. They were replaced by officers approved by Washington.

ISI was transformed from one of the world’s finest intelligence agencies into a compliant servant of the government that, like CIA, abandoned its professionalism and duty to the nation by allowing itself to become politicised.

The struggle for freedom in Kashmir was abandoned and reclassified as “Islamic terrorism”, handing a huge victory to the Indians, who gleefully crowed they were getting revenge for Kargil. To the outside world, Pakistan seemed to admit it had indeed been a hotbed and sponsor of terrorism.
There are persistent reports that Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal, its key to survival against mighty India, has been put under some degree of US “supervision”. Just how much remains uncertain.

Britain’s nuclear weapons cannot be used without US approval. Have Pakistan’s nuclear weapons been similarly put under joint control? We don’t know, but we do know that the Bush administration wants to deprive Pakistan of its nuclear weapons. In fact, Bush even told Britain’s Tony Blair in 2003 that once he finished off Iraq he would “go on” to deal with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.

On top of all this, Islamabad has been forced to wage war against its own people as part of the so-called war on terrorism. Washington’s insistence that Pakistan break its traditional autonomy agreement with the tribes of the NWFP destabilises Pakistan and undermines its national integrity.

Each step along this painful route of submission has increasingly angered and dismayed Pakistanis. President Musharraf has bent over so far backwards that his head is almost touching the ground.

It’s hard to think what more he can do to meet Washington’s never-ending demands. As Foreign Minister Khurshid Kasuri pointedly observed, the government now has 90,000 troops in Waziristan battling its own tribesmen.

Pakistan’s reward for obeying Washington’s requests is three billion to four billion dollars. But this amount is not enough to make up for forcing Pakistan to repeatedly violate its own national self-interest. If Pakistan is truly America’s “most important ally in the war on terrorism”, as Washington claims, then the price for this cooperation should be much higher.

The US is spending $6.1 billion a week alone in Iraq, and another $1.5 billion to $2 billion weekly in Afghanistan. To quote the late President Ziaul Haq, three to four billion dollars per annum is “peanuts.”

Even hints from Washington that it may finally supply modern F-16 models hardly compensates for what Pakistan has been through. Nor does it seriously alter the dangerous military imbalance between Pakistan and India. The US just announced it will provide $2 billion of arms and trucks to its Afghan sepoys. Surely, Pakistan deserves better? Perhaps it’s time for President Musharraf to start demanding a change.

http://dawn.com/2006/07/06/op.htm#2

The three unsubstantiated points one instantly realizes in the article are: Pakistan being Israel's enemy, Pakistan's nuclear arsenal being under American supervision and Bush going on to deal with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan after Iraq. Such claims can hardly be supported by factual information.

Pakistan has never claimed to be Israel's enemy. Infact, it has always claimed that Israel should have no worries in this regard. Nowadays, there are contacts being initiated behind the scenes.

Pakistan's nuclear arsenal is securely under control of its Nuclear Command. The US had proposed placing its safeguards but such proposals were outrightly rejected.

Bush would deal with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan after Iraq? Hardly so. He has his hands full with Iran and North Korea at the moment. Even after those two are dealth with, it seems highly unlikely since the Sauds are his best buddies while Pakistan's case is too complicated to be either in the black or white.

Its going to take years for US to get the job done in Iraq and Afghanistan, Iran and North Korea are next in line.
Can US afford to open up another front in Pakistan?
Not if we restore democracy and eliminate fundamentalim in our country.

The threat is not the US but its coming from the inside.

The threat is not the US but its coming from the inside.......yes and its from bloody mulla's...

I want to Join ISI. Some one know about the tests taken by ISI(About their Kind). And when and where vacancies are available. I have heard that peoples are taken from military, is it right.

Salam
i think they take the candidate from both i.e;from Govt. & from civilians as well depending upon the ability they have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom